Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Heathrow has just updated the strike FAQ with details on "Travelling on a strike day - what you may notice and how you should prepare:"
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
The inability to change long haul flights is odd. Presumably it's only so as not to unleash a flood of calls to the call centre... Esp given Virgin is considering diverting flights to LGW:

Monday 5 August

These flights may arrive into Gatwick
VS138 – New York-JFK- London Heathrow (departing 4 August)
VS154 – New York-JFK - London Heathrow (departing 4 August)
VS104 – Atlanta- London Heathrow (departing 4 August)
VS158 – Boston- London Heathrow

These flights may depart from Gatwick
VS3 – London Heathrow – New York JFK
VS153 London Heathrow – New York JFK
VS1 - London Heathrow – New York Newark
VS157 - London Heathrow – Boston
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kt74
The inability to change long haul flights is odd. Presumably it's only so as not to unleash a flood of calls to the call centre... Esp given Virgin is considering diverting flights to LGW:
Would be good to know what flights they plan on cancelling too!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:55 pm

Hi I am travelling with BA on 6th August when Heathrow are striking, I am travelling from Manchester to Heathrow and then to Miami with my kids. I have a 2 hour 20 minute gap between connections and I’m so worried with the staff going on strike there won’t be anyone to guide or take us. We arrive in terminal 5 and Miami flight is from terminal 3. Is there any other way of getting to terminal 3 without the buses Heathrow run? Can we walk? Get a taxi?

I am sick with worry its our its our first family holiday and I don’t know what to do or expect. Can anyone help please?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Sawyer38
Hi I am travelling with BA on 6th August when Heathrow are striking, I am travelling from Manchester to Heathrow and then to Miami with my kids. I have a 2 hour 20 minute gap between connections and I’m so worried with the staff going on strike there won’t be anyone to guide or take us. We arrive in terminal 5 and Miami flight is from terminal 3. Is there any other way of getting to terminal 3 without the buses Heathrow run? Can we walk? Get a taxi?

I am sick with worry its our its our first family holiday and I don’t know what to do or expect. Can anyone help please?
From LHR web site:

From Terminal 5 to:

Terminal 2 or Terminal 3

Free shuttle trains are free for travel between Terminal 5 station and Heathrow Central station (Terminals 2 & 3). Please note from 20 May 2018, to travel on the shuttle trains, you can get a free Inter-Terminal Transferticket from the machines in the station. You can also use an Transport for London Oyster card or a contactless payment card which will not be charged when travelling between terminals.

Average journey time: 20 minutes

Frequent London Underground trains also run between the terminals. The transfer is only free if you use a Transport for London Oyster card or a contactless payment card.

Average journey time: 16 minutes
Sawyer38 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:03 pm

thank you but we have 5 kids with us they don’t have contactless cards
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by BKft
Heathrow has just updated the strike FAQ with details on "Travelling on a strike day - what you may notice and how you should prepare:"
It worth noting this says:

Whilst most flights will operate as scheduled, to ensure your comfort, safety and security during this time, we are working with our airline partners to consolidate and reduce the number of flights operating during the strike period. Unfortunately, this does mean that some passengers will be moved onto different flights by their airlines.
Given the number of BA flights at Heathrow I think it is fair to say we can expect to see some cancellations come into the schedule over the weekend.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
There is no need for a contactless card when using the free Heathrow Express transfer. There is a machine which issues free tickets which operate the barriers.

Just head to arrivals at terminal 5 and follow the signs for trains.

Edit: Leaving this here because it is factually right but BAEC makes good points below and in your shoes I would follow their advice.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by lcylocal; Aug 2, 2019 at 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 is easy on the train. The trains are operated by GWR and TFL so not affected by the strike.

Are you on the 10:40 MIA flight?
Sawyer38 likes this.
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Whatever you do don’t leave the terminal. If your Miami flight is on same ticket as the domestic then you are fully protected. Follow signs for Transfer to T3 and you should be fine.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Great I’m booked for 5th India to NYC.

BA long haul after years, what luck!
Definitas likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 is easy on the train. The trains are operated by GWR and TFL so not affected by the strike.

Are you on the 10:40 MIA flight?
yes I am on that flight
madfish likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by BAEC

Whatever you do don’t leave the terminal. If your Miami flight is on same ticket as the domestic then you are fully protected. Follow signs for Transfer to T3 and you should be fine.
sorry to be dumb I’ve never done this before but what do you mean by protected and how would I leave the terminal? Never flown from Heathrow before
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I could do with switching my DUB-LHR to DUB-LCY if they consolidate my flight. Hoping they open up that option...
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry to be dumb I’ve never done this before but what do you mean by protected and how would I leave the terminal? Never flown from Heathrow before
Protected = if you miss your Miami flight you would be put onto the next available at no cost.

leaving the terminal is easy, you just follows the signs for arrivals. Once through the terminal and into the main arrivals area simply follow the signs for the Heathrow Express and take it one stop to Heathrow T2 and T3. Then go back through security.
Sawyer38 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.