Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Raffles

Alex is partying in Madrid on Monday at the A350 launch dinner - 00.45 scheduled finish!
pathetic and totally the wrong media message when he faces a real threat from the pilots too. Party while the pax are stuck in security. Brilliant.
Does he get - or listen to - ant PR advice, or does he get it on the cheap like those awful badly fitting suits he wears?
lhrpete and rapidex like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by DFB_london

pathetic and totally the wrong media message when he faces a real threat from the pilots too. Party while the pax are stuck in security. Brilliant.
Does he get - or listen to - ant PR advice, or does he get it on the cheap like those awful badly fitting suits he wears?
Well actually the BA A350 flight BA460 that he is on (Monday 5th) is a Press Flight. So the media will already be at the Airport and on board exclusively in the new Club Suites.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
It seems the restrictions on hand luggage are unique to BA and no increase in check in bags will be allowed to compensate.

That should p*ss people on HBO fares off nicely during the holidays. I hope it's made clear that it's a BA and not HAL restriction.
cauchy likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Didn’t someone say there would be an update at 5 pm?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is - by CWS standards - a lot of gizmo overlap, so if it was me I'd be wanting to reduce that somewhat rather than having 4 - 5 items that do similar things, but I guess you left home with all of that. I've trimmed down my inventory for next week, my Starwood metal water bottle is staying at home. That said, I would expect the shoulder bag would be ok, that would get under the seat in front hypothetically given those dimensions. The trick would certainly be to carry it well above floor level into the security area

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
That said Amsterdam and LBA are prime cancellation flights. I assume if my checked bag gets to Amsterdam but I don't have time to collect it (ie If I end up having to go back on the plane I arrive on) that I will get it at some point. In theory I arrive in on the 5pm and out on the one at 21.20 and so plenty of time to collect and recheck, but I know they sometimes select an Amsterdam to remove as they are so frequent, the one before me on the way out was cancelled.
Yes, they would be on the radar for cancellation, I'm afraid. The other option is to perhaps switch to Hilton Garden Inn at T2 since that would be relatively quick, almost en route for T3 to T5. Or the Sofitel!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
Didn’t someone say there would be an update at 5 pm?
I think that is 5 pm tomorrow.
ringingup likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lhrpete
It seems the restrictions on hand luggage are unique to BA and no increase in check in bags will be allowed to compensate.
Not that isn't the case. From BA's FAQ:
Will I be charged when I check in my hand baggage?
You will not be charged to check in your hand baggage, as long as it adheres to hand baggage dimensions and is within your hand baggage allowance.

However, as we are expecting to transport more checked bags than usual, where possible, please consolidate your belongings and keep the number of checked bags to a minimum.

Please ensure that your checked baggage remains within your weight allowance.
And I would expect some latitude on the checked weight limit, given the cabin weight limit is a theoretical 46 kgs.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by rapidex
If that flight isn't one of the HAL cancellations
If that flight gets proper catering it’ll be exhibit A for people to beat up on BA - beside the picture of crying children missing their flight. BA showed good sense in cancelling the ferry fight when Heathrow has issues so wouldn’t be surprised if they scale back somehow.

”BA boss swills champagne at 30,000 feet while 30,000 passengers suffer” etc, etc.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

If that flight gets proper catering it’ll be exhibit A for people to beat up on BA - beside the picture of crying children missing their flight. BA showed good sense in cancelling the ferry fight when Heathrow has issues so wouldn’t be surprised if they scale back somehow.

”BA boss swills champagne at 30,000 feet while 30,000 passengers suffer” etc, etc.
I'd forgotten about that. The VIP's are going to have a great day out, security zoo no first wing no food, be funny if their bags failed to arrive either.
nancypants, cauchy and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is - by CWS standards - a lot of gizmo overlap, so if it was me I'd be wanting to reduce that somewhat rather than having 4 - 5 items that do similar things, but I guess you left home with all of that. I've trimmed down my inventory for next week, my Starwood metal water bottle is staying at home. That said, I would expect the shoulder bag would be ok, that would get under the seat in front hypothetically given those dimensions. The trick would certainly be to carry it well above floor level into the security area

Yes, they would be on the radar for cancellation, I'm afraid. The other option is to perhaps switch to Hilton Garden Inn at T2 since that would be relatively quick, almost en route for T3 to T5. Or the Sofitel!
Contractor and different clients require access through their own secure devices (hence laptop and blackberry).
I have 2 metal water/tea bottles which I am putting in the checked bag as they sometimes get a bit of scanning attention.
Pre-paid at T4 Hilton Express and it was very cheap (sub £50) so would be loathe to change. Sofitel is an option, currently £206.
Slightly concerned that I will get to Amsterdam and not back which will be a pain if my stuff is in a hotel at LHR although I could leave it as left luggage rather than in the room.

I am overthinking this! I am obviously not a rule breaker.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
What are people's assumption to be any latitude for F pax in terms of carry on size? I travel with one IATA cabin standard sized roll-aboard as my only piece of luggage but checking it is going to be a real issue.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
BBC News reporting that talks have adjourned for the day without reaching an agreement and will resume tomorrow morning. Let's hope sense and reason prevail and they find some common ground.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
What are people's assumption to be any latitude for F pax in terms of carry on size? I travel with one IATA cabin standard sized roll-aboard as my only piece of luggage but checking it is going to be a real issue.
I suspect not. The F wing will be closed so it will just be if it has wheels then check it in.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
I hope BA's attitude in this regard comes back to bite them. On the one hand, they're likely to claim that Heathrow security is nothing to do with them and is an EC261 exceptional circumstance, but on the other hand, they're treating security as a sub-contractor to is to allow bespoke baggage limits being enforced at the entry to security.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by cauchy
I hope BA's attitude in this regard comes back to bite them. On the one hand, they're likely to claim that Heathrow security is nothing to do with them and is an EC261 exceptional circumstance, but on the other hand, they're treating security as a sub-contractor to is to allow bespoke baggage limits being enforced at the entry to security.
Indeed, it's very frustrating that if travelling with another carrier, even short haul a passenger can bring on, as per HALs own website states, the regular x2 pieces, but for those of us travelling in BA F to the other side of the world just a handbag. Not cool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.