Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Find me a good British Airways fare - ticket clinic [Beta / draft: BA FARES ONLY]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to the Find me a good BA fare ticket clinic.
This is essentially for BA / BA codeshares and partner only. If your booking is essentially on Qatar, Qantas, AA or anyone else, please go to those forums and pursue the matter there. These forums have good subject matter experts to hand.
- Please avoid very vague questions. Specific questions get specific answers. Give exact dates, start point, end point, what flexibility you have.
- As a courtesy to the other forum members, please at least read some of the advice in the posts above, and find one fare as a start point. It's a lot easier to provide constructive feedback that way.
Print Wikipost

Find me a good British Airways fare - ticket clinic [Beta / draft: BA FARES ONLY]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Muzer
€1622 on the BA website, €1780.04 on ITA Matrix. Not sure if you can drill down into any more detail on the BA site?
The only additional detail that you might get BA to show that could be a clue is the booking class used for each flight. Normally, I wouldn't have expected that to have any bearing this far ahead, but it looks like this may be a clue here.

BA's per person price for 2 people is
€1,622.00 + €543.68 = €2,165.68

At the moment, I can't get ITA to show a base fare in the €1,780.04 region for this itinerary. Using ITA now with the availability checker switched on, the per person price for 2 people on this itinerary is:-
€2,147.00 + €543.68 = €2,690.68
There are two fare components, so the GDS fee is €25.00. The comparable total price is therefore about €2,665.68.

However, if I switch the availability checker off, ITA gives a price of
€1,657.00 + €543.68 = €2,200.68
There are three fare components being used, so the GDS fee is €37.50. The comparable total price is therefore about €2,163.18. This is within tolerances for rounding errors, given the (?archaic) way in which base fares are actually handled in total price calculations and the possibility that different channels round the numbers differently.

This points to an availability problem. The two ITA quotes use different booking classes on the short-hauls. Looking at EF, it looks like the shorthaul flights have I class availability from some POS but not from others, and this I suspect may be why ITA is giving higher prices, but inconsistently over time.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by TPRun
Thanks! I'm happy with Economy (!!) but for anything better, I'd stick under £2k pp returned.
Prefer to fly LHR, and happy to stop once.

I'm seeing £575 with Qatar which doesn't seem too bad (does a BA gold have any lounge access in T4?)

Thanks in advance!
You can use the MH F lounge in T4 no worries, it's not too bad.

If you play around with the dates a bit you can get cheaper on QR too £486 https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...;m:pf;sd:1;t:f

You can also do WTP (Premium Economy) on BA out 17/2 BA143 and back 28/2 BA142 for £962 return.
TPRun likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:16 am

Does anyone know of any good J fares to West coast USA for late April or early May next year? I’m departing from DUB but willing to position. Happy to fly into SFO, LAX, LAS, PHX etc
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Has anyone got any tips for JFK/EWR around 6th / 7th May for 4-5 nights? Had a quick look around from INV (£1100 but not great times - probably needs 2 nights hotels) , DUB (Expensive) and some of the Nordics but wondered if I was missing anything else. Not in a rush and presumably will be some sales with more interesting pricing but worth asking
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Does anyone know of any good J fares to West coast USA for late April or early May next year? I’m departing from DUB but willing to position. Happy to fly into SFO, LAX, LAS, PHX etc
£2k from BHD to SEA in F
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
The fare that I found in the previous post is long since gone, but there are a few similar available on Kayak/Skyscanner but for £1100 ish and on slightly different dates. The best that I can see is MAD-HKG-CGK return in PE on CX for about £850 on Kayak.
Try playing around with GOT to SIN. I found business for ~£1.5k for your dates. (around the same price of Premium Economy)
A little above your price range but not a bad deal for that time of year.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by VFRonTop
Try playing around with GOT to SIN. I found business for ~£1.5k for your dates. (around the same price of Premium Economy)
A little above your price range but not a bad deal for that time of year.
Thanks for that, hadn't seen that! Possibly a little more than we would be willing to pay but maybe I can make it work.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:43 pm

One Month Trip to China with a 2 years old in April

Home Location: Dublin
Passengers: 2 adults, 1 child (~2.5 years old at the time of travel)
Itinerary: Beijing-Xian-Chengdu-Guilin-Shanghai (plus some towns and cities along the way) (but can be reversed or even changed .. say traveling in/from guangzhou .. etc)
Length of Trip: 25-30 days
Time of travel: End of March (22nd+) - till end of May (flexible)
Class:
DUB->China: Business
China->DUB: economy+ (preferably business)
airfare Budget: €4K max

Current search results: DUB-PKX 26th Mar (Business) - PVG-DUB 27th Apr (Economy) resulted in €3,184.25 (having PE return would up it to around €3.8K)

Questions
  1. I definitely want to fly business west to east to have flat beds (I can't sleep while sitting)
  2. on the way back, I was looking for PE, but with fixed armrests, economy seems better for the child - thoughts on this?
  3. if it matters, I have 41K avios points and I'm bronze (reset on April 8th and to retain bronze I need 2 flights + 300 TP)
    1. NOTE: I'm traveling to austin PE with AA in two weeks which would help with my status (flights + TP)
  4. my plans of inbound/outbound airports/cities are semi-flexible as long as they make sense in terms of itinerary
  5. should I wait a month or two to secure a better two way business class deal?
Sorry first post, so not sure if it's best in a separate thread, will leave to moderators to decide
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'm looking to travel from LHR to ORD on Fri 4th April 2020, preferably on a direct flight but willing to entertain reasonable connections. I can't take a flight much before 16:00 and need to arrive by 10/11am the following day.

I'll be returning from the US, after a series of internal flights which I don't think it's worthwhile to bundle together with the TATL legs, from the Miami area on Sat 18th April 2020. Ideally need to be back home in time for a sensible Monday morning start at work. I'll be doing this leg with my parents and they would much prefer a direct flight if possible (I may ask separately for advice on their flights). If a direct flight isn't possible they would prefer to fly to BHX as that is more convenient for them.

I don't seem to be able to find BA/OneWorld fares for much less than about £900 if you enter a destination of London. That comes down to about £600 if you say you're returning to "Oslo" (obviously dropping the connection from LHR). Compared to the alternative costing £450 for a direct flight out with DY at similar times to the direct BA flight, and a return flight back to CDG and then Eurostar home, I'm not 100% convinced although obviously it isn't as massive of a difference as it might be. A quick search on ITA Matrix doesn't turn up much better results.

If there is a significant saving to be had I may consider taking an extra day of A/L to travel a day later. Thanks to anyone who can find a better alternative.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Much needed advice on a trip I’m planning needed...

I’m looking to do a Seattle, Portland, Vancouver road trip in August / September from the UK, for 2 pax. To include the Boeing factory 😁

Preferable itinerary, although fairly flexible (budget is £3k for 2 ideally):
Late Aug to mid- September for 10-14 days
Minimum J (flexible on departure point, live in London)
Direct with availability to upgrade to F with Avios outbound (flexible on destination)
Transcon in J to New York (flexible in return departure point)
A day stopover in New York
Babybus back to London city

I did have a cash fare from Inverness lined up for £1.7k but that seems to have disappeared. Currently best fare from London is £1.5k. I also don’t care about mid week departures etc and if I can get 600-700 plus TPs I’ll hit Gold without any unnecessary trips which will be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for any fares i haven’t spotted!

Will
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Hi Folks,
a friend of mine is looking for a short hop ex TXL to complete the last missing 90 TP. So basically a one STOP businessclass shorthaul destination.
Destination? a beauftiful spot.
Date: 4 to 5 including one of the following weekends: 2nd/3rd May or 9th/10th May

what have i found so far? Malaga,. Dublin, Inverness, Aberdeen @ approx. 400 GBP. have i overseen something?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
I’m looking to book a multi-city trip out LHR-DEN, return BNA-LHR for late August or early September 2020. I’ve been searching using BA’s custom trip tool for about a month now and the best fare I can get for two of us in J at the moment is £3276 - that’s based on out on 01/09 and back on 15/09. I want to book as a holiday so I have more time to pay, and with one way car rental group G comes to £4200 exactly.

My conundrum is whether to go ahead and get it booked rather than risk prices rising further, or is it worth holding out until the inevitable New Year sale in the hope of picking up a better deal? I tried the old trick of booking to/from INV and saved a couple of hundred pounds, but not enough to offset the time/cost of getting there from London in the first place.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by JonX350
I’m looking to book a multi-city trip out LHR-DEN, return BNA-LHR for late August or early September 2020. I’ve been searching using BA’s custom trip tool for about a month now and the best fare I can get for two of us in J at the moment is £3276 - that’s based on out on 01/09 and back on 15/09. I want to book as a holiday so I have more time to pay, and with one way car rental group G comes to £4200 exactly.

My conundrum is whether to go ahead and get it booked rather than risk prices rising further, or is it worth holding out until the inevitable New Year sale in the hope of picking up a better deal? I tried the old trick of booking to/from INV and saved a couple of hundred pounds, but not enough to offset the time/cost of getting there from London in the first place.
As you know, if you book now don't keep looking for fares and then regret that you didn't wait for the sale.
What I do when really after just flights, but want to spread the cost, is add a cheap one night hotel stay even at LHR.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:53 am

Anything decent to South Africa for late Jan / early Feb in J. Based in DUB but willing to transition
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Question BA Business - Trip to Orlando in October

Hi Guys

Just wanting some advice on BA Business in Orlando October 2020. I need last two weeks and the dates have just become available but it's showing over £3,000 for a return business flight from LHR - MCO. This seems a tad pricey! I have gone to the 'Discover' - 'Find our cheapest flights' on the website but this still brings it up to £2833 for the dates I need. Unfortunately, they are fixed due to the children that will be on holiday with me (not travelling with me). I know this an in-demand route but I'd appreciate any help.

Many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.