Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I take as my consolation that if this is the worst thing that BA is doing to its passengers at the moment, then life must be generally OK.
Are you a betting person ?
Old May 17, 2019, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is the person in charge of BOB from Edinburgh by any chance?
Old May 17, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Even if we accept that "afternoon tea" in newspeak really = scone, jam, and cream, £5 for the said scone seems rather expensive. As others have demonstrated, it seems that a combination including tea is readily available elsewhere for £5 or less.

Wasn't there some press release when BoB came out that said it was going to be good value? A £5 scone certainly isn't good value.
adrianlondon and HMPS like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Question

OT ... I searched but did not find ... how do this Thread’s statistics compare with “Printing and Breakfast”?
IAMORGAN and wrp96 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by T8191
OT ... I searched but did not find ... how do this Thread’s statistics compare with “Printing and Breakfast”?
Not even close. That one got 289 replies and almost 116,000 views. This thread is barely at 10% of the views. More replies though!
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by origin
Please tell me there is a computerised system for counting, otherwise you would have gone through quite a few cups of tea..
OT, but when you are looking at the thread list, the number in the replies column is a hyperlink showing how many times each poster has posted.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko

Just to make sure I got this right - people first ask what the receipt will say and then order? The menu says what it says. I honestly have not met a person who orders on the basis of a receipt.

A. We're talking about the printed BoB menu. B. What BA advertises on the website clearly states what's included. So, it is once again a matter of people assuming, not paying attention and being confused. Not really the same as misleading. Many of us here accepted that if one does not bother to read the menu or what's included it can be confusing if they only get a scone. No argument there,

The menu lists a scone for GBP5. Yes, you are right, there is no other explanation. What press release? What receipt? One orders from the menu. There is no other offer to buy but what the menu says. The menu is very specific, but some here are trying to bring out the press release or the receipt as a way to justify that BA is actually offering afternoon tea. Suit yourself of course.
No people don't ask for the receipt.

The menu says "Afternoon Tea" - to not include tea is just weird and misleading.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Even if we accept that "afternoon tea" in newspeak really = scone, jam, and cream, £5 for the said scone seems rather expensive. As others have demonstrated, it seems that a combination including tea is readily available elsewhere for £5 or less.

Wasn't there some press release when BoB came out that said it was going to be good value? A £5 scone certainly isn't good value.
True , not a good value...but the pax are captive audience just like in sports stadia.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

while I don’t find the menu misleading or confusing, pricing the scone, cream and jam at £5 does go against the pledge BA’s published on its website - “all food choices under £5”
Attached Images  
IAMORGAN and navylad like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:07 pm

Although if we are going to go into a forensic level examination of the menu, does the "under £5" condition only apply to the M&S menu? In the website it said the afternoon tea wasn't M&S. Although that qualifier was only next the cream, so maybe only the cream isn't M&S?
:D! likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Although if we are going to go into a forensic level examination of the menu, does the "under £5" condition only apply to the M&S menu? In the website it said the afternoon tea wasn't M&S. Although that qualifier was only next the cream, so maybe only the cream isn't M&S?
I don’t think so. My reasoning is:-

(1) the “M&S Onboard Menu” is the umbrella term for the BOB menu. It includes drinks not by M&S too. The Menu has the header “M&S ONBOARD YOUR IN-FLIGHT FOOD AND DRINK MENU” (interestingly, with a picture of a sandwich, a scone with cream and jam and two glasses of champagne, but no tea...)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31051910-post150.html

(2) The under £5 qualifier states ‘all food choices’ not ‘all M&S food choices’. But what is a ‘food choice’? I don’t know that people would consider ‘afternoon tea’ to be a food choice. @:-)

I’m going to go away now and ponder this...

EDITED TO ADD! Look at page 16 of the menu and the description of champagne:

”Enjoy as an aperitif or as an indulgent accompaniment to our afternoon tea - find it on page 10”
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; May 18, 2019 at 2:47 am
Old May 18, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
This entire thread is a 'Storm in a (non-existent) tea cup'.

Doc Copper
IAMORGAN, origin, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
”Enjoy as an aperitif or as an indulgent accompaniment to our afternoon tea - find it on page 10”

Ahah hilarious!

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
(2) The under £5 qualifier states ‘all food choices’ not ‘all M&S food choices’.
But it's not food, it's TEA!!!
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I can confirm on my flight from LHR to MAN this morning they were serving from the Afternoon Tea section of the menu, despite the captain very clearly telling us that it was morning in his announcement (along with emphasising that we were on stand early).
IAMORGAN likes this.

Last edited by navylad; May 18, 2019 at 6:55 am
Old May 18, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
The « We are Tea » company is now offering to send a free tea bag to all BA passengers wishing to buy the Afternoon Tea. However they can’t guarantee BA won’t charge £2.50 for hot water. A clever dig at BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.