Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Theirin
Wouldn't a business usually agree and sign contracts before announcing changes?
Hahaha.

Sorry, that did make me laugh.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by TProphet
By asking the right way, I was able to figure out what the changes are. They are loaded up into BA reservation agents' computers so I just had to list out some specific routes in order to get the pricing, and cross-check them on multiple airlines.

Here's the new chart - you saw it here first.
Thanks. Doesn't look horrific for short-haul, but for long-haul (which is what I prefer to use avios for) it could be nasty. Remember the long-haul premium multipliers are already much higher following the previous major devaluation.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:22 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks, fantastic work!

For comparison then it looks like:

New Partner Rates

Assumes multipliers for W/J/F remain the same as noted below the table.

Existing Rates from the spending avios sticky

As other said, these changes don't look that bad. I don't know why they just didn't publish the new chart.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
If the leaked price is true, the change seems to be modest... But anyone have news for new pricing beyond Zone 4?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I didn't bother with longer distance award pricing, my agent was losing patience with my queries and the pricing already isn't very good on long haul awards. My focus was on popular Alaska Airlines and American Airlines routes from Seattle and LAX, cross checked with some Sri Lankan and Cathay routes of similar distance.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by TProphet
I didn't bother with longer distance award pricing, my agent was losing patience with my queries and the pricing already isn't very good on long haul awards. My focus was on popular Alaska Airlines and American Airlines routes from Seattle and LAX, cross checked with some Sri Lankan and Cathay routes of similar distance.
losing patience? haha, i have the opposite experience with most BA agents... they talk my ear off when i keep them on the phone too long... if speaking with a manchester agent, just talk with an american accent and talk about manchester... in my experience they love talking with americans about manchester, they are very proud.

anyway what i dont understand is how their computers were loaded with the May 30 pricing? why would anyone be able to book at those rates before May 30?

normally these devaluations tend to leave economy rates alone and destroy J/F redemptions, but BA tends to already be rather overpriced (compared to competitors) with regard to premium cabins, especially on partners where there is no 'off peak', and especially when there is fuel surchages. i can't imagine premium redemptions getting much worse. and the rest of their pricing seems rather in line with everyone else, though i can see them raising the 4,500/7,500 economy band as you had seen.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Sending out an email that does not provide the details of the new system is very unfair and obviously not transparent!
Would it have been fairer and more transparent for the new prices to just come into effect on 30 May with no advance notice?

At least this gives people considering making a booking, time to do so with the current rates
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cysyuen
I hope SYD-MEL for 4,500 Avios in Y will stay......
Yes this is much cheaper than booking with QF, it's a nice option to have.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:55 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Really poor communication, wave the red flag but don't provide the important details .
The smart and sleazy way to communicate...

Test the market’s reaction and see what you can get away with, access the potential churn of customers to other FF programs or competing airline alliances before you finalize how hard you’ll bring the devaluation hammer down.

Let the penny drop slowly and split the negative reactions over two press cycles to dilute it out. Make it more palatable than a sudden halving of the worth of something held by your customers.

I’d anticipate an positive ‘fluffy’ announcement about new routes or improved first class, centenary celebrations around this news, sandwiching good around bad news to further dilute out the negative PR effect.
CoMooter, Boraxo and Shl like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Do AS flights to Hawaii and Mexico price domestic F seats on the C or F chart? If the former at 2x points then they are still a decent option. not so much for the 4x pricing.

Really my major concern is not with the short haul flights (which are still cheaper than many of the alternatives) but the sweet spots like NA to SA. Will these have bogus "fuel surcharges" now?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
If zone 1 is now priced according to this chart for flights in the USA (AA, AS), this would be an improvement!
I doubt there would be any improvement. I would fully expect US flights to continue to be priced starting at band 2 even for band 1 distances so the shortest routes would become 9000 avios in Y rather than 7500 now.
Jma12 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by amt

The smart and sleazy way to communicate...

Test the market’s reaction and see what you can get away with, access the potential churn of customers to other FF programs or competing airline alliances before you finalize how hard you’ll bring the devaluation hammer down.

Let the penny drop slowly and split the negative reactions over two press cycles to dilute it out. Make it more palatable than a sudden halving of the worth of something held by your customers.

I’d anticipate an positive ‘fluffy’ announcement about new routes or improved first class, centenary celebrations around this news, sandwiching good around bad news to further dilute out the negative PR effect.
there’s a reason miles changed to AVIOS.
its similar to PESO and like any dodgy currency devalues wildly every few years.

Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: BA GGL
Wonder how long before BA changes its own redemption and earning rules?
​​​​​
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold VS Silver KL Gold
BA says there will be no increase to “our” Avios fares. They lie! They have already increased their Avios long haul economy fares by 20% in the last two weeks. Typical BA.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Originally Posted by openfly
They have already increased their Avios long haul economy fares by 20% in the last two weeks.
Isn't this a difference between peak and off-peak fares? I don't see any differences.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.