Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA
Largely from just searching rewards on different airlines I have managed to get the following table together - still a few remaining gaps so if anyone can spot rates for them let me know.

Also the multipliers between cabins have altered now.

old multiplier for band 4 was 1,2,3,4 not 1,1.5,2,4 (consistently with your top table).
Non Compos Mentis likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:58 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Still find it weird that BA didn't publish these changes ahead of time?
Old May 30, 2019, 1:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sxc
Still find it weird that BA didn't publish these changes ahead of time?
I don't think so. Other airlines just announce the changes with (deliberately) no notice, whereas BAEC's own rules based framework suggests that they have to give some sort of notice of changes. So they told everyone the changes were coming, which was the limit of their responsibilities, at least in their mindset. I'm sure they then thought it would be confusing (given that actually not everyone lives on Flyertalk) to give the precise details, and perhaps some of them weren't fully signed off by the relevant parties at the time of the first announcement. My speculation is that they felt they had done the right thing by the announcement they did give, and as we have seen upthread, anyone ringing BAEC to find out the changes, on a particular route, would be told the future position.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:42 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks, just found that myself too, same route. I just need a band 2 and 3 F route now!
Band 3 is 44000 (hkg - pek on KA)
Band 2 us 33000 (doh - amm or doh - bgw on qr)

Hope thos helps !
KARFA likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't think so. Other airlines just announce the changes with (deliberately) no notice, whereas BAEC's own rules based framework suggests that they have to give some sort of notice of changes. So they told everyone the changes were coming, which was the limit of their responsibilities, at least in their mindset. I'm sure they then thought it would be confusing (given that actually not everyone lives on Flyertalk) to give the precise details, and perhaps some of them weren't fully signed off by the relevant parties at the time of the first announcement. My speculation is that they felt they had done the right thing by the announcement they did give, and as we have seen upthread, anyone ringing BAEC to find out the changes, on a particular route, would be told the future position.
Don't agree with this. Sending an email saying 'prices are going up, here are the new ones' isn't that confusing - it happens all the time with Sky, mobile phone companies, electricity, gas etc.. Anyone simply using the booking engine would've been quoted a price and would've paid what they were quoted until the change went through. By keeping the new prices a secret, BA made the planned increase seem far worse than it actually is.
sxc likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:22 am

In my case, Band 3 Premium Economy appear to be 25,750 avios. not 27,250.

Great work, KARFA, by the way. Helps us a lot to have the new chart.

I knew the speculation but I was secretly hoping that the change was really ONLY 4 percent.
The announcement page in French, Spanish clearly stated that the increase would be ONLY 4 percent in each language. So I was confused with the expression as little as 4 percent.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sigma421
By keeping the new prices a secret, BA made the planned increase seem far worse than it actually is.
Maybe that was the exact strategy!

Make the mileage enthusiasts panic in advance, get a lot of liability off the books in that period (ie make sure that lots of "OMG I must do this before armageddon strikes!" redemptions booked), and then make minimal changes.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: Everyone!
Great chart - just confirmed the cost of my one-way business AA award from BWI-DFW went from 20K to 22K this morning
Old May 30, 2019, 5:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks, amended charts now in post 161.

Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Band 3 is 44000 (hkg - pek on KA)
Band 2 us 33000 (doh - amm or doh - bgw on qr)

Hope thos helps !
Fantastic, thanks BA Humbug ^

Originally Posted by super_agori
In my case, Band 3 Premium Economy appear to be 25,750 avios. not 27,250.

Great work, KARFA, by the way. Helps us a lot to have the new chart.
Thanks super_agori and welcome to FT!

For PE do you mean band 4 rather than band 3? On band 3 PE was 15,000, and just double checked my "go to" band 3 route of HKG-ICN and it is showing 16,500 now.

On band 4 PE was 25,000. Just double checked my "go to" band 3 route of HKG-DEL and it is showing 25,750 so you are quite right, I must have made a typo when I was doing this last night so all corrected now. Thanks.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: Some
Great work KARFA.

In an odd way, little realignments of pricing like this are actually quite a good thing as they mean large devaluations of the programme overnight are much less likely. I'm happy to pay 5% more for CX and JL redemptions if it means they aren't going to increase in price by 50% in the near future.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ KARFA - great job on the new chart, thank you ^

@ lost_in_translation - fair comment, and in principle am inclined to agree (though not sure I would call any increases “a good thing” ! .....)
Old May 30, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Great work KARFA.

In an odd way, little realignments of pricing like this are actually quite a good thing as they mean large devaluations of the programme overnight are much less likely. I'm happy to pay 5% more for CX and JL redemptions if it means they aren't going to increase in price by 50% in the near future.
I'm worryed that prices for BA routes now go up. 8000 for Band 1 BA J off peak vs 12500 for a partner, is a big difference
Old May 30, 2019, 6:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Am I right in saying that apart from Zone 1, the changes are pretty minimal?
Old May 30, 2019, 6:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Am I right in saying that apart from Zone 1, the changes are pretty minimal?
That's what I see so not as bad as everyone thought.

Great work on that table @KARFA, a lot of work no doubt (and others who added the last few some missing sections) will be referred to countless times for the future by many, many members of FT and no doubt this update will incorporated into the Main Dashboard ^
Old May 30, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AzLarry
Flights under 650 miles (ORD-DCA) are still pricing at 7500, and I do see under 1150 flights (ORD-PBI) as 9000.

Really want to confirm the post change price for 0-650 mile flights, although I expect them to go up to 9000.
AA domestic US routes in economy under 650 miles are still 7500 miles (15000 miles for AA domestic US First/Business, whatever it is called). Not sure why there is no change yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.