Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Old May 30, 19, 1:01 am
  #166  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 25,817
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Largely from just searching rewards on different airlines I have managed to get the following table together - still a few remaining gaps so if anyone can spot rates for them let me know.



Also the multipliers between cabins have altered now.

old multiplier for band 4 was 1,2,3,4 not 1,1.5,2,4 (consistently with your top table).
bchang likes this.
orbitmic is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 1:58 am
  #167  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,450
Still find it weird that BA didn't publish these changes ahead of time?
sxc is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 2:21 am
  #168  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 47,233
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Still find it weird that BA didn't publish these changes ahead of time?
I don't think so. Other airlines just announce the changes with (deliberately) no notice, whereas BAEC's own rules based framework suggests that they have to give some sort of notice of changes. So they told everyone the changes were coming, which was the limit of their responsibilities, at least in their mindset. I'm sure they then thought it would be confusing (given that actually not everyone lives on Flyertalk) to give the precise details, and perhaps some of them weren't fully signed off by the relevant parties at the time of the first announcement. My speculation is that they felt they had done the right thing by the announcement they did give, and as we have seen upthread, anyone ringing BAEC to find out the changes, on a particular route, would be told the future position.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 2:42 am
  #169  
formerly mattking2000
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: soon to be DXB!
Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Posts: 1,011
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Thanks, just found that myself too, same route. I just need a band 2 and 3 F route now!
Band 3 is 44000 (hkg - pek on KA)
Band 2 us 33000 (doh - amm or doh - bgw on qr)

Hope thos helps !
KARFA likes this.
BA Humbug is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 3:12 am
  #170  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Programs: BA Bronze, BD Blue :(, Le Club Accorhotels Silver, AF/NH Pleb
Posts: 1,483
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I don't think so. Other airlines just announce the changes with (deliberately) no notice, whereas BAEC's own rules based framework suggests that they have to give some sort of notice of changes. So they told everyone the changes were coming, which was the limit of their responsibilities, at least in their mindset. I'm sure they then thought it would be confusing (given that actually not everyone lives on Flyertalk) to give the precise details, and perhaps some of them weren't fully signed off by the relevant parties at the time of the first announcement. My speculation is that they felt they had done the right thing by the announcement they did give, and as we have seen upthread, anyone ringing BAEC to find out the changes, on a particular route, would be told the future position.
Don't agree with this. Sending an email saying 'prices are going up, here are the new ones' isn't that confusing - it happens all the time with Sky, mobile phone companies, electricity, gas etc.. Anyone simply using the booking engine would've been quoted a price and would've paid what they were quoted until the change went through. By keeping the new prices a secret, BA made the planned increase seem far worse than it actually is.
sxc likes this.
sigma421 is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 3:22 am
  #171  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
In my case, Band 3 Premium Economy appear to be 25,750 avios. not 27,250.

Great work, KARFA, by the way. Helps us a lot to have the new chart.

I knew the speculation but I was secretly hoping that the change was really ONLY 4 percent.
The announcement page in French, Spanish clearly stated that the increase would be ONLY 4 percent in each language. So I was confused with the expression as little as 4 percent.
KARFA likes this.
super_agori is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 3:24 am
  #172  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,909
Originally Posted by sigma421 View Post
By keeping the new prices a secret, BA made the planned increase seem far worse than it actually is.
Maybe that was the exact strategy!

Make the mileage enthusiasts panic in advance, get a lot of liability off the books in that period (ie make sure that lots of "OMG I must do this before armageddon strikes!" redemptions booked), and then make minimal changes.
Globaliser is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 6:13 am
  #173  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: BWI
Programs: Only loyal to WN or Best Price/ Route
Posts: 985
Great chart - just confirmed the cost of my one-way business AA award from BWI-DFW went from 20K to 22K this morning
PGHflyer is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 6:16 am
  #174  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 30,554
Thanks, amended charts now in post 161.

Originally Posted by BA Humbug View Post
Band 3 is 44000 (hkg - pek on KA)
Band 2 us 33000 (doh - amm or doh - bgw on qr)

Hope thos helps !
Fantastic, thanks BA Humbug ^

Originally Posted by super_agori View Post
In my case, Band 3 Premium Economy appear to be 25,750 avios. not 27,250.

Great work, KARFA, by the way. Helps us a lot to have the new chart.
Thanks super_agori and welcome to FT!

For PE do you mean band 4 rather than band 3? On band 3 PE was 15,000, and just double checked my "go to" band 3 route of HKG-ICN and it is showing 16,500 now.

On band 4 PE was 25,000. Just double checked my "go to" band 3 route of HKG-DEL and it is showing 25,750 so you are quite right, I must have made a typo when I was doing this last night so all corrected now. Thanks.
KARFA is online now  
Old May 30, 19, 6:21 am
  #175  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 3,303
Great work KARFA.

In an odd way, little realignments of pricing like this are actually quite a good thing as they mean large devaluations of the programme overnight are much less likely. I'm happy to pay 5% more for CX and JL redemptions if it means they aren't going to increase in price by 50% in the near future.
lost_in_translation is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 6:42 am
  #176  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,681
@ KARFA - great job on the new chart, thank you ^

@ lost_in_translation - fair comment, and in principle am inclined to agree (though not sure I would call any increases “a good thing” ! .....)
subject2load is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 7:12 am
  #177  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
Great work KARFA.

In an odd way, little realignments of pricing like this are actually quite a good thing as they mean large devaluations of the programme overnight are much less likely. I'm happy to pay 5% more for CX and JL redemptions if it means they aren't going to increase in price by 50% in the near future.
I'm worryed that prices for BA routes now go up. 8000 for Band 1 BA J off peak vs 12500 for a partner, is a big difference
ianwall is online now  
Old May 30, 19, 7:22 am
  #178  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 22,010
Am I right in saying that apart from Zone 1, the changes are pretty minimal?
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 7:32 am
  #179  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,728
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Am I right in saying that apart from Zone 1, the changes are pretty minimal?
That's what I see so not as bad as everyone thought.

Great work on that table @KARFA, a lot of work no doubt (and others who added the last few some missing sections) will be referred to countless times for the future by many, many members of FT and no doubt this update will incorporated into the Main Dashboard ^
PETER01 is offline  
Old May 30, 19, 7:40 am
  #180  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago Burbs
Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by AzLarry View Post
Flights under 650 miles (ORD-DCA) are still pricing at 7500, and I do see under 1150 flights (ORD-PBI) as 9000.

Really want to confirm the post change price for 0-650 mile flights, although I expect them to go up to 9000.
AA domestic US routes in economy under 650 miles are still 7500 miles (15000 miles for AA domestic US First/Business, whatever it is called). Not sure why there is no change yet.
AzLarry is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: