Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by openfly
BA says there will be no increase to “our” Avios fares. They lie! They have already increased their Avios long haul economy fares by 20% in the last two weeks. Typical BA.
What on earth are you talking about?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: Velocity Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Etihad Gold
SYD-MEL

Current cost for this routing SYD-MEL is 4500Avios + € 11.74.

BA Website says after the change - Sydney (SYD) to Melbourne (MEL) on Qantas Ł20.20 plus Avios

So maybe taxes are going up too ?

Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wiivile

[...]

anyway what i dont understand is how their computers were loaded with the May 30 pricing? why would anyone be able to book at those rates before May 30?

[...]
They need to load the new rates for those redeeming awards after May 30th. If they weren't loaded, how would you be able to make December redemptions now?

For those using miles to book awards on AS, the longest flight in their network at 2846 miles is ANC-ORD which will be in Band 4. LAX-SJO is a close second at 2721. Both of these are further than any flight to Hawaii; even from ANC.

I am burning my AS miles (over a million in the last 18 months) as I anticipte a partner devaluation soon. MEL-HKG/2 month stopover/HKG-LAX in CX J and TPAC F for 70K AS is a steal. I will be flying GMP-HND(J)-JFK(F)(JL) & EWR(F)-LAX(F)-GDL(F)(AS) next month for 75K also a steal. I anticipate that JL, QF & CX will move closer to EK levels. I don't fly AA on awards unless I need a last minute NA award and AA redemptions are cheaper than AS even on the same AS metal flight.

James in Capetown
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
They need to load the new rates for those redeeming awards after May 30th. If they weren't loaded, how would you be able to make December redemptions now?
BA said in their email that you can book at the current rate until 30 May so they wouldn't be charging the new rate yet for any booking no matter when you are travelling.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by openfly
BA says there will be no increase to “our” Avios fares. They lie! They have already increased their Avios long haul economy fares by 20% in the last two weeks. Typical BA.
No they have not.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
What on earth are you talking about?
The only thing I can think about is the recent increase in exUS carrier surcharge, and specifically surcharge in F which is $200 higher per sector than J - previously J and F carrier surcharge were the same.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nzthunderboy

BA Website says after the change - Sydney (SYD) to Melbourne (MEL) on Qantas Ł20.20 plus Avios

From memory it’s Ł20.20 today in Business, maybe that’s what they meant.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:09 am
Suspended

Woww that is cheap. The recent redemptions I did with Qantas using a combination of Qantas and Emirates miles are 8,000 miles +AUD$41.28-42.05 per short sector (I don't know why there are differences there). That is almost Ł22.90 for taxes and fees (assume Ł1=AUD$1.83). That makes BA looking really generous even with Ł20.20 fees.

One of the redemption reads: AUD18.00 QR/AUD3.75 UO/AUD5.53 WG/AUD14.00 YQ if you are interested,
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:23 am

SYD-MEL one way non-stop in Y has taxes/fees/charges on ba.com of 4,500 avios + Ł10.10

Psc (Domestic Head Tax) - Australia GBP 4.70
Baggage Screening Tax (Safety & Security Charge) - Australia GBP 3.00
Psc (Domestic Head Tax) - Australia GBP 2.40
-----------------------------------------------------
Total Ł10.10
For J the taxes/fees/charges are the same so Ł10.10 but avios is 9000.

Where do you see Ł20.20?

EDIT: found it, on the page with the announcement

All Avios pricing is subject to taxes, fees and carrier charges. Example taxes, fees and carrier charges on partner airlines at Wednesday 17 April 2019 for a return journey with outbound travel on 5 May 2019 and inbound on 12 May 2019 are:
Sydney (SYD) to Melbourne (MEL) on Qantas Ł20.20 plus Avios
It does say for a return though, so Ł10.10 one way and Ł20.20 return. Therefore no change from present.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 30, 2019 at 9:36 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Do AS flights to Hawaii and Mexico price domestic F seats on the C or F chart? If the former at 2x points then they are still a decent option. not so much for the 4x pricing.

Really my major concern is not with the short haul flights (which are still cheaper than many of the alternatives) but the sweet spots like NA to SA. Will these have bogus "fuel surcharges" now?
As far as we know so far the multipliers for J/F have not changed. As to whether AS's front cabin is currently priced at the F or J rate I am not sure. The question came up in the dedicated booking AS with avios thread but unfortunately I haven't seen an answer Booking Alaska Airlines with Avios

AS or other partner reward flights outside the UK did not incur any BA imposed fuel/carrier charge and there hasn't been any suggested they would as a result of this change.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Do AS flights to Hawaii and Mexico price domestic F seats on the C or F chart? If the former at 2x points then they are still a decent option. not so much for the 4x pricing.
I don't know the answer to your question, but any AS flight to Hawaii is going to be a Band 4 redemption. Band 4 redemptions in C currently price at 3X a Y redemption, not 2X.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
I don't know the answer to your question, but any AS flight to Hawaii is going to be a Band 4 redemption. Band 4 redemptions in C currently price at 3X a Y redemption, not 2X.
I wouldn't worry about any increase in AS 1st to Hawaii. You'd need 'saver' first availability, and that's almost impossible to find.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I truly hope that the leaked chart is true. It is not that bad.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I truly hope that the leaked chart is true. It is not that bad.
I fully understand your point and to an extent agree with it but it is indicative of the inevitability that FFP's will continue down a gradual but relentless road of devaluation. I think we are all resigned to that.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I fully understand your point and to an extent agree with it but it is indicative of the inevitability that FFP's will continue down a gradual but relentless road of devaluation. I think we are all resigned to that.
While the sales of miles & points will grow. Cash cows, get the money in hand, who know when will be able to redeem at what "price" ? Liabilities growing out of hand, devaluation times !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.