Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Two things still puzzle me:

1) Are partner awards outside OW now with AAnytime availability and not MileSAAver?
2) AS domestic First class redemptions: business or first redemption pricing? AA is with business pricing, but there's no recent datapoints in the AS Avios thread either.

For #2 I will probably have to call and have a quote, but #1 is based on AAnytime being confusingly mentioned in this thread.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AzLarry
AA domestic US routes in economy under 650 miles are still 7500 miles (15000 miles for AA domestic US First/Business, whatever it is called). Not sure why there is no change yet.
Thanks. Yes just looked at another example (BOS-JFK) and it is still showing as 7500. I don't know whether they simply have not yet been updated to 9000, or that they stay at 7500. I suspect the former! I think the intention when US domestic rates were changed was that the band 1 distance flights should be priced at band 2 rates.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Still wondering why this was all kept under wraps...
Old May 30, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
2) AS domestic First class redemptions: business or first redemption pricing? AA is with business pricing, but there's no recent datapoints in the AS Avios thread either.
Spoke to someone who was not happy to be of assistance, but was more prone to inflict a feeling of guilt for calling the US number, rather than a local number. Well, I can confirm to myself: first class redemption rate. In fact the rate quoted was with the old table. Could've countered her attitude and told her to restart her system for the correct, new pricing.

Last edited by Flying Yazata; May 30, 2019 at 8:01 am
Old May 30, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Platinum
Data point: Just booked a redemption with BA on AS for SEA-LAX RT in Y over the phone, which under the old rules would have been 15k Avios; went up to 18k Avios. Not as bad as I thought, but yeah, not an improvement.

Do we know anything about how this affects pricing on stopover routes yet?

Last edited by OWBA; May 30, 2019 at 8:23 am
Old May 30, 2019, 10:22 am

So I've done a preliminary check and some of the rumours on possible tariff appear to bear out, although the logic evades me a little. All quoted for U inventory:

SIN/KUL (under 651 miles)
Previously: 9,000 Avios
Now: 12,500 Avios (Rumours suggested this would be 12,000 Avios)

DCA/LGA (under 651 miles - but exceptions for USA)
Previously: 15,000 Avios
Now: 15,000 Avios (Rumour suggested this would be 16,500 Avios. Perhaps a concession by BA for eliminating the under 651 miles category for USA sectors?)

SYD/MEL (under 651 miles)
Previously: 9,000 Avios
Now: 12,500 Avios (Rumours suggested this would be 12,000 Avios)

MEL/BNE (651 - 1,150 miles aka sweet spot)
Previously: 15,000 Avios
Now: 16,500 Avios (As predicted by rumours, which in the scheme of things is not as bad. Another rumour had suggested it would be 18,000 Avios)

Looking forward to when Prospero updates the official Flyertalk Wiki.
omk298 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Okay then ..... so whilst not exactly welcome, the increases are live, and thankfully not as bad as some might have feared when that original strangely-worded announcement appeared, giving no hard facts.

Now that the new rates are known, all that remains is to look forward to the publication by BA of the new Avios earnings charts, along with the updated calculator on the official website. Any clues as to when we can expect it ....
Old May 30, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
Okay then ..... so whilst not exactly welcome, the increases are live, and thankfully not as bad as some might have feared when that original strangely-worded announcement appeared, giving no hard facts.

Now that the new rates are known, all that remains is to look forward to the publication by BA of the new Avios earnings charts, along with the updated calculator on the official website. Any clues as to when we can expect it ....
Were changes to Avios earning rates in scope for this round? I thought it was only partner redemption.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
Were changes to Avios earning rates in scope for this round? I thought it was only partner redemption.
I was hoping that there might be an increase in BA earnings (as a reward to loyal customers) to offset the additional costs of partner redemptions. But perhaps I’m whistling in the wind .... ?
Old May 30, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by subject2load

I was hoping that there might be an increase in BA earnings (as a reward to loyal customers) to offset the additional costs of partner redemptions. But perhaps I’m whistling in the wind .... ?
I highly doubt it...!
Old May 30, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by musehead
I highly doubt it...!
Yep no such thing as a free lunch on BA nor partners... And with BA lucky if you get your first choice...😋
Old May 30, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I've got to say this is extraordinarily harsh for BAEC members who redeem on AA. Typical journey prices are now well over what AAdvantage members would be paying Avios/miles wise. Most especially if you live in non-AA hub city. For example, IAH-DFW-NYC now costs 36,000 Avios return as a minimum (can also price at 37,000, depending on connecting city), while it would be standard 25,000 for AA members. shorter journeys continue to be a very bad use of Avios (i.e. IAH-DFW-OKC) at 30,000 for a return in Y.

Guess the simple fact is that BAEC is really not setup for the "connections culture" that flying in the USA is, and frankly never has been since they removed the Band 1 pricing. But it's easy to see how the bean-counters at Waterside would've not grasped this fact, as most flying that goes on in Europe is direct. USA members have really taken a bashing it must be said between the fuel surcharge discrepancy, when comparing journeys that start in the UK, and a severe hike in award redemption rates on AA bookings when compared to the days when Band 1 flights priced accordingly. BAEC really doesn't look all that attractive to the person living in the USA now when comparing to other programmes.

Now let's see if the IB award chart updates to the BA ones now. The discrepancy is too wide for it not to be addressed:

BA Avios, IAH-DFW-OKC (as an example): 30,000
IB Avios IAH-DFW-OKC: 12,000

Do think the changes are reasonable if living in a hub city with access to direct flights, however. I'm glad I made quite a few bookings on the 28th .
Old May 30, 2019, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Someone living in one of many European cities wishing to use BA for a redemption would need to make a connection ; connection requirements are not unique to USA

Attractiveness of a scheme is going to be impacted by where one is and where wanting to redeem to

I cannot imagine that BA would be overly concerned about people realising that another scheme is better and using it
BA0197 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by BA0197
BA Avios, IAH-DFW-OKC (as an example): 30,000
IB Avios IAH-DFW-OKC: 12,000
Makes me wonder if you can redeem IB Avios on AS...
Old May 31, 2019, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Largely from just searching rewards on different airlines I have managed to get the following table together - still a few remaining gaps so if anyone can spot rates for them let me know.

Also the multipliers between cabins have altered now.

KARFA, do you have any insights on the anomaly, where USA sectors under 651 miles are still showing redemption at the old (USA exception) rate i.e.
DCA/LGA still costs 15,000 Avios in U rather than than 16,500 Avios as suggested in your table (correct as at 0630h BST 31 May 2019).

Is this an administrative error by BA or inconsistent by design?

If its an intended exception, does that mean there needs to be a seperate annex to these unofficial award tariff tables published on Flyertalk? As far as I know BA doesn't publish award tables? Happy to be corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.