Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flying BA’s Airbus A350: deliveries, routes, reviews and more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Scotflyer80
Best seats on A350 guide: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...on-thread.html
Future route speculation: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...my-flight.html
Background discussion on the Club Suites (historical): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...on-thread.html
Madrid training flights - meetup thread (historical): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ps-thread.html

British Airways has revealed the configuration for its Airbus A350-1000 (56J 56W 219Y):
  • 56 business class featuring all-new Club Suites
  • 56 premium economy
  • 219 economy
  • (BA maintains that no A350s will have first class)
Familiarisation flights to Madrid (starts August 6th):
First A350 flights have also been revealed:
  • 02 to 06 Sep, 09 to 30 Sep, and from 08 Oct 2019 daily to Dubai (DXB) - BA107/106
  • from 01 Oct 2019, daily to Toronto (YYZ) - BA92/93
  • from 01 Dec 2019, daily to Tel Aviv (TLV) - BA163/162
  • from 01 Jan 2020, daily to Bangalore (BLR) - BA119/118
  • from 01 Mar 2020, double daily to Dubai (DXB) - BA107/106 & BA105/104

More pics and details at https://www.ausbt.com.au/british-air...ess-class-seat

Flights planned to be operated by a A350

Summer 2021 (Updated: 9th February 2021)

Austin - Daily
Buenos Aires via São Paulo - Daily
Denver - Daily
Dubai - 3 x Weekly (Tuesday to Thursday)
Las Vegas - Daily
Newark - 2 x Weekly (Monday/Sunday)
Vancouver - Daily

Winter 2021 (Updated: 9th February 2021)

Bangalore - Daily
Boston - 9 x Weekly
BA213/212 - Daily
BA215/214 - 2 x Weekly (Mon/Sun)
Chicago - 2 x Daily
Mumbai - Daily (BA139/138)
San Diego - Daily
Tel Aviv - Daily (BA163/162)
Washington - 3 x Weekly (BA293/292 Tuesday to Thursday)
Vancouver - Daily

Print Wikipost

Flying BA’s Airbus A350: deliveries, routes, reviews and more

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Routesonline.com posted a further update this morning on the A350 flight schedules for September and October. The key points are for the first two weeks, the A350 will not operate on Saturday or Sunday, and the A350 will take a break from service between 01-07 October (inclusive)
British Airways last Friday accelerated planned Airbus A350-1000XWB service on London Heathrow – Dubai route, previously scheduled from 08OCT19. The A350 is now scheduled to operate this route as BA107/106 from 02SEP19, initially 5 times a week. Planned A350-operating frequencies in September and October 2019 as follows.

02SEP19 – 13SEP19 Day x67
14SEP19 – 30SEP19 Daily
08OCT19 – 26OCT19 Daily
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...e-to-sep-2019/
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by KARFA

Good point. I think unlikely, here was a period when there were IB a350s operating but I think that’s finished and they are back to a330/340 atm. Also they do a a normal turnaround and would usually need towing anywhere unless they has a serious tech problem and had to be taken off to the engineering base or stored on a remote stand.

EDIT: just had a quick check, looks like it was an a340 yesterday.

IB do still operate the A359 into LHR but it is rather random
KARFA and george77300 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Any ideas on best J seats / seats to avoid yet? I'm booked in J on the DXB flights in late October. Seat map is wide open at the moment.

Looking for 2 window seats, I think - any advice?
Probably a bit too early to say.

The press/media/bloggers will get a look on the 26th and then there'll be more detailed reports/videos after the Madrid flights start a few days later.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
I find it a bit strange that the first 777s won't get a new first class? i mean? it would surely be better to just do away with it ( i understand JFK is a first heavy route) but i mean if business is better then what are you really selling...
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by opus99
I find it a bit strange that the first 777s won't get a new first class? i mean? it would surely be better to just do away with it ( i understand JFK is a first heavy route) but i mean if business is better then what are you really selling...
I don't think that a new first class is as simple as popping down to IKEA, buying eight copies of something on the showroom floor, and chucking it into the aircraft. It's a process that takes years, and BA has evidently been concentrating on making the decision on the seat for the cabin that is the profit engine for the company.
djsflynn and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
You will find that there is still considerably more space per First seat than there is in Club World Suites - the overlap is minimal/none in First.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't think that a new first class is as simple as popping down to IKEA, buying eight copies of something on the showroom floor, and chucking it into the aircraft. It's a process that takes years, and BA has evidently been concentrating on making the decision on the seat for the cabin that is the profit engine for the company.
I understand that and it reiterates my point. I know that it takes years. So why not install it on aircrafts when it’s ready. Instead of reducing the old one or they could’ve applied the same first class as the 787 as it is, that would’ve been better than keeping the old one OR Just make these 777s a club suite aircraft without first, given its their profit making cabin.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Prospero
Routesonline.com posted a further update this morning on the A350 flight schedules for September and October. The key points are for the first two weeks, the A350 will not operate on Saturday or Sunday, and the A350 will take a break from service between 01-07 October (inclusive)
British Airways last Friday accelerated planned Airbus A350-1000XWB service on London Heathrow – Dubai route, previously scheduled from 08OCT19. The A350 is now scheduled to operate this route as BA107/106 from 02SEP19, initially 5 times a week. Planned A350-operating frequencies in September and October 2019 as follows.

02SEP19 – 13SEP19 Day x67
14SEP19 – 30SEP19 Daily
08OCT19 – 26OCT19 Daily
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...e-to-sep-2019/
I'm confused. Where does it state it won't fly during the weekends for the first 2 weeks?
Opportunity to market the next first class next decade!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Pack
I'm confused. Where does it state it won't fly during the weekends for the first 2 weeks
The x67 at the end of the first set of dates indicates daily Except days 6 & 7 (Saturday & Sunday).

Pilot37
Pack likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So why not install it on aircrafts when it’s ready. Instead of reducing the old one or they could’ve applied the same first class as the 787 as it is, that would’ve been better than keeping the old one OR Just make these 777s a club suite aircraft without first, given its their profit making cabin.
On the last point, you've given the answer yourself: JFK is a First-heavy route. The fact that the profit engine is in Club doesn't mean that it's a good idea for BA just to stick two fingers up at those who would prefer to fly First.

And just like you can't pick up a seat in IKEA and install it on the aircraft, I doubt that you can just pick up a First seat from a 787 and install it on a 777. It just doesn't work like that. I expect there's a decent chance that what's being done is what it is possible to do now with a reasonable resource allocation to secure a modest improvement. Hopefully, there will be more to come - although most of us who enjoy First using mileage will probably see those opportunities dwindle substantially in future years.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:04 am

On the last point, you've given the answer yourself: JFK is a First-heavy route. The fact that the profit engine is in Club doesn't mean that it's a good idea for BA just to stick two fingers up at those who would prefer to fly First.

And just like you can't pick up a seat in IKEA and install it on the aircraft, I doubt that you can just pick up a First seat from a 787 and install it on a 777. It just doesn't work like that. I expect there's a decent chance that what's being done is what it is possible to do now with a reasonable resource allocation to secure a modest improvement. Hopefully, there will be more to come - although most of us who enjoy First using mileage will probably see those opportunities dwindle substantially in future years.
what I don’t understand is, it’s a seat that has been designed right AND built before. If they were making a brand new seat or making some additions to the seat I would understand. If you’re taking a seat that already exists on one of your aircrafts (like they’ve already done for the other first class seats) I mean it’s confirming it works on and for the aircraft and ordering it. Obviously it’s not as simple as ordering furniture from ikea lol. Which again I say they could really have applied the 787 seat to the 777 for this batch instead of keeping the old one. If it’s based on resources then that I understand, and I would very much welcome modifications. What I’ve been hearing is that no modifications are being made and it’s literally just taking 3 rows of the old first seat and leaving the old ones there.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which again I say they could really have applied the 787 seat to the 777 for this batch ...
I don't think that you can just pick up a seat from one aircraft type and plonk it down in another.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:54 am

I don't think that you can just pick up a seat from one aircraft type and plonk it down in another.
Correct, while the seats will be similar, they would be modified and then certified for each aircraft type.
wrp96 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:00 pm

How will the IFE work on the updated 777s? Will they be updating the whole aircraft? Or can you run separate IFE systems per cabin?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jday
How will the IFE work on the updated 777s? Will they be updating the whole aircraft? Or can you run separate IFE systems per cabin?
All cabins would be updated at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.