Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
When my wife asks how long a particular flight is, I respond in bottles.

Her :- "How long is the flight to Amsterdam?"
Me :- "2 bottles"

Her :- "How long is the flight to Helsinki?"
Me :- "4 bottles, or 5 if there's a headwind"

I think I may have a problem.
Given that your flight distance to Helsinki is approximately double your distance to Amsterdam, I conclude you are originating, fittingly enough, from Porto

—and that your bottle-mileage is approximately one bottle per 500 miles.

What problem?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:00 am

How much do they have?

On my last ANA flight, I drank the remainder of the 750mL bottle of Suntory Whiskey. I am not sure sure how much was in the bottle when I started but it was a rough landing in NRT.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
My personal record was set on a F Thai Airways BKK LHR.

I had spent four weeks in Nepal on a mountaineering trip eating little but cold lentil curry and energy bars. The tent was -20C at 3am on summit day. A week later I turned up at Door One in a climbing fleece at Suvarnabhumi with two huge kit bags (containing my climbing gear) covered in yak dung and the like. While this is normal at LUA the TG door staff grimaced and tried to send me to the Y desks until I produced my ticket.
I think I had two bottles in the lounge after visiting the massage suite and several more on the flight to Hounslow. Also a bottle of Chateau Dauzac with the beef. Maybe Sauternes too. I'm a little hazy with the detail. It certainly beats a Twin Otter stuffed full of smelly climbers.

I'm never trouble when well refreshed but Mrs W says I have an inane grin. I did get a nasty disapproving look from the FA Frau on LH F when I asked for more booze than was strictly necessary on my last trip with them FRA BKK. Off to PHX soon with my first ever F on BA. Should I hold back on the LPGS? Should I sip water in the T3 lounge?
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
And for chicken with pasta is … ?

Silly Billy! Campagne of couse! It goes with anything, and then you can on here and moan about it being cheapjack fizz and unfit for my refined and delicate palate

Since when did we have a thread about Chablis or Burgundy?

Dear OP - why do you want to know?
bakera, RoyalSwazi and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by fumje
Given that your flight distance to Helsinki is approximately double your distance to Amsterdam, I conclude you are originating, fittingly enough, from Porto

—and that your bottle-mileage is approximately one bottle per 500 miles.

What problem?
Yes, I'm clearly not drinking enough on the HEL legs! I must improve my consumption rate.

Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Since when did we have a thread about Chablis or Burgundy?
I always order the champagne, assuming it's actually champagne and from a legit champagne house, but chablis is normally a good choice too.

This threads reminds me of the legendary threads on how folks drank 8 bottles of Dom Pérignon or Krug in-flight.

8 bottles of Krug to BKK in CX F – A New Year's Eve story

8 bottles of Dom from LAX-BKK on SQ in F
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
A fine wine goes with anything..................believe me
jlemon likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I always order the champagne, assuming it's actually champagne and from a legit champagne house, but chablis is normally a good choice too.

This threads reminds me of the legendary threads on how folks drank 8 bottles of Dom Pérignon or Krug in-flight.
Trip reports do nothing for me, and frankly I am not sure that I believe that anyone could drink 6 litres of Champagne and not die of alcoholic poisoning.Still, it is on FT, it must be true.
HIDDY, T8191, jlemon and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I usually stick with red wine, especially from Bordeaux, and will have several glasses.

However, one time I got into the Johnny Walker Blue en route from LHR to IAD and I'm still not quite sure how I managed to get through customs......
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
One off G&T providing it is after 5.00pm somewhere in the empire.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
boredom. (in reply to "For people here who drink measurably more when flying than when not flying, may I ask why?")

Last edited by mradey; Jan 10, 2019 at 12:50 pm Reason: quote missing from quick reply
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Let’s just say I make the most of it !!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Zero 😇
our_kid likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:20 pm

A few times I've drank zero alcohol. And one time I had (at least) 4 glasses of bubbles, 3 G&Ts, a Negorini, a glass of Carlsberg in the CX/Qantas T3 lounges before moving to the BA lounge for a taster (small) of all 10 wines and a short measure of rum before boarding a CE SH flight where I had 2 (or possibly 3) small bottles of fizz, a bloody mary and a G&T. Someone up thread classed 4 drinks as binge drinking so I guess I exceeded the approved limits in this particular case. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I usually have a G&T and a glass of fizz on board because responsibilities deem I can't have more. But once in a blue moon I think it's good for the soul (if not the body) to have a blowout. Airlines wouldn't be so generous with booze in their premium cabins/frequent flyer programmes if it wasn't so lucrative for them....

Each to their own though.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Pobably less that usual

In the Lounge it’s neither a relaxing nor familiar atmosphere compared with home. A glass or two of wine during a long stop-over would be my max, I think.

On board, it depends on the length of the flight and whether I’m driving at the other other end. Usually on l/h the PDB, a V&T, one disappointing wine with the meal, a Port with the cheese plate and then try to sleep. I don’t find it an appealing environment for drinking free booze, TBH.

At home, or at destination, or at an FT Do on the other hand ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.