Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Probably too much. A PDB of champagne, Start meal with a G+T then a glass of wine with the starter (appetizer) at least two glasses with the main course (entrée) and then a port if having cheese or desert wine on the rare occasions I have desert. Then often a G+T mid flight.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
If on leisure, normally a Woodforde Reserve and diet coke in the lounge.
Good Lord - I respect peoples choices and I know we live in a free world but what a waste of good Woodford
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by orbitmic
There have been known significant exceptions. When JL used to serve Salon in F, I would easily drink 4 or 5 glasses of those in a long flight. When QR was kind enough to serve Comtes de Champagne on ultra long J, I ensured that it also played a full part in fighting the thirst. However, I'd say that's pretty much a 1% deviation from the 0-1 glass habit though, and for instance, I never ask for a second glass of LGPS despite finding it perfectly decent if not fabulous.
I think my peak consumption was back when JAL had the Salon in F, I had a cabin to myself and polished off two bottles and a few glasses of the Yamazaki.

In generally, I tend to drink onboard when flying for leisure, and there's something exciting on offer. Especially if I want to try just a glass or two, and can't justify the expensive of a bottle (or markup at a bar) during everyday life. Things that come to mind are the Hibiki 21, Chivas Regal Grand Salute, JW Blue (wasn't that good), Billecart-Salmon (excellent, ended up buying several bottles), Krug (wasn't that good), Dom, JL's Queen of Blue tea, etc.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:44 am

On our last BA flight from LHR to Dublin, I drank 3 little bottles of Whiskey and 1 champagne.
smokie36 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
On a morning or lunchtime trip nothing but afternoon departure or later from T5 will be trying the reds, then have a VAT before two reds with dinner on board and finish with the Otard brandy.

My only trip in first, the cabin crew were telepathic and I sampled everything
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
It varies completely depending on my mood ranging in the last couple of weeks from nothing NRT-LHR to having a couple of glasses of LPGS plus cocktails followed by a bottle of LPGS as a PDB (we were delayed due to maintenance and rather than wasting the bottle as I was the only one drinking) followed by another bottle during the flight LHR-PEK.

I only drink on leisure flights as with work flights I have to abide by the code of conduct which requires zero blood alcohol. These are flights I normally would need the drink to help me sleep as they are all economy.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike_Smith
On our last BA flight from LHR to Dublin, I drank 3 little bottles of Whiskey and 1 champagne.
Oh crikey, I initially read that as 3 litre bottles of whiskey....!!!
smokie36, AnaTravel and Bcla like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You should only drink red wine with the main course if it is beef or pasta. If it's fish or chicken, try white.
Agreed - the wife normally has the fish and white wine - I normally choose my main based on what wine is available rather than the other way around.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: BA gold
My journeys each way can take the best part of a week involving planes, busses and 4x4s. Needless to say no booze, just water.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
A glass or two of champagne in the lounge first if there’s time. If F usually try to spend a couple of hours in the CCR. Might try a couple of ounces of a few diff wines if they interest me
on board in F usually close to half a bottle of LPGS with a sip of most wines to try on board
If in CW similar amount of champagne but usually not much wines as they just aren’t really worth it
i don’t drink a lot and don’t like the feeling especially at altitude
All this assumes west bound. If east bound from NA it’s a night flight and usually a couple glass of bubbly and an imovane to sleep. No food nothing else
Not criticising your consumption but on a point of English, that is quite a lot.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
You should only drink red wine with the main course if it is beef or pasta. If it's fish or chicken, try white.
First of all, these "rules" are not universal. Many chicken dishes will go better with a red wine than a white wine (coq au vin?). Second of all, a good deal goes down to personal preference. Some will prefer reds over whites at any time (or the opposite) ... dare I say, even with fish dishes.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
And for chicken with pasta is … ?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Rosé
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
10,000 bottles of beer on a plane, 10,000 bottles of beer; along comes mr jcm9000....no more bottles of beer on the plane.
jkenn, toothy, GadgetGal and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Originally Posted by mikebg
First of all, these "rules" are not universal. Many chicken dishes will go better with a red wine than a white wine (coq au vin?). Second of all, a good deal goes down to personal preference. Some will prefer reds over whites at any time (or the opposite) ... dare I say, even with fish dishes.
I think both Jancis Robinson and the vintners at Berry Bros. would say it depends on the sauce for the chicken or pasta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.