Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:36 am

If travelling in J/F, 2-3 glasses of champagne in the lounge. If travelling Y, maybe 2 pints of lager in the departures lounge.
Onboard in J/F, welcome champagne, followed by another glass of champagne after take off, a glass of white wine with starter, glass of red with main, then maybe another glass of wine to relax and watch a film with. Not usually much more than that. I do always travel for leisure though. If Y, I probably won't drink anything onboard as I'm likely just travelling in Europe and driving at the other end.

I did once regrettably get far too merry on a VS flight overnight, lost my camera onboard somewhere and had to endure a train journey straight after the flight from London to the North with a stinking hangover, I learnt a very big lesson and for the past 10 or so years have not behaved so appallingly with the flowing booze.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Too much! LOL
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by _fx
Guess I’m a heavy drinker...I’ll usually do 4 drinks on a 2 hour short haul
That's one drink short of binge drinking.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

I never drive after a long haul flight, even avoiding alcohol altogether and a enjoying a decent sleep I still find I am not rested enough or as alert as I would wish to be for driving.
The seats on British Airways are so bad that you have to be drunk to sleep.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fruitcage
I do think there is some snobbery concerning drinking before and during flights. Someone having a good few drinks in J or F is just enjoying the hospitality, but consume the same amount in Y and you’re perceived as some kind of lager lout or security risk.
It may have something to do with the fact that the wine served in economy is horrid. Excessively drinking cheap wine or cheap alcohol in general is uncouth. Getting drunk off good wine is socially acceptable. After all, it would be irresponsible not to finish the bottle opened for you.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bakera
White wine with the starters, red with the mains, port with the cheese (in F)
You should only drink red wine with the main course if it is beef or pasta. If it's fish or chicken, try white.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Most of my travel (95%+) is for work and is mostly longhaul, so I will drink very little at all. I do not believe that my employer would be pleased if I was abusing their spend on J/F travel to get me to my destination in a relaxed, fresh and ready-to-work position by drinking heavily before or during a flight. I recognise others may be different, but if my employer is expecting me to be work-ready on landing, I personally cannot achieve that after more than one or two drinks (maximum). Considering my occupation, alcohol does have a direct impact on my ability to perform. Therefore, I may have a G&T before lunch on a day flight, but on a night flight I typically wont have anything at all - since I want to sleep. My drug of choice on night flights is a 50mg Nytol which gets me to sleep pretty quickly after take-off, particularly on short overnight sectors (e.g. from JFK/PHL to Europe).
So drugging yourself up is perfectly fine, but not a drink? I'm not sure about this one.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
So drugging yourself up is perfectly fine, but not a drink? I'm not sure about this one.
Yes, since it allows me to function unimpaired on arrival. I should get a loyalty card for Perrigo - I'm sure I would be a Super Ultra Platimum Diamond Elite member.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It depends. Nothing on a 4 hour or less day time flight where I have to work or drive upon arrival. A 12-hour overnight or a TATL on the way home and not driving then all bets are off. Typical would be a large whisky before dinner, 2-3 glasses of wine with the meal, a post-dinner port and perhaps another large whisky later in the flight.

I don't drink in the lounge or airport bar before departure. I'd prefer to be in complete possession of my faculties going through the boarding process.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I while ago I sat next to a lady on LHR-NCL (so 40 minutes in the air) who polished off 3x 50ml complimentary bottles of Johnnie Walker.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I while ago I sat next to a lady on LHR-NCL (so 40 minutes in the air) who polished off 3x 50ml complimentary bottles of Johnnie Walker.
That was no lady
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo
If I am on leisure and not with the kids OR on a work trip but on an evening flight and going straight home/ to hotel then:

In Lounge: 1-2 beers/ ale and 1 double single malt
Onboard: 1-2 beers and 1-2 double single malts (depending how generous the crew are feeling - I'm unlikely to ask for multiple runs to the drinks trolley as I get embarrassed!)

I'm limited to beer and spirits (single malt being tipple of choice) as I keep strictly kosher and so cannot have the wine/ champagne onboard
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

That was no lady

Wow, sexist much?
choosethedrew and Ms.O like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The seats on British Airways are so bad that you have to be drunk to sleep.
I don’t know about your seat, but my seat is perfectly comfortable
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It depends, but usually I aim for a fair amount to quite a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.