Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
I don’t drink much more than an odd G and T these days.

I find all the because it’s free remarks really odd. Travelling for work, or paying for flights yourself and worrying about the cost of a few drinks.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Executive club Gold
I don’t consider it free, surely it’s part of what you’ve paid for, unless entering the lounge on status? I appreciate they advertise it as complimentary but figure that’s just a way to avoid claims if the catering goes wrong for any reason.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I don't mind how much people drink as long as they behave themselves. If one has forked out thousands of pounds for a CW or F flight, enjoy as you wish, just don't get lairy and make life uncomfortable for other pax.
Silver Fox and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by rossmacd
You don't know my occupation, and you are unlikely to guess it But trust me, alcohol impacts my ability to perform, quite considerably.
Alcohol does that in every job

i drink ZERO booze
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Honie
I don’t consider it free, surely it’s part of what you’ve paid for, unless entering the lounge on status? I appreciate they advertise it as complimentary but figure that’s just a way to avoid claims if the catering goes wrong for any reason.
I would say getting status is a result of having given the airline alliance a lot of money already (in most cases). It's included as part of the service they offer. You know if you spend your money there then these perks exist.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Yachtman
It might be a generational thing, I’m a millennial, but I rarely drink when flying, if ever.
I too am a millennial, and am teetotal so unfortunately on BA it is nearly always "orange juice please" I am looking forward to my trip on QR in J this summer when I will be able to try a lot more varied things.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Standard 3 (sometimes 4) small bottles of champagne on my NCL-LHR runs after some wine in the lounge.

Long haul in J / F - few champagnes in the lounge then get stuck into more onboard, red wine with meal, couple of G n Ts, plenty of coffee / water too.

When travelling for business - usually nothing.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I always try to drink and eat in the lounge, as I prefer to avoid plane food (generally poor and too salty) and assuming alcohol on board as the effects are slightly less predictable (I mean headaches, not that I might cause a scene) and it takes longer to washout.

If I have enough time, I can easily drink 3-4 proper glasses of Champ or the whole bottle if time allows and it's an evening flight.

Once on board:

Short haul I almost never drink alcohol on board, except the rare cases in which I am in CE, where I would gladly drink 2 or 3 glasses of Champ.

Long haul, I tend to avoid drinking and eating

And overall I never drink sprits or cocktails, sticking 95% of the time with Champagne which is basically the "Coca-Cola" of wine, meaning you know the quality is pretty much stable globally, whereases with reds and whites it is very tricky as airlines tend to by very cheap ones even for premium cabins.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Gets harder as you get older
More if an overnight flight

Standard Formula
Lounge 2 G nTs or2 champers if CCR
Pre take iff champers
First drink chanpers
Try and pair a red and white wine with dinner
Port or sweet wine
Baileys

If a day flight sometimes get a mid flight hangover
if connecting in US to second flight
2nd wind with a cocktail in Admirals lounge
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
As others said, depends really on the time; and if I am flying for work or fun.

Work:
In the morning - nothing.
on Friday PM: Maybe 1 or 2 whiskey's in the lounge, and one on board (short haul).

For long-haul it depends if I need to go directly to the office, or not. If it's the latter I would say one or two bubbles in the lounge, 1 in the plane, and some wine.

For leisure:
With my lady, I can have bubbles in the lounge even in the AM (we had last time 3 glasses each at 3pm for a flight to DXB). Then I would have 1 or 2 in the plane, a glass of wine with dinner and a whiskey afterwards.

So as OP said, lots of variables (recently I had plenty of Champagne in the AA Flagship Lounge before flying in Y back to London - just to make the flight better
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Sarcastic reply - More than you
The real reply - As much or as little as I want
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: Executive club Gold
Originally Posted by TTmex
I would say getting status is a result of having given the airline alliance a lot of money already (in most cases). It's included as part of the service they offer. You know if you spend your money there then these perks exist.

i think i maybe worded worded myself wrong, I consider it part of the ticket price you pay for, so if booking economy then entering the lounge on status where you wouldn’t normally have the additional complimentary drinks. I do agree totally regarding it being part of the service when you’ve spent enough in previous flights.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
And I thought I was being efficient going through a full sized bottle from CDG to CPH on AF. I supposed they still served in the holding patterns over LHR?
very little holding, i think 1 lap or less. i did have to use teh plastic cup to finish after the 10 minute call. the key is to ask for two right at the start otherwise when you finish the first you will end up waiting for the crew whilst they complete the service to the rest of the cabin.
polochick likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:08 am

Short-haul ... a class of champagne or prosecco in the lounge and nothing on board, as I'm pretty much always in Y. In LHR I'm more focussed on the food selection than the drinks. If flying CE I'll have a champagne or glass of wine with the meal and maybe, rarely, a g&t as well. I'm not a fast drinker.

Long-haul ... I tend to only fly long-haul J once a year to Asia as a family visit/holiday. I treat the flight as part of the holiday and have a few drinks in the lounge and on the flight. Never enough so that I'm drunk though. Once in Asia I hardly drink alcohol so those flights are about it.

A combination of me getting older and the improving quality of them means that in summer when I fancy an afternoon beer down by the river it tends to be non-alcoholic.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
very little holding, i think 1 lap or less. i did have to use teh plastic cup to finish after the 10 minute call. the key is to ask for two right at the start otherwise when you finish the first you will end up waiting for the crew whilst they complete the service to the rest of the cabin.
Careful planning and timing needed....
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.