Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetGal

Wow, sexist much?
Yep !

The full quote - which appeared in various guises / scenarios over the years - was most recently heard in a song by Slade ....
That was no lady, that was my wife”

https://genius.com/Slade-that-was-no...my-wife-lyrics
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by GadgetGal

Wow, sexist much?
Indeed! On the day flight to Chennai last year a rather sozzled lady told me off for taking the seat she normally has and then proceeded to drink her weight in champagne before moving to G and Ts - she hadn’t seen her husband in six weeks and god knows what her head must have been like on arrival...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
An interesting subject as I work in the wine trade.

If work related travel then nothing at all unless I will be arriving at the destination the day before any meetings and don't need to drive. If I am flying home on a Friday and going straight home then I'll certainly have some Champagne and wine if there is something nice on offer.

For leisure travel I will take full advantage but only if the Champagne and/or wine are decent. I'm not a big fan of daytime drinking though and certainly never before lunch. Quality rather than quantity is my general approach.
twincheeks likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

When my wife asks how long a particular flight is, I respond in bottles.

Her :- "How long is the flight to Amsterdam?"
Me :- "2 bottles"

Her :- "How long is the flight to Helsinki?"
Me :- "4 bottles, or 5 if there's a headwind"

I think I may have a problem.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
It depends on where I'm going and what time I'm starting off. All my travel is for fun so I don't have to worry about work at the end of it, except if flying in and going straight to the office (in which case I'll just drink tea and / or orange juice on that flight).

If I have a ridiculously early start (any flight before 10am) I'll stick to soft drinks in the lounge and on board, unless flying long haul in which case I'll have a few once we're up in the air. I don't particularly like wine or champagne and rarely drink spirits but love beer, the hoppier the better. So on short haul Y I'll purchase a couple of cans of the nice IPA BA sell, or on other airlines whatever they have. On long haul, it'll be beer and because it's free I'll probably have a fair old amount, but the cans are rarely more than 330ml and I know when to stop. On flights later in the day or after work, I'll usually have 2 or 3 beers in the lounge before boarding.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
For people here who drink measurably more when flying than when not flying, may I ask why?
Flying is probably my biggest hobby, so I view it as sort of a celebration and drink accordingly....So TBH I barely drink EVER unless in the lounge or on the plane! I also drink more in FC because...it's good to be in the front??

I personally have (single malt ONLY) scotch and water, and recently I've been doing scotch and soda--quite nice ^. I also have red or white wine during and after my meal, depending on beef or chicken..and I have a couple more than usual if it's a Good wine...NEVER the sweet stuff, that gives me a headache even on the ground!!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I while ago I sat next to a lady on LHR-NCL (so 40 minutes in the air) who polished off 3x 50ml complimentary bottles of Johnnie Walker.

I was on LHR- LBA with a lady next to me who was definitely in labour. She also partook, saying , well its too late now. As she grasped my hand and did breathing. Only time I have ever had a whisky on board.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jan 10, 2019 at 7:12 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Whatever the time of day I invariably have a BA175 cocktail when in the CCR.

On board in F I prefer variety over quantity but, as a leisure traveller, do indulge.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
For people here who drink measurably more when flying than when not flying, may I ask why?
I drink very little at home and would normally spend Ł5 on a bottle of wine so it’s nice to try some of the more expensive stuff onboard. This reassures me that I’m right to stick to the cheap stuff at home as I can’t tell the difference.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
It depends! Length of flight, destination, work/leisure, time of day/night, whats on offer!!

I had experience early on with work travel where, on AA J, I was watching the movie and the FA kept refiling my G&T without me really noticing. I got up after the movie to go to the loo and suddenly the world started spinning. I made it to the WC, sat down, and turned the air vent on full on my face for about 10 minutes before I felt normal again. Years later I had a similar experience on QF J, where I had a preboarding drink in the lounge, the small champers on boarding, the pre dinner drink, the wine with the meal and then the post dinner port. Given that I was in a semi reposed position, I shouldn't have gotten up as quick as I did! Again the world started spinning and I repeated the steps I did before.

Normally though I restrict it to maybe a wine with the meal, even in Y. Just seems to help with relaxing and getting to sleep. But only with the first meal service. I like to be clear headed on arrival, especially if I'm collecting a car.

I did use to partake of a swift G&T or Scotch and Soda on BA domestic/ET flights as I felt like I had to get my money's worth! Well, that's another thing for the history books.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: BA
I will unashamedly say I will drink as much as I can; with 1 exception - on a work day trip on the outbound.

Finishing the Champers on board is always an aim :-)
Twoflower, DeathSlam and TTmex like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I don't drink spirits or cocktails*, only beer and wine. Lately more wine than beer.
Lounge: depending from time of the day and time spent there, one or two glasses of wine - white, sparkling or champagne.
On board: 1 glass of pre departure champagne, if offered, and 1 or two glasses of wine (+water) with nuts & main meal. Only soft drinks or water for the remaining of the flight, also with the second meal.

*funny thing I worked as bartender for a bit in my youth, but never tasted the stuff, only prepared & served it
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
If working, no alcohol at all. I just can't function as effectively as I used to as I am getting older.. it's just realistic!

If on leisure, normally a Woodforde Reserve and diet coke in the lounge. followed by a glass of fizz and no more than 2 glasses of wine during the flight- whatever length. I don't want to be that person that other passengers look at and worry about Also, just because it's free, no longer means I should
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
There is something very inelegant to forensically list this, but here goes my confessional and I hang my head in shame as a leisure traveller in J who is still excited by air travel
  • 2 - 3 glasses of fizz in the lounge
  • 1 glass of fizz during boarding
  • 2 glasses of fizz or g&ts before meal
  • 1 glass of wine with starter
  • 1 glass of wine with main
  • 1 glass of red wine with cheese
  • 1 glass of dessert wine (if available) with dessert
  • 1 glass of fizz with breakfast (if overnight) to get me through immigration, unless I'm driving
To reply to an earlier post, this is no different to having a leisurely meal at home...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was seated facing a fellow passenger upstairs on the 747 a few years ago, LHR/JNB who constantly asked for a refill of white wine. It got quite wearisome for me in the end with all the leaning over so I jokingly said, out of the hearing of said passenger, to the cabin crew chappie after about the 10th refill (I kid you not) that perhaps he should leave him the bottle. He gave me a wry smile as if to say “it’s nothing new.” I normally only have the one with my meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.