Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?

Old Jan 9, 19, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

I appreciate that there are lots of variables such as whether you're on business or not and length/time of your flight however take a typical lunchtime departure long haul route. How much do you drink on the flight?

If its a day flight to Dubai I guess I'd have a one or two glasses of wine in the lounge but not always then when onboard its 50/50 whether I have the welcome drink. With my meal and for an hour after my meal I'll probably have 3 maybe 4 glasses of wine. Possibly one before landing.

It sounds like a lot but reading trip reports others seem to drink this before departure...
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Usually either nothing or one glass of wine. Occasionally I might indulge a bit more. Once in a blue moon I'll get quite merry, but generally for me flying and booze don't mix well.
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
My usual routine for leisure flights in F/J:

In the lounge:
Three glasses of champagne before lunch
Two glasses of wine with lunch
A cocktail before coffee and dessert

On board:
Two glasses of boarding champagne
A gin and tonic after take off
3 glasses of wine with lunch/dinner
A glass of dessert wine
A digestif

Then an ibuprofen and as much water as they will give me!
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:00 pm

I suspect this will be highly variable. At one extreme you might have @corporate-wage-slave and the other this legendary report from @macabus: 8 bottles of Dom from LAX-BKK on SQ in F

Personally, at present any business class travel is leisure-based, so I will usually have a drink or two. My most recent was a PRG-DOH-PVG and return. The outbound was well timed for PDB of champagne, wine with the meal, and post-meal whisky before Doha. The onward connection also involved some wine and a whisky (I think, my body clock was a bit screwed at that point). By contrast, the return from PVG involved nothing at all, as it was 1am and I was exhausted. I made up for this with a 4am espresso martini in Doha...

Conclusion? Too many variables: flight length, time of day, what one is doing the next day, what company one is in, general ďdo I feel like alcoholĒ mood, etc.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Given I'm not much of a drinker in everyday life I suspect I would come very low on the BAEC forum boozebag list.
I prefer being compos mentis when travelling.
Xonus, argonath and CloudGazer like this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Not a lot really - but a fair bit of green tea !. Not a big fan of the bubbly stuff, whether in air or on ground

Maybe one glass of wine with main meal, and a decent cognac after (Hennessy Paradis carried by EK being a favourite). If an especially long sector (say 10 hours +) will have a bloody mary too.
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:16 pm

Iíve had four (miniature) bottles of champagne and a single baileys on a LHR-DUB. The crew were pro active and I was the only one in CE. Ordinarily itís two at most and I donít believe they stock baileys anymore.

On longhaul I drink very little for fear of having to deal with a hangover on board, which is something I never want to experience again in my life!
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT & 4.28 MM, QR PLT, SPG LT PLT
For people here who drink measurably more when flying than when not flying, may I ask why?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nh1988 View Post
Iíve had four (miniature) bottles of champagne and a single baileys on a LHR-DUB. The crew were pro active and I was the only one in CE. Ordinarily itís two at most and I donít believe they stock baileys anymore.
Have managed 4 of the 187ml bottles of champagne a few times last year on LBA-LHR which I thought was a decent achievement. My usual is probably more like 2.
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges

Not a huge amount. I tend not to touch the sauce before boarding.

On long haul, perhaps a glass of the fizzy stuff while I settle into my seat, a Bloody Mary before the meal, and a glass of port to accompany the cheese n crackers.

Lately Iíve been enjoying cranberry juice with a dash of tonic
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:10 pm

Tomato juice with Worcestershire sauce and lemon

cant get that on American
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA
It really depends on the time of day for me.
A morning flight and I'll not touch the stuff in the lounge. Anything after lunchtime I'll have a beer or two, might indulge in a glass of bubbly if travelling with the wife.
Once on board regardless of time of day I'll take a welcome champagne.
Again depending whether I'll be sleeping after the first meal or not will depend on my alcohol input.
If I intend to sleep (evening flights) I'll have a bloody mary pre-dinner, a G&T as an aperitif and then have a couple of glasses of wine with my dinner. Usually I won't make it through to dessert and will just then fall asleep. I find the alcohol really helps me to sleep faster...
On a day flight on the other hand it'll be a case of once on board I'll drink like I'm down at the pub on a lazy Sunday afternoon e.g. a constant flow of booze.

I don't think I change my drinking habits when flying to my usual routine...
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Silver ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Its free and I am Dutch..

Globalist
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:20 pm

LPGS is my favourite champagne and do I drink that in the ccr and then maybe 3 glasses on board. Sometimes a nightcap. In CW I havenít drunk anything the past couple of times as the selection is dismal.

They need a different gin and a good craft beer.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jan 9, 19 at 7:26 pm
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Just enough to be comatose from booze and food to have an onboard nap.
kingstontoon, mjghughes and amanx like this.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: