Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No it does not.
Truthmonkey likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:10 am

[QUOTE=Truthmonkey;30948911]When an aircraft is positioning, without passengers onboard, does it require any cabin crew?[/QUOTE

As CIHY says no cabin crew required, it is though eerie to try an empty aircraft around, especially a really Large one
Old May 27, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Does BA repair / service the flip down TV screens on shorthaul aircraft? Not for the first time, the contrast was so poor that the safety video was unwatchable from row 1 and moving map meaningless (this was an A319). Is this something that is checked? I realise there is a move back to the manual demo on the newer Airbus AC but just curious about whether this is checked and if it was found to be defective would BA repair it or just mark the system as INOP until the aircraft is scrapped?

On another note, I was on an A320 recently where instead of reading the manual demo script an audio announcement was played which talked about “portable telephones” being switched off. Just struck me as odd that these are still being used.

Old May 27, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Can a mother breastfeed her baby DURING take-off and landing?
Old May 27, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that is an excellent idea as it helps with babies ears.
TrainDriverSparky likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
On another note, I was on an A320 recently where instead of reading the manual demo script an audio announcement was played which talked about “portable telephones” being switched off. Just struck me as odd that these are still being used.
I’ve also heard this one. I think is also refers to ‘word processors’ being switched off. I think I read in here that these shouldn’t be used anymore.

i’ve heard quite a lot of bad / incoherent announcements recently, wrong type of life jackets (clip or double bow) referred to, ‘find the envelope in your headphone pack’ (on a short haul flight), ‘Please open your window blinds for landing in the event of emergency [full stop] Take nothing with you’ etc - it seems it must be easy to read the wrong one from the iPad when working on different aircraft types and both long and short haul routes. I actually think that an updated set of recorded announcements might be a good idea (like on CityFlyer) but I’m interested in what staff think of this.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Does BA repair / service the flip down TV screens on shorthaul aircraft? Not for the first time, the contrast was so poor that the safety video was unwatchable from row 1 and moving map meaningless (this was an A319). Is this something that is checked? I realise there is a move back to the manual demo on the newer Airbus AC but just curious about whether this is checked and if it was found to be defective would BA repair it or just mark the system as INOP until the aircraft is scrapped?

I believe overhead screens on Airbus aircraft are slowly being removed - there are certainly none at Gatwick. I'm not sure if BA engineering would just end up marking the whole system INOP in the mentioned case - they might have spares readily available. Worth mentioning to the crew who can enter it in the cabin defect log.

Manual Demo's are normally read from a table of announcements written in the Cabin Crew's manual. They (probably!) shouldn't be done using the Pre-Recorded Announcement system (PRA) - which itself is often broken!
Old May 28, 2019, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by volar

I’ve also heard this one. I think is also refers to ‘word processors’ being switched off. I think I read in here that these shouldn’t be used anymore.

i’ve heard quite a lot of bad / incoherent announcements recently, wrong type of life jackets (clip or double bow) referred to, ‘find the envelope in your headphone pack’ (on a short haul flight), ‘Please open your window blinds for landing in the event of emergency [full stop] Take nothing with you’ etc - it seems it must be easy to read the wrong one from the iPad when working on different aircraft types and both long and short haul routes. I actually think that an updated set of recorded announcements might be a good idea (like on CityFlyer) but I’m interested in what staff think of this.
There are a set of Pre Recorded Announcements - the problem is that I think it can be a pain to keep them up-to-date and promulgate to crews on which specific aircraft they can use the announcements, for example. On older Airbus' they are literally played from a tape in the Avionics bay! There are some hanging around at Gatwick with Oasis as the boarding music!

The majority of PRA's are automated emergency announcements (EG: Decompression, ditching, emergency landing).

On some aircraft with a touch screen FAP (Flight Attendant Panel) we have welcome on board announcements in a number of different languages.

Problem is.. BA have so many different Airbus configurations!
Old May 28, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
[QUOTE=Waterhorse;30949196]
Originally Posted by Truthmonkey
When an aircraft is positioning, without passengers onboard, does it require any cabin crew?[/QUOTE

As CIHY says no cabin crew required, it is though eerie to try an empty aircraft around, especially a really Large one
Going back to this and CIHY's answer - when planes are flown out longhaul - i.e. to Singapore / Philippines empty for a variety of checks (or even the Nevada desert if being scrapped) is this still the case?

Or do the flight crew have training in how to use the ovens etc for long haul flights where you'll want hot food and coffee?
Old May 28, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it’s still the case, our flight crew are quite able to look after themselves.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:24 am

[QUOTE=Sam Bee;31145193]
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

Going back to this and CIHY's answer - when planes are flown out longhaul - i.e. to Singapore / Philippines empty for a variety of checks (or even the Nevada desert if being scrapped) is this still the case?

Or do the flight crew have training in how to use the ovens etc for long haul flights where you'll want hot food and coffee?
Brewers and ovens are pretty easy to use! Not sure if long haul guys get any specific training but I'm pretty sure we could work it out without!
Old May 28, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Don't they just bring their own McDonalds?
Old May 28, 2019, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Don't they just bring their own McDonalds?
Good shout! The crew food isn't great!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Can Mixed Fleet crew that join as new recruits, choose just to do short haul routes on a Monday to Friday basis only if they wanted? (asking for a friend)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl
Can Mixed Fleet crew that join as new recruits, choose just to do short haul routes on a Monday to Friday basis only if they wanted? (asking for a friend)
Not really. Flight and cabin crew 'bid' for the trips they want. As you can imagine, weekends off are very popular and the system is seniority based, so you won't have the best chance as a new entrant. Likewise, you can't do short-haul only, at the very least you'd need to do enough long haul trips to keep your certification current on that aircraft type.
icegirl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.