Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA OnBusiness - Major Inconsistency in T&Cs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:22 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

I wondered whether anyone had any views on the matter I'm about to present, or thoughts on how to raise this.

According to the Terms & Conditions on how to Earn OnBusiness Points:
- You can earn On Business Points on qualifying flights with American Airlines, British Airways, Iberia and all eligible partners. The eligible partners include BA CityFlyer, Air Nostrum, Comair, Sunair and Iberia Express. British Airways marketed routes operated by Japan Airline, Qantas and Qatar Airways are also eligible.
  • Marketed' means the flight will have a British Airways flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
  • 'Operated' means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BA CityFlyer).

- All published fares booked on eligible airlines, ticketed on American Airlines (001), British Airways (125), and Iberia (075) ticket stock are eligible to earn On Business Points.Reward Flights, group bookings, agency or industry discounted tickets and any other fares that have already been discounted, are not eligible to earn On Business PointsIn my bolding above, you will spot I have highlighted Qatar Airways.

So, fast forward to today, and I have credited 9 flights to the OnBusness program. All 9 were ticketed on BA 125 stock. All flights were ticketed on BA flight numbers. Indeed the flights I have added to my account, have increased my Airline Spend visible on the OnBusiness Dashboard. However, no OnBusiness points have been accrued.

When I called up OnBusiness to discuss this matter, they told me that flights on JAL, QF, and QR, are not eligible. But, they are - see the above Terms & Conditions.

What can I do? The person on the phone told me to write a Complaint to BA, but the fact that I have not been credited with Points, means I will be unable to use the current points I have (which expire in 2018) - the plan was for the newly accrued points, to add to the existing, and thus allow me to book something more than a few shorthauls.

Any advice would be appreciated, but this looks like a blatant attempt by BA to ignore their Terms & Conditions.

M
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:56 am

Call again, remind them its in the terms and conditions, and failure to rectify will force you to go to the small claims court.

I suspect they will do nothing, so book the flights you want, let the points expire then go to court for a refund.Not much else you can do.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by rapidex
Call again, remind them its in the terms and conditions, and failure to rectify will force you to go to the small claims court.

I suspect they will do nothing, so book the flights you want, let the points expire then go to court for a refund.Not much else you can do.
I've emailed them through the Complaints Form, but it's the difference between booking 3 short-hauls (which I can do with Avios), or 1 longhaul - which is probably a better use of the points.

I'll try them again on Monday.

M
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I feel for you.

OnBusiness has become a crap scheme. The most recent change a couple of years ago saw to that. The points you do now get are a fraction of what you previously received and redemptions in premium classes have also doubled. By my reckoning you now need to spend 4 times as much for the same redemption. Economy redemptions did not increase by as much but no longer get fulfilled from the previous B bucket but from the V bucket meaning that any BA Gold card holder has access to the same inventory for (much better value) Avios redemptions. Indeed Business redemptions are now fulfilled from R buckets as opposed to the previous C bucket which to me is a further devaluation.

I have had endless flights that do not credit correctly and while the service agents are usually friendly, actually getting hold of somebody that understands the scheme is hard work. This time of year, that will be almost impossible, especially if you have to use Bremen, like me.

My most recent flights, which had to be rerouted due to the LGW incident have also not credited. BA issued new tickets to Iberia to reroute me via MAD and I checked the OB number was still in the PNR but of course no credit. And, no chance to claim for credit until 10 days after the flights, which just as you, restricts me spending other points due to expire in 2 days time.

I hardly ever have flights credit the same amount of points as €’s shown on the tickets but have given up wasting my time claiming the differences as the amount of time this consumes is in no way relative to the value of the points.

Once, when attempting to change the return flight on an OB booking, I was refused the change quoting the T’s and C’s which was absolute BS and I had to screenshot BA’s own website back to them to “persuade” them to perform the change.

My collection of points will soon be either used or expired and I see no point continuing to use the scheme. The chances of collecting enough points for a worthwhile redemption have vanished. The idea of the scheme to help smaller bussinesses cannot be fulfilled, since it is only the larger spending businesses which can now really benefit at all, although even in their case much less than previously.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I feel for you.

OnBusiness has become a crap scheme. The most recent change a couple of years ago saw to that. The points you do now get are a fraction of what you previously received and redemptions in premium classes have also doubled. By my reckoning you now need to spend 4 times as much for the same redemption. Economy redemptions did not increase by as much but no longer get fulfilled from the previous B bucket but from the V bucket meaning that any BA Gold card holder has access to the same inventory for (much better value) Avios redemptions. Indeed Business redemptions are now fulfilled from R buckets as opposed to the previous C bucket which to me is a further devaluation.

I have had endless flights that do not credit correctly and while the service agents are usually friendly, actually getting hold of somebody that understands the scheme is hard work. This time of year, that will be almost impossible, especially if you have to use Bremen, like me.

My most recent flights, which had to be rerouted due to the LGW incident have also not credited. BA issued new tickets to Iberia to reroute me via MAD and I checked the OB number was still in the PNR but of course no credit. And, no chance to claim for credit until 10 days after the flights, which just as you, restricts me spending other points due to expire in 2 days time.

I hardly ever have flights credit the same amount of points as €’s shown on the tickets but have given up wasting my time claiming the differences as the amount of time this consumes is in no way relative to the value of the points.

Once, when attempting to change the return flight on an OB booking, I was refused the change quoting the T’s and C’s which was absolute BS and I had to screenshot BA’s own website back to them to “persuade” them to perform the change.

My collection of points will soon be either used or expired and I see no point continuing to use the scheme. The chances of collecting enough points for a worthwhile redemption have vanished. The idea of the scheme to help smaller bussinesses cannot be fulfilled, since it is only the larger spending businesses which can now really benefit at all, although even in their case much less than previously.
I agree that the scheme was heavily devalued a couple of years ago, especially in terms of finding availability - which used to be much better than Avios.

However, I've got the points, and I might as well try and burn them up...albeit the inconsistency seems to be a stumbling block!

M
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:09 pm

For the sake of your blood pressure, you should probably just forget about the lost points.

I guess you can keep emailing but you’re likely to receive replies saying “we’re following this up and will be in touch soon”. Leave it six months and the same reply will result.

Is is there any experience out there of court cases for missing points?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I wondered whether anyone had any views on the matter I'm about to present, or thoughts on how to raise this.

According to the Terms & Conditions on how to Earn OnBusiness Points:
- You can earn On Business Points on qualifying flights with American Airlines, British Airways, Iberia and all eligible partners. The eligible partners include BA CityFlyer, Air Nostrum, Comair, Sunair and Iberia Express. British Airways marketed routes operated by Japan Airline, Qantas and Qatar Airways are also eligible.
  • Marketed' means the flight will have a British Airways flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
  • 'Operated' means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BA CityFlyer).

- All published fares booked on eligible airlines, ticketed on American Airlines (001), British Airways (125), and Iberia (075) ticket stock are eligible to earn On Business Points.Reward Flights, group bookings, agency or industry discounted tickets and any other fares that have already been discounted, are not eligible to earn On Business PointsIn my bolding above, you will spot I have highlighted Qatar Airways.

So, fast forward to today, and I have credited 9 flights to the OnBusness program. All 9 were ticketed on BA 125 stock. All flights were ticketed on BA flight numbers. Indeed the flights I have added to my account, have increased my Airline Spend visible on the OnBusiness Dashboard. However, no OnBusiness points have been accrued.

When I called up OnBusiness to discuss this matter, they told me that flights on JAL, QF, and QR, are not eligible. But, they are - see the above Terms & Conditions.

What can I do? The person on the phone told me to write a Complaint to BA, but the fact that I have not been credited with Points, means I will be unable to use the current points I have (which expire in 2018) - the plan was for the newly accrued points, to add to the existing, and thus allow me to book something more than a few shorthauls.

Any advice would be appreciated, but this looks like a blatant attempt by BA to ignore their Terms & Conditions.

M
Have you actually just called back and queried this? I think this will make more sense than customer relations who will refer you back to onbusiness.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba

Have you actually just called back and queried this? I think this will make more sense than customer relations who will refer you back to onbusiness.
Not yet, but will do this morning as OB operate different working hours to BA Customer Relations.

My email has been passed onto the OB team though, so that's a positive.

M
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I'm pleased to report back that OB have now credited the points - it had to be done manually.

The lack of knowledge from some of the OB CS staff was shocking, but daily calls and emails seems to have made them aware of the issue!

M
Stez and Geordie405 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I agree with the poster above, Make your complaint and if successful, claim compensation for the lost points you were unable to use.

I was caught out a couple of years ago by the line that says 'any fares that have already been discounted' were not eligible. This meant they would not credit points for tickets I had paid with my BA Chase card which I think is ridiculous. Living in the US I was fortunate to be able to switch the company earnings to the AA program. I have not used On Business since.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I agree with the poster above, Make your complaint and if successful, claim compensation for the lost points you were unable to use.

I was caught out a couple of years ago by the line that says 'any fares that have already been discounted' were not eligible. This meant they would not credit points for tickets I had paid with my BA Chase card which I think is ridiculous. Living in the US I was fortunate to be able to switch the company earnings to the AA program. I have not used On Business since.
Out of curiosity, as the above would be my next step (dependent on how my recently sent email goes down), how would you put a value on OB Points?

M
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Out of curiosity, as the above would be my next step (dependent on how my recently sent email goes down), how would you put a value on OB Points?
I would value OB points like this. Take a figure based on the original OB program value and then multiply it by 0 to reflect the current program.

Seriously though, if points expired because of this cockup which meant you were unable to use them I would simply ask for the points to be re-instated.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I would value OB points like this. Take a figure based on the original OB program value and then multiply it by 0 to reflect the current program.

Seriously though, if points expired because of this cockup which meant you were unable to use them I would simply ask for the points to be re-instated.
That's precisely what I have asked for - albeit I haven't yet threatened legal action.

M
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
Personally I value 1 OB point as the equivalent of 2 Avios.

My my use of them is mainly to open up additional availability on long haul WTP and Club when Avios redemptions are not available and short haul Coach in USA.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
They only have a value when you intend to use them. I would purchase a cash ticket that has similar fare conditions to an OB funded ticket and for which OB points could have been used at the time. I would then claim for the cash as BA’s breach in failing to adhere to the terms has led you to have to use alternative means to purchase the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.