Wiki Posts
Search

Booking BA flights through Amex Travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Pretty sure that's true when booked direct with BA. Booking thru a TA introduces additional complications and conditions for UuA, and I wonder whether any of these depend on the fare bucket? Like you I am interested to hear more details.
no difference in terms of eligible selling classes whether booked with ba or a ta. There are additional restrictions for UuAs with a ta booking (e.g. not having non-BA flights) but I have noted them above.
fruitcage likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by aceman
I would also point out that with amex online bookings, changing any dates can be an absolute nightmare. Emails go unanswered for days, and if you call in, the phone team has to call the online team which takes a long time....
My experience from is that emails are responded to within 24 hours, but some agents lack professionalism (poor spelling and grammar and make mistakes when describing my itinerary).

However when I called them to cancel a booking in early 2018 it was very speedy and no transfer to another team needed.

They add on a £20 fee for changes or cancellations in addition to BA's own charges. I'm not sure if travel agents get free cancellation within 24 hours if they have ticketed the booking...

In my case Amex waived their cancellation fee; it was not a BA flight so I had to pay the airline fee
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA

no difference in terms of eligible selling classes whether booked with ba or a ta. There are additional restrictions for UuAs with a ta booking (e.g. not having non-BA flights) but I have noted them above.
That was also my understanding. I am no expert and just trying to learn, but there is a comment on HFP about this. https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/1...comment-311089

A word of warning here.
If you buy a WT+ ticket from Amex they sometimes sell you a BT class fare instead of the T class your ticket will state it is.
This then means you can not upgrade it to CW.
Extremely poor behaviour from Amex and there is absolutely no indication it is a BT class fare on any screens or any documentation you receive – it is only when you contact BA to upgrade that they explain what Amex has done to screw you.

This is not a case of not checking the class of what you are buying, it will say T-class all the way through and even on the tickets you are sent.

Appalling behaviour.
Never heard of two-letter fare buckets myself, so doesn't make much sense to me. Does it to anyone more leaned?

Last edited by fruitcage; Dec 21, 2018 at 11:10 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ah yes those are bulk tour fares. Yes I don’t think you can UuA them. They shouldn’t be too common tho.
fruitcage likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought all WTP fare buckets (W,E,T) are upgradable with avios? Do you have anymore detail on this?
Under normal circumstances yes, however Amex do buy up discounted mixed inventory which includes flights that are in un-upgradable fare buckets. Such situations include heavy discounted packaged deals where AMEX splits out the hotel section and sells the flight/accommodation separately.

As another recent example I also purchased BA flights from an OTA included in a package ( to Punta Cana ) WT out and WTP back. Nearer the time I asked if it was posible to upgrade the return to club and was told yes but the WTP fare bucket had to upgraded from a non up-gradable class to an up-gradable one as the current bucket was non standard. How its possible to upgrade from a non up-gradable class I have no idea but the WTP fare had to repriced before I could get the price to upgrade.

Apparently its more common that you would think as it is very profitable.

Last edited by sunshinebob; Dec 22, 2018 at 3:25 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I booked a BA CW ticket through the IAP program, when I go to the BA site to try to upgrade with Avios (there isn't any Z available just wanted to check) it says it is not possible to do and to contact the TA (Amex Travel). But looking at my fare class it is an Business class(I), is this still considered a BT fare, or would this be eligible to upgrade with Avios? Would it have to be a call in and not use the online option within the booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.