Booking BA flights through Amex Travel

Old Dec 21, 18, 3:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GLA
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 144
Booking BA flights through Amex Travel

Hi all,

I have an offer on my Amex card to get 200 back if I spend >600 through Amex Travel.

I'm looking at booking BA flights to YVR for January travel. I normally book directly with BA; will I still get tier points etc booking through Amex? And will the booking be available in BA app for seat selection after booking.

Apologies if they are dumb questions!

Cheers
TheChangingMan is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 3:27 am
  #2  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,468
Yes to your questions.

TPs and avios as normal. You will also get a PNR that allows you to add your booking to BA.com and select seat etc. Usual status benefits apply.
madfish is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 3:32 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GLA
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 144
Thanks! Button pressed and flights booked.
TheChangingMan is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 3:51 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 41
Another question to tag on to this - does the free 24 hour cancellation period still apply if a BA flight is booked via Amex?
goldwannabe is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Programs: BA, Marriott & SPG, Hilton, Avis
Posts: 262
AMEX travel booked flights, usually appear on your AMEX credit card as a separate transactions for each passenger. So a reservation booked for two people at a total cost of 700 usually posts as 2x 350 transactions to your credit card, however the discount will still be awarded after a few days.

Sometimes these offers specify 'in a single transaction', but it seems the latest ones don't include that.
howbigmassive is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:11 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,965
Hi,

I have a similar offer and was wondering can I book PE and use Avios to upgrade to Club? Or similarly book Club and Avios up to First?

Many thanks
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:17 am
  #7  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 47,699
Originally Posted by goldwannabe View Post
Another question to tag on to this - does the free 24 hour cancellation period still apply if a BA flight is booked via Amex?
I don't believe it does (though if USA based there are regulatory issues involved there, so this answer applies to the UK Amex Travel). If you are going to use an online travel agency, Amex is one of the good guys, relatively speaking, but still there remains advantages in direct booking.

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun View Post
I have a similar offer and was wondering can I book PE and use Avios to upgrade to Club? Or similarly book Club and Avios up to First?
I believe that Amex UK can do this, provided it is done at the time of purchase - whether it's part of the offer I know not.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 21, 18 at 5:25 am
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:30 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,965
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post


I believe that Amex UK can do this, provided it is done at the time of purchase - whether it's part of the offer I know not.
Thanks, so I cannot book the ticket then upgrade it with avios via BA.com later only at time of purchase.
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 5:20 am
  #9  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,020
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I don't believe it does (though if USA based there are regulatory issues involved there, so this answer applies to the UK Amex Travel). If you are going to use an online travel agency, Amex is one of the good guys, relatively speaking, but still there remains advantages in direct booking.

I believe that Amex UK can do this, provided it is done at the time of purchase - whether it's part of the offer I know not.
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun View Post
Thanks, so I cannot book the ticket then upgrade it with avios via BA.com later only at time of purchase.
I think cws has confused UuA with GUFs - understandable considering the amount of time he has been helping people with the LGW thing over the last few days.

For a UuA (so upgrading with avios) a TA cannot do it at all since they have no access to your avios. You can make the booking with a TA and then, subject to there being reward space, you call BAEC to do the UuA.

There are also some other restrictions when UuA'ing a TA booking, this is the relevant section from the TP run thread.

Upgrading Using Avios (UuA) & Gold Upgrade Vouchers (GUF)
A quick note on doing UuAs is that you can do these for exEU itineraries (or you can apply a GUF if you have any). The following restrictions for UuAs apply though:

Summary guide to bookings which can be upgraded with Avios:
  • BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
  • Tickets issued on non-BA stock
The rules have previously said that the TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership as well. However, apparently this is not enforced consistently so hopefully this shouldn't be an issue. See these two posts for more information on that point https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29280847-post33.html & https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29282377-post38.html

A BA Holiday booking (flights & hotel) is UuA'able and treated as a TA booking, so a booking including non BA flights could not be UuA'ed. Also a BA Holiday booking which was made using a TA can not be UuA'ed.

Note that even if booked direct with BA on a 125-... ticket you can't UuA BA marketed and AA operated flight. The BA flight must be both BA marketed and operated.

There is more information on UuA'ing TA bookings here.
KARFA is online now  
Old Dec 21, 18, 5:25 am
  #10  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 47,699
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
For a UuA (so upgrading with avios) a TA cannot do it at all since they have no access to your avios. You can make the booking with a TA and then, subject to there being reward space, you call BAEC to do the UuA.
My apologies, indeed it was a GUF I was thinking of, UuA is very different and subject to the restrictions mentioned (which basically ensure that BA have full ownership of any issues) then UuA should be OK.
KARFA likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 5:51 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: living near Malaga
Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun View Post
Hi,
I have a similar offer and was wondering can I book PE and use Avios to upgrade to Club? Or similarly book Club and Avios up to First?
Many thanks
Be aware that there has been many incidences where Amex ( and other OTA ) has previously booked the WT+ (PE) tickets into a non-upgradable fare bucket which will prevent you moving into club. If you are looking at the Amex offer then you have to buy online and as such may get caught out as you cant get verbal confirmation before you buy.
sunshinebob is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 6:04 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Hertz pres circle, SPG Gold, hilton diamond
Posts: 2,491
I would also point out that with amex online bookings, changing any dates can be an absolute nightmare. Emails go unanswered for days, and if you call in, the phone team has to call the online team which takes a long time....

Back to that offer, I last had it a couple of months ago, and split it into 3 separate transactions across 2 statement dates, and the 200 back posted with no problems. Funnily enough . just got it again, 200 off 600, but it arrived 3 days after I booked a load of travel...
aceman is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 6:07 am
  #13  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,020
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Be aware that there has been many incidences where Amex ( and other OTA ) has previously booked the WT+ (PE) tickets into a non-upgradable fare bucket which will prevent you moving into club. If you are looking at the Amex offer then you have to buy online and as such may get caught out as you cant get verbal confirmation before you buy.
I thought all WTP fare buckets (W,E,T) are upgradable with avios? Do you have anymore detail on this?
redeyedonkey likes this.
KARFA is online now  
Old Dec 21, 18, 6:58 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GLA
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 144
The WT+ that I booked today is in "T".
TheChangingMan is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 11:30 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,069
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I thought all WTP fare buckets (W,E,T) are upgradable with avios? Do you have anymore detail on this?
Pretty sure that's true when booked direct with BA. Booking thru a TA introduces additional complications and conditions for UuA, and I wonder whether any of these depend on the fare bucket? Like you I am interested to hear more details.
fruitcage is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: