Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by rapidex
EU261 most certainly will be applicable. The duty of care parts will apply, even if the compensation does not.
Yes of course, the duty of care is still applicable, which I noted in my post. I should have been more clear.
Compensation however in this case seems a lost cause especially if the T word gets used in response to this incident. Although pax should still be getting food or vouchers and accommodation where applicable.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by lpoolrob
There has to be more to this story.

We are approaching hour 20, the media are all over it - but none of them are able to supply a photo of even a dot in the sky, never mind a large industrial drone.
I get the impression from the news that it (or they) are not constantly buzzing around the airport, but randomly popping up occasionally whenever it looks like the airport may be about to reopen. If that is the case then it wouldn't be that easy to get a picture given the size of the airport and the likely distance the media are away from the drone(s).
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by pred02
Hi,

I am/was due to fly on Norwegian Air DI7147 from LGW to BOS today. The original flight was due to depart at 1620, it is has been rescheduled to 19h but I do not think that is happening. I rebooked on the same flight tomorrow (before the cancellation so avoid the flight) but if this situation doesn't get resolved how can I get Norwegian to book me on another carrier?

I talked to Norwegian they insist only to rebook on Norwegian. If this does not get sorted I will need to buy an expensive one way ticket from LHR.

Any suggestions?
Cancel for a refund, use 20k avios and £ to book on a BA avios flight Friday or Saturday
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
According to the BBC News, the Police have now made a formal request for assistance from the Ministry of Defence.
In the past, government departments like Ofcom would have had equipment to trace any radio (control) link. I dare say that capability is no longer as good as it used to be in this age of austerity. And as others have rightly pointed out, these devices may not be controlled anyway. I wonder if they expect the military to trace a radio link or do something more spectacular.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AC 35K
BA 2068 seems to be diverting to continental Europe based on its northerly routing at 22000 feet over France.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Skywall 100 Drone Takedown Bazooka but only to appox 300ft (100m)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by lpoolrob
There has to be more to this story.

We are approaching hour 20, the media are all over it - but none of them are able to supply a photo of even a dot in the sky, never mind a large industrial drone.
20 hrs & the authorities cannot secure the 2nd largest airport in the U.K. from drones.... National Disgrace
PAL62V, PJSMITH0, AAtticus and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:22 am

I'm really sorry for folks caught up in this just before Christmas.

It's one thing to have delays due to weather, planes going tech or even industrial action but this is just awful.

Hope everyone is getting through it somehow
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
BA 2068 seems to be diverting to continental Europe based on its northerly routing at 22000 feet over France.
Currently showing at least a 3 hour delay, albeit it looks like it's en route to BRU first!

M
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Interesting feed from EZY on BBC ticker..
"Customers on cancelled flights today, will be entitled to a free of charge transfer to an alternative flight and hotel accommodation if required."
We will also reimburse any reasonable expenses incurred by passengers who arrange their own comparable alternative transport."
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Was flying in BA2775 JER - LGW connecting to LHR tomorrow morning. We're on Condor Liberation ferry now, arriving in Poole ETA 21:45 - Long shot but got a transfer booked to Heathrow with 3 available seats - if anyone needs a lift tonight....
wrp96 and squawk like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by sxc
I find it odd that there are no photos of the actual drone.
I’ve seen one on a social media page of an airport worker.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:32 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
BA have made a similar statement, which BBC have posted:

“We take the safety of our customers and crew extremely seriously, and like most airlines at Gatwick Airport, we have cancelled a number of flights today.“

Our airport teams are working to minimise the disruption for our customers at what we know is a very important time of year. “

We are offering customers travelling to or from Gatwick today and tomorrow a range of re-book and refund options, and encouraging them to check ba.com for the latest information about their flight before they leave home.”

The Airline says it has now given out:
  • More than 2,000 refreshment vouchers
  • 22,000 bottles of water
  • More than 4,000 cans of soft drinks
  • 1,200 cheese and biscuit packs
  • More than 1,000 slices of cake
  • Nearly 3,000 biscuits
  • 3,600 packets of crackers
  • 1,800 packets of crisps
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by chris63

20 hrs & the authorities cannot secure the 2nd largest airport in the U.K. from drones.... National Disgrace
I would draw a different conclusion - namely, that it's a bloody hard problem to solve

From the various news reports, it appears that a number of drones are flying in from random directions, patrolling / hovering for random amounts of time then departing for random destinations (random at least to the observer).

No doubt the unit(s) are flying a varied low-profile approach inbound then "popping up" once over the airfield.

They can't be tracked with primary radar (until the military turn up anyway) and no doubt are giving off very little RF signature.

Not sure what else the authorities can do except bring in tracking / attacking expertise from the armed services and hope for the best.

LGW's boundary is about 6 miles long - good luck on covering that with Mark 1 eyeball for an extended period - you'd need an army of observers !!

Glad I'm on the train tomorrow night...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
I would draw a different conclusion - namely, that it's a bloody hard problem to solve

From the various news reports, it appears that a number of drones are flying in from random directions, patrolling / hovering for random amounts of time then departing for random destinations (random at least to the observer).

No doubt the unit(s) are flying a varied low-profile approach inbound then "popping up" once over the airfield.

They can't be tracked with primary radar (until the military turn up anyway) and no doubt are giving off very little RF signature.

Not sure what else the authorities can do except bring in tracking / attacking expertise from the armed services and hope for the best.

LGW's boundary is about 6 miles long - good luck on covering that with Mark 1 eyeball for an extended period - you'd need an army of observers !!

Glad I'm on the train tomorrow night...
Well, I was under the impression that the Governments first responsibilities are to protect the public & keep major facilities operational, clearly they are failing spectacularly in the latter, drones have been around for ages & the glaring reality that the authorities appear incabable of responding is shocking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.