Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Ba hardly covering themselves in glory here either, asking us to check our bookings online to see available options, only to be met with the message

Error

• We're sorry, but ba.com is very busy at the moment, and couldn't deal with your request. Please do try again - if it still doesn't work, it may be better to try again at another time.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Apparently the ban on night flights has been lifted if they can get the airport open again which may help some people.
Which doesn't really help if pilots have timed out, if the destination airport enforces its night curfew, or if the aircraft couldn't get to LGW. I hope that the situation is resolved ASAP.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:33 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Just tried phoning BA to swap my LGW-GLA flight tomorrow night to LHR or LCY. Advised to phone back as the systems are down.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aceman
Ba hardly covering themselves in glory here either, asking us to check our bookings online to see available options, only to be met with the message
And now airport check-in is broken across the whole network.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...12-2018-a.html
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by McG
Just tried phoning BA to swap my LGW-GLA flight tomorrow night to LHR or LCY. Advised to phone back as the systems are down.
Originally Posted by ringingup
And now airport check-in is broken across the whole network.
When it rains ... it pours.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Chris Grayling just said on sky that night time restrictions are going to be lifted at other airports for tonight only.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This has the hallmarks of an Amadeus / Altéa failure since other airlines are impacted. When this happened last time it was out for under an hour, though it took longer to sort out the various operational impacts.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This has the hallmarks of an Amadeus / Altéa failure since other airlines are impacted. When this happened last time it was out for under an hour, though it took longer to sort out the various operational impacts.
It sure seems to be an Altea issue. Various reports of problems with other airlines that use Altea. OLCI for my LX flight tommorrow doesn't work anymore for example. Sure doesn't help the situation at LGW. Hopefully this gets sorted soon.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FlyEurope
It sure seems to be an Altea issue. Various reports of problems with other airlines that use Altea. OLCI for my LX flight tommorrow doesn't work anymore for example. Sure doesn't help the situation at LGW. Hopefully this gets sorted soon.
Thanks for that confirmation, LX are also on Altéa so it seems likely (and perhaps helpful in that this will need fixing very very urgently). Strange thing was that the last time this happened, by coincidence it was the same day as a small fire in the control tower at LHR also caused disruption, leading to a double dollop of trouble.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Thanks for that confirmation, LX are also on Altéa so it seems likely (and perhaps helpful in that this will need fixing very very urgently). Strange thing was that the last time this happened, by coincidence it was the same day as a small fire in the control tower at LHR also caused disruption, leading to a double dollop of trouble.
Looks like when they have an issue where they could be liable for EC261 they ask the airport to create a bigger issue and avoid having to pay 😀
wrp96 and WorldLux like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:03 am

Strange thing was that the last time this happened, by coincidence it was the same day as a small fire in the control tower at LHR also caused disruption, leading to a double dollop of trouble.
I am very glad I am not traveling today, but I do feel sorry for everyone caught up in this - including the customer-facing staff who are going to have to deal with an awful lot of very stressed out passengers.

IT failure plus the drone issue - hopefully nothing more will happen, I think we've got enough disruption already
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:04 am

New update from BA - I somehow knew they hadn't got rid of the old CW bedding:

Drone sightings at London Gatwick have resulted in the closure of the airport.
Please advise customers to check the on ba.com before departing for the airport

Update on today’s operation at London Gatwick @ 17:30 20Dec18

All shorthaul flights are now cancelled
All longhaul flights are now cancelled

Inbound flights from Male (MLE) and Mauritius (MRU) will arrive into LHR and customers dispersed from there 3 Santa charters have night stopped and will depart tomorrow
Crew have stayed with all the aircraft so will return with the aircraft, subject to airport opening.

Email regarding sale was pulled however ba.com does have sale message live.

We have raised an order for 5000 old CW quilts and 5000 old CW cushions for delivery to Gatwick tonight

We are aware of system issues with Pegasus & Amadeus – this has been reported as a high priority issue
adrianlondon, wrp96 and squawk like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
BA2233 LGW-BDA seems to have been rescheduled to depart LHR instead and has just departed.
Thats been pretty quickly organised by BA for only ~4 hours delay
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
That's the BA schedule wiped for the day then, thanks for the update CWS. I assume at some point this will be reflected on the BA.com status page where a number of flights are still shown as expected to be operating?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
now statements coming from the Gatwick CEO that the drones were a targetted attack

Do we predict the airport will be closed for several days ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.