Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by florens

Why would they reopen the airport when the threat is not neutralised?
If they haven't seen the drone for X amount of time then they will reopen. Numerous times yesterday they went to reopen and the drone reappeared thus putting that plan to stop.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:48 am

I am now on the DI7147 Norwegian from LGW-BOS scheduled for 16:50 today. The status says is on-time, however I am aware that the inbound flight from Boston did not arrive yesterday and tomorrow. How would I find out if the actual plane 787 will be available? I booked a backup flight tomorrow but I am going to cancel I have until 3pm today.

Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Small update from BA, probably the most useful aspect is the confirmation that Update 6 of the Customer Guidelines is still valid.
Drone sightings at London Gatwick had resulted in the closure of the airport yesterday
Update on today’s operation at London Gatwick @ 07:30 21Dec18
Operations have begun at LGW – 6 departures so far and 1 inbound
We are expecting delays throughout the day, please advise customers to check the on ba.com before departing for the airport
Check in working well, flights getting airborne
Flow rate is now at 10 per hour
Please use Guidelines Update 6 published yesterday 20/12/2018
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Yes I was referring to the UK, and if you'd read the subsequent thread you would see that this morning I've already provided more information on this. But in the interests of not misleading others (wildly or otherwise) and being helpful to them, can you provide some examples of policies that do include missed connections as part of their standard cover?
The Platinum and British Airways Premium cards from American Express both include missed connections as part of the included travel insurance. The FlexAccount and FlexPlus accounts from Nationwide also cover missed connections in their included travel insurances.

I am sure there will be several others with similar cover so definitely worth anyone affected to check their policy.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
What is that 10 per hour flow rate relative to what is normal? What is required to maintain schedules given that FR and VS have gone elsewhere today?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Would one get any compensation for a £6k First flight?
No more than you would get for a £200 economy flight. Which in this case is nothing.
DYKWIA, JAXBA, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Serious question: Given that aircraft engines are designed to withstand bird ingestion of something goose sized with hard bones, could it also withstand ingestion of a hobbyist sized drone? Those are mostly plastic and I would think the plastic would shatter/break apart on ingestion, in a similar manner to goose bones. Be interesting to know if that becomes part of the RR/GE test procedure.
Well, those birds can do quite a bit of damage too. On top of that, birds don't tend to have lithium batteries in them. I don't want to know what happens if a lithium battery ends up shredded in the engine. There are a couple of videos on the internet showing the damage caused by drones, including smaller drones taking out a 737 winglet.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
What is that 10 per hour flow rate relative to what is normal? What is required to maintain schedules given that FR and VS have gone elsewhere today?
I'm sure someone with the exact / more recent numbers will come along but from memory 55 ish movements an hour is somewhere around the theoretical max with about 40 ish an hour the 'best' average over a day. I saw a graph once that showed something like once you go over about 50 an hour the delays get much worse due to ground congestion, taxiway infrastructure etc etc.

Sorry just edit to say the 10 flow rate is probably arrivals only and the numbers I have given are arrivals and departures.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Well, those birds can do quite a bit of damage too. On top of that, birds don't tend to have lithium batteries in them. I don't want to know what happens if a lithium battery ends up shredded in the engine. There are a couple of videos on the internet showing the damage caused by drones, including smaller drones taking out a 737 winglet.
Indeed, the engine will be destroyed by the bird tests, but the main thing is the damage is contained. I would imagine the results with a drone would be similar.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Serious question: Given that aircraft engines are designed to withstand bird ingestion of something goose sized with hard bones, could it also withstand ingestion of a hobbyist sized drone? Those are mostly plastic and I would think the plastic would shatter/break apart on ingestion, in a similar manner to goose bones. Be interesting to know if that becomes part of the RR/GE test procedure.

Or to phrase it another way, is it known if ingestion of a small/medium sized drone is guaranteed fatal to an aircraft engine?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
The most frequently posted 737 winglet video has been widely discredited. At the moment there are only two definite drone - aircraft collisions (one in Canada resulting in a dent in the wing and one in the US involving a military helicopter) both landed safely. There is one suspected one from the other week in Mexico, I say suspected as no evidence of a drone has yet been reported and we've seen damage like that from manufacturing defects, unreported ground damage and other causes. (there was also a recent UK light aircraft versus model glider but for reasons I don't fully understand that doesn't seem to have been counted as a "drone").

However, the point is we really don't know what the likely outcome will be there are too many variables to easily make predictions. There are some theoretical models, there has been some "testing" showing alarming damage but much of that is disputed due to the methodologies used. The most formal "guess' from the FAA is that a hobby drone would do damage but it would be unlikely to be catastrophic but testing is limited. Birds themselves vary massively and the tests done on engines use a standardised format based on some risk probability calculations which of course can be exceeded in the real world.

So we are slightly in the same territory as volcanic ash , we know the outcome is bad, but we don't know if its bad as in immediately fatal for everyone, bad as in it's going to cost a lot of money to fix or bad as in a bit of paperwork. We're left with a solution of not hitting the drone and the method of achieving that is segregation which currently only works as long as people follow the rules. Clearly we're outside that with Gatwick this week.
wrp96, DaveS and Takiteasy like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Would one get any compensation for a £6k First flight?
On BBC Breakfast this morning, the reporter their said NO compensation is payable as this is an extraordinary event.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:06 am

If you are stuck in Madrid and want to be in the UK and can get to the airport NOW then consider calling Synergy Aviation. They just tweeted this...
We have an empty leg flight from #Madrid to #Blackbushe on our @Cessna #Mustang at 13:00 Local time today, 21st. With @Gatwick_Airport’s #GatwickDrones issue we’re happy to give this away FREE who need to get home to their family for Christmas. Please #retweet #bizav #avgeek
I have no connection with the company, just saw it on Twitter.

JimEddie, shefgab, lfc84 and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by bogof
On BBC Breakfast this morning, the reporter their said NO compensation is payable as this is an extraordinary event.
That's unfortunate ... a lot of money down the drain.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Brown, Hilton Gold
Keeping traffic control busy..

There's a fair amount of traffic stacking up above East Sussex this morning..I'm guessing they are taking a cautious approach to see if any reappearances of the drone with lots of aircraft in holding waiting for landing slots.

Circles in the sky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.