Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GodAtum
That's unfortunate ... a lot of money down the drain.
Perhaps you could elaborate but at a basic level if your flight was cancelled you can get a refund. If you weren't able to make your flight due to the drone incident there may be rebooking options available to you.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I think I can single handedly claim credit for the reopening of LGW today.

Assuming that I was going to be delayed, I did nothing that I needed to do yesterday, and instead ended up out on a rather heavy drinking spree. Cue today, massively hungover, no packing done, no haircut, christmas shopping or the remainder of my apartment move done before the painters arrive tomorrow, and boom, flight operating normally... sods law

cue frantic rush, (mainly to find my trousers which seem to have disappeared) with the theme to benny hill as an accompanying sound track...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Latest update from BA
Looks positive in terms of them flying the rest of the expected schedule today, although seems there are some sizeable delays.
Key message
Drone sightings at London Gatwick had resulted in the closure of the airport yesterday
Reactive statement to be used if customers have a concern around safety
“We wouldn’t ever put safety at risk. Gatwick Airport have been working closely with the police and other relevant authorities to make sure airlines are safe to begin flying again.”
Latest update
LGW outlook is positive and reasonably stable
Flow rate is now at 24 per hour so we will now be able to deliver current published programme without further intervention.
Slot delays currently around 50 minutes
BA2938 LGW-EDI 10:00 was cancelled due to lack of available aircraft.
BA2769 JER-LGW is delayed due to technical issue
Guidelines
There is unlikely to be any further guidelines issued for customers to book away if their flight is still operating
The Westjet option is available for customers on cancelled flights. They operate to/from the Caribbean
BA is proactively seeking agreement with other carriers so we can get customers to their destination before Christmas

Last edited by JimEddie; Dec 21, 2018 at 5:07 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Originally Posted by spellinn

Circles in the sky
Not sure it is drone related.....just in to LHR with 4 laps in the hold due to high winds increasing spacing. After landing the Flight Crew announced that headwind was 80mph at 4000 ft!

Bumpy ride but v smooth touchdown. A good end to the year (especially as I was supposed to fly back yesterday to LGW)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- The other 2 Santa Lapland trips to RVI are running later today
Santa Lapland trips to Rostov na Donu? Did you mean RVN?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:39 am

Good to see the government saying they are going to "speak to" insurers.

In other words they will be told to pay up or they might get payback in other ways.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:23 am

What are the airline's responsibilities upon late arrival? A friend is travelling to LGW on Norwegian (D8) and is currently over 30 hours late. The flight risks arriving at approximately the same time as the last train to Portsmouth leaves Gatwick and so there's a big risk that my friend will miss that train.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your friend has presumably either taken out travel insurance to cover the risk or has elected to bear the risk himself. You may be reasonably assured that DY, which struggles to barely meet what is required by its duty of care obligations under EC 261/2004 will not do much, if anything to assist outside of the Regulation's requirements.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Your friend has presumably either taken out travel insurance to cover the risk or has elected to bear the risk himself. You may be reasonably assured that DY, which struggles to barely meet what is required by its duty of care obligations under EC 261/2004 will not do much, if anything to assist outside of the Regulation's requirements.
But what about art. 9 of regulation 261/2004? It doesn't say whether the right to meals, hotel rooms and phone calls ends upon arrival, if the need for those things still remain due to no more train services from the airport.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Some person
But what about art. 9 of regulation 261/2004? It doesn't say whether the right to meals, hotel rooms and phone calls ends upon arrival, if the need for those things still remain due to no more train services from the airport.
I think it does: my read of Article 6 ‘delays’ specifies that the duty of care applies to departures, which I interpret as ‘not arrivals’.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Some person
What are the airline's responsibilities upon late arrival? A friend is travelling to LGW on Norwegian (D8) and is currently over 30 hours late. The flight risks arriving at approximately the same time as the last train to Portsmouth leaves Gatwick and so there's a big risk that my friend will miss that train.
Try the National Express coach to Portsmouth. They usually run at various intervals through the night.

EDIT
From LGW South Terminal to Portsmouth, The Hard: 2115, 2355 and then 0545 tomorrow

Last edited by krispy84; Dec 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Flights seem to be holding again
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Flights seem to be holding again
Looks like the royal air Maroc from Casa was the last to attempt a landing and went around.

EZY from Montpellier has already given up and is diverting.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
From Eurocontrol: Closed until 9pm due to drones (again)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.