Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sealink
EC261 does not apply as this is officially classed as an extraordinary circumstance.
How many days does it have to continue to make the term "extraordinary" inoperative?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
EC261 does not apply as this is officially classed as an extraordinary circumstance.
The duty of care provisions under EC261 do still apply.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:18 pm

Thanks for the advice on this thread. I've rebooked my LGW-EDI tomorrow to LCY-EDI.

One question that I'll ask here rather than add to the already over-subscribed phone lines. I had a single hold bag booked on my LGW flight which doesn't appear to have transferred over to the LCY one. What's the recommendation - wait til I get to LCY tomorrow and ask them to sort it or call BA in the morning?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Interested to hear if BA's investment in IT / Fly / reaccom modules etc is helping here?

i.e Are people being proactively rebooked on services via LHR / LCY where possible, and then able to logon and choose alternative dates / times or request a refund, without having to call up?

My guess is everything still relies on the call centre or reaching the front of the queue at the airport!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Applespider
One question that I'll ask here rather than add to the already over-subscribed phone lines. I had a single hold bag booked on my LGW flight which doesn't appear to have transferred over to the LCY one. What's the recommendation - wait til I get to LCY tomorrow and ask them to sort it or call BA in the morning?
My personal view would be not to call, but to take to check-in whatever documentation you have about the included checked bag and deal with it there. If that doesn't work (unlikely I would have thought) then pay up again and then send the bill to BA for them to remedy. There are reports of this being quickly resolved when that happens but I hope it won't come to that. There are other approaches but this seems the least stressful.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:25 pm

You are mistaken, I'm afraid.

Only Article 7 is covered by exceptional circumstances. All other provisions apply regardless.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:25 pm

I know this isn't a BA related post, but it's very much a Gatwick clusterf*ck related post... I'm booked on EZY8503 LGW-KEF landing at 1130. I then have a separately booked flight WW121 KEF-DTW that takes off at 1520.
Now, clearly the easyjet flight is totally fubared. I have no idea what my options are at this point though. There isn't another flight that goes from London to KEF in time, and booking a last min flight from London to Detroit is going to cost £1200 which I don't really have to spare. Does anyone have any ideas or advice?! I have some travel insurance through bank accounts, credit cards etc but most of them aren't very helpful about this situation...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Not sure if a new thread needs to be started re the cause of the situation to keep this thread clutter free for irrops but Sky News reporting that Gatwick Airport will be closed for the foreseeable future and people shouldn’t come to the airport until further notice. This understandably is raising lots of eyebrows on Twitter that the drone is not the underlying problem.

My my only criticism of BA here and it’s a fluid situation though I’m not affected it’s like the SSH cancellations 3 years ago. Policy states travel only today and tomorrow can be rebooked. Given it’s Christmas why can’t they extend that for a few days to take the pressure off and ensure that people travelling on Saturday, Sunday and Monday have some chance of alternative arrangbeforw it’s too late.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by alewis2005
I know this isn't a BA related post, but it's very much a Gatwick clusterf*ck related post... I'm booked on EZY8503 LGW-KEF landing at 1130. I then have a separately booked flight WW121 KEF-DTW that takes off at 1520.
Now, clearly the easyjet flight is totally fubared. I have no idea what my options are at this point though. There isn't another flight that goes from London to KEF in time, and booking a last min flight from London to Detroit is going to cost £1200 which I don't really have to spare. Does anyone have any ideas or advice?! I have some travel insurance through bank accounts, credit cards etc but most of them aren't very helpful about this situation...
​​​​​​​This is unfortunately the danger of a self-connect. Easyjet may have some duty to get you to KEF, but you'll either have to cross your fingers for someone very nice and accomodating at WOW (not too likely), or you'll have to pay for a KEF-DTW yourself.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:36 pm

Has anyone flying with Iberia tomorrow managed to change their flights? I've called Customer Services and they won't let me until the flight is actually cancelled.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA updates for Friday

I've done various queries in BA.com and as far as I can see they are currently working on the basis of running a full service tomorrow - that's of course predicated on Gatwick Airport allowing movements. There are a few exceptions in the plans
- The three charter services for Lapland are the only 3 services from Thursday to be carried over. All other services are deemed cancelled. So these are the two flights to Rovaneimi and one to Kittila.
- The first flight out tomorrow is the Alicante service at 06:15 and the last one is the Glasgow service at 19:35 (rather an early last service I would have thought)
- At the moment only 1 service has a significant delay, the JFK service scheduled for 16:55 and now timed for 19:09. There was a delay showing on Orlando too but that seems now to be on time.
- As noted upthread, there are some inbound cancellations from longhaul services, these being flights returning from the Americas but which didn't operate on Thursday.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:39 pm

Has anybody had success rebooking with BA onto Aer Lingus? - Looks like they have seats available but call center will not allow us to rebook onto them. On hold with the US call center now while they look at alternatives
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by alewis2005
Can you somehow get to DUB for 10:45 tomorrow? There is a Wow flight going to KEF for £100, leaving 10:45, ETA 13:35
jerry a. laska and shefgab like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The duty of care provisions under EC261 do still apply.
Pretty sure most people think of the £££ rather than the refreshment voucher.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Can you somehow get to DUB for 10:45 tomorrow? There is a Wow flight going to KEF for £100, leaving 10:45, ETA 13:35
Ooh this option is only £320 STN-DUB-KEF. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.