Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:26 am

Does anyone know if / when the BA guidance to its rebooking staff will / might change?

I am booked on about the first flight from Gatwick tomorrow morning (to FLL) and am not feeling confident!

I just spoke to the rebooking staff on the phone and they told me they couldn't do anything until my flight had actually been delayed or cancelled.

Finally, if I were to book an alternative flight from Manchester on Sunday for c.£600 would I have any hope of reclaiming that from BA if the FLL flight is ultimately cancelled?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by noFODplease
Passengers on the LGW - DOH flight have just been told they are taking off shortly?
Yes, half the lounge just watched one plane go, and a second one has just rolled down the runway as I type. Short queue behind, but it's too dark to work out aircraft.

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Easyjet flight just taking off

Programs: BA Silver
Runway open.

EZY to BCN now departed and a Norwegian off next.
wrp96 and flapland like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
Apart from the announcement on Gatwick website and Twitter about 15 mis before you posted
which is helpful how exactly to the vast amounts of travellers/elderly etc who don’t spend their time or have no ability to monitor these things?

my point is we’re in the airport, making an actual announcement that everyone here can hear and understand would be quite handy

EasyJet for Barcelona just taken off with Norwegian for Boston about to follow according to Flightradar.

Basi1 beat me to it.. :-)

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Boarding announcement just made for the Male flight

Programs: BA Blue :(
Flight Radar 24 show an Aurigny Air Services flight has just taken off. Aslo Easyjet to Barcelona just taken off to. Norwegian to Boston lining up at runway.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/*A Gold
Just seen on BBC News that they saw another drone so flights are currently halted?

I do, however, wonder why they were unable to take the drone(s) out. Being trained on a firearms team myself I can see the reluctance to shoot at the thing via snipers or some such - too much can go wrong. A targeted EMP blast (quite sure "they" can produce this) might also create too much collateral damage. But why can't e.g. police just fly their own drone (or a borrowed one if need be) into the offending vehicle? Surely enough, damage can be done for the thing to come down over safe enough areas?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by noFODplease
Passengers on the LGW - DOH flight have just been told they are taking off shortly?
That would be QR 328, scheduled to depart 14:05?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by aceman

which is helpful how exactly to the vast amounts of travellers/elderly etc who don’t spend their time or have no ability to monitor these things?

my point is we’re in the airport, making an actual announcement that everyone here can hear and understand would be quite handy
As you can clearly see it is a highly fluid situation, and most travellers (including yourself, clearly) have access to the internet. So the quickest way of getting the message out to everyone is on website and Twitter.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC
And breath out...for now
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Appreciate it may change but any of the staffers able to tell me which aircraft is due to operate BA2776 to JER please?

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
QR 331 seems to be in the queue for LHR now.
QR 331 left the LHR queue and might try LGW.

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Was just told that all mobile networks went down for a few minutes prior to takeoffs recommencing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.