Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by simons1
Assuming they are charged? And found guilty? And they have a house to lose?
Indeed.
Current suspect have been named in the papers so it seems there is no legal injunction barring the press.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)

There are considerable defamation risks if identified and subsequently released
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:40 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by BERbound
Pair allegedly involved named and shamed in the tabloids on a Google news search. Innocent or guilty, they will be subject to a witch hunt. It will be interesting to see what evidence the authorities have?
The Facebook page of the arrested male confirms his interest in drones.
86BA7 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
How long will it take to get flights back to normal ?
they must have to reposition a lot and aircraft that landed somewhere else ,
Especially for the low cost airlines. In 2009, I had a ticket from Gatwick to Morocco, and it was cancelled due to snow (as were all flights after 3PM that day). Obviously you take your risks when you book the flight, but for some of the airlines it might take weeks to get back in place.

For me, I had a flight out that was cancelled, of which their were only 3 flights a week. Therefore, my rebook was 2 weeks away. I didn't need to go (as it was a holiday), so simply took the money back. But for those looking to get to family, it would obviously been more stressful - https://gregwtravels.travellerspoint.com/308/

obviously don't mean it'll take weeks to get aircraft repositioned, but the impact on passengers will last for weeks.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: BD, USAir, BA, Iberia, Hilton, IHG
Compensation advice

Sorry for the late questions. It's been pretty mental. I was originally supposed to fly LGW-SVQ on Thursday on an Iberia marketed flight but operated by BA (Club Europe). The flight was cancelled and I was rebooked for LGW-MAD-SVQ for Sunday morning on Iberia Express (economy). I live in rural North Lincolnshire and did not drive down (I had to stop over on Wednesday just to make the flight). Returning back home was out of the question so I stayed over in London. BA were not very helpful and I had to rebooked by ringing Iberia but no mention of duty of care compensation was made. Later on, I managed to get hold of BA via twitter as the phone lines were still a no no. They told me that if I needed a hotel they would cover it up to £200. Is it reasonable to assume that I can claim for the three nights I had to spend in London? I have to point out that I have not taken the Mickey, the three nights stay was under £170. Surely they did not expect me to stay one night and then having to pay for train and taxi back home there and back?

Also, was I supposed to receive some sort of refund for being downgraded to Economy? I read somewhere something about involuntary downgrade amounting to a 50% refund.

Apologies for sounding so clueless
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by asterion
Sorry for the late questions. It's been pretty mental.
Ouch!

Yes, as the operating airline BA is responsible for 3 nights hotel plus your meals and public transport from the airport to the hotel. So collect your receipts and submit online.

Where you live is not relevant, from the point your flight was cancelled until the re-booked flight BA is responsible for your care.

On a point of technicality (whilst not relevant here) the £200 a night is guidance only....if the only hotel rooms available in mass IRROPS are £300 then they are responsible for that. Just take some screen shots as evidence.

Of course BA are also responsible for your downgrade too. I believe it's 75% of the fare for that leg. Plus if Iberia Express try to charge you for baggage you would have had for free on CE then claim that too.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by asterion
Also, was I supposed to receive some sort of refund for being downgraded to Economy? I read somewhere something about involuntary downgrade amounting to a 50% refund.
simons1 is right that you are fully entitled to the accommodation reclaimed, after all BA could have rerouted you via LHR if they wanted you through more quickly, and actually I doubt it will be questioned. I would send that in ASAP, along with charges for meals and communications (wifi) plus any additional travel you did such as between the hotel and airport. You will need receipts, and you can use
BA.com/delays. There is a detailed thread on EC261 in the Dashboard.

The downgrade is actually 50% due to the distance and being intra EU. However taxes - which are a big aspect of the ticket cost - can be excluded based on the actual taxes charged, and on that route the APD component can only be charged at the lower rate compared to CE. So it's a more complex reimbursement calculation, spelled out in the Dashboard. I would do your own calculation and then compare with what you get back. Now I can tell you now that this is going to get messy due to the IB ticket and the fact that IB tend only to act on National Enforcement Body instructions. BA is formally responsible for your downgrade as the operating airline from the source of the problem, however they will send the problem to Iberia since they did the ticket.

Hence if I were you:
- firstly do the calculation as mentioned in the main EC261 thread - and decide if the amount is worth the hassle since.....
- make a separate downgrade claim (don't mix it in with the hotel etc)
- spell out your calculations there and make a claim for a specific amount and make it clear you are claiming under EC261 to the Operating Airline, and that you are NOT claiming for an Involuntary Refund from the Marketing Airline.
- Give them a month to refer it to Iberia
- Then pursue BA, not IB, for the downgrade based on your calculation, using CEDR at 8 weeks after the claim.
You don't want to be drawn into discussions with Iberia unless you are prepared to take them to court, and even then Iberia could correctly say "we weren't the operating airline".
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:04 am

Thanks to all who advised me on my Emirates flight.

I'm at Gatwick North this morning and everything is very normal and organised.

Well done to all involved in restoring normalcy!
simons1 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
So now the suspects are still under arrest for more than 24 hours does this mean they are being questioned under the terrorism act?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
The Facebook page of the arrested male confirms his interest in drones.
Which knowing the way our dibble work, is why he's been arrested. Most police work these days seems to be arresting people for "hate crimes" on social media.
cruisr and omk298 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Which knowing the way our dibble work, is why he's been arrested. Most police work these days seems to be arresting people for "hate crimes" on social media.
I thought he was the one found dismantling and packing up a large drone onto the back of his bicycle in suburban Crawley...
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
I thought he was the one found dismantling and packing up a large drone onto the back of his bicycle in suburban Crawley...
I've not seen that report. However, if he's a drone enthusiast, why shouldn't he be packing up a large drone? As long as he's not within 1km of the airport boundary, he's not breaking any laws. Crawley would appear to be around 5km from Gatwick.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: BD, USAir, BA, Iberia, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
simons1 is right that you are fully entitled to the accommodation reclaimed, after all BA could have rerouted you via LHR if they wanted you through more quickly, and actually I doubt it will be questioned. I would send that in ASAP, along with charges for meals and communications (wifi) plus any additional travel you did such as between the hotel and airport. You will need receipts, and you can use
BA.com/delays. There is a detailed thread on EC261 in the Dashboard.

The downgrade is actually 50% due to the distance and being intra EU. However taxes - which are a big aspect of the ticket cost - can be excluded based on the actual taxes charged, and on that route the APD component can only be charged at the lower rate compared to CE. So it's a more complex reimbursement calculation, spelled out in the Dashboard. I would do your own calculation and then compare with what you get back. Now I can tell you now that this is going to get messy due to the IB ticket and the fact that IB tend only to act on National Enforcement Body instructions. BA is formally responsible for your downgrade as the operating airline from the source of the problem, however they will send the problem to Iberia since they did the ticket.

Hence if I were you:
- firstly do the calculation as mentioned in the main EC261 thread - and decide if the amount is worth the hassle since.....
- make a separate downgrade claim (don't mix it in with the hotel etc)
- spell out your calculations there and make a claim for a specific amount and make it clear you are claiming under EC261 to the Operating Airline, and that you are NOT claiming for an Involuntary Refund from the Marketing Airline.
- Give them a month to refer it to Iberia
- Then pursue BA, not IB, for the downgrade based on your calculation, using CEDR at 8 weeks after the claim.
You don't want to be drawn into discussions with Iberia unless you are prepared to take them to court, and even then Iberia could correctly say "we weren't the operating airline".
Thank you guys. Much appreciated. Hope you all have a good Xmas
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Pair released without charges...
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Pair released without charges...
Well done lads... Now get back on Facebook to find some more suspects!!

cruisr, T8191, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.