Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:22 am

I wonder what comeback there will be on the media (if any).

The people released seem to be named in most Sundays with comments like "Are these the morons who ruined Christmas".
mike&co likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by simons1
I wonder what comeback there will be on the media (if any).

The people released seem to be named in most Sundays with comments like "Are these the morons who ruined Christmas".
Good point, some of the headlines imo were shocking. Furthermore, you have to laugh at the press release from the Det Supt in charge of the enquiry (Sky news). “It is important to remember that when people are arrested in an effort to make further enquiries it does not mean that they are guilty of an offence and Sussex police would not seek to make their identity public.” Really ?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Does HMP offer Suites, or just standard rooms?

M
Not sure. But I believe every room include breakfast
cruisr and msm2000uk like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Akoz
Not sure. But I believe every room include breakfast
Is that for everyone or only with a certain status level?
cruisr likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
BUT I'M A DIAMOND MEMBER! Why should I pay a $5 supplement for hot buffet items?
cruisr likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Believe you have to have done 50 nights to get free breakfast.
cruisr likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:36 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
[QUOTE=DYKWIA;30566714]I've not seen that report. However, if he's a drone enthusiast, why shouldn't he be packing up a large drone? As long as he's not within 1km of the airport boundary, he's not breaking any laws. Crawley would appear to be around 5km from Gatwick

You would have to be pretty stupid or brave to have taken a drone anywhere near Gatwick whilst this was going on. I thinks it pretty obvious that the police would detain anyone found in possession as they were under immense pressure to find the culprit
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
You would have to be pretty stupid or brave to have taken a drone anywhere near Gatwick whilst this was going on. I thinks it pretty obvious that the police would detain anyone found in possession as they were under immense pressure to find the culprit
How do you know he was doing it when it was going on? Having read a bit more, it would appear he was spotted the day the drones started (ie., well before Gatwick was closed) - somebody reported seeing him with a drone. However, I guess this could have been mis-reported.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Indeed, but I have not seen anything that says the arrested man was the cyclist seen packing a drone away. This is a very good example of why someone who has been arrested should not be named. The gutter press deserve to take a beating over this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DaveS
This is a very good example of why someone who has been arrested should not be named. The gutter press deserve to take a beating over this.
I don't think the tabloid press were the main offenders here, to be honest. It does, in my view, explain why actually Restrictions on Reporting are sensible and balanced, if somewhat boring for the Social Media Age.

In English and Welsh law there is Strict Liability on this one - no-one in any social media outlet or forum is exempt from it just because they don't know the law. Once proceedings are active - and an arrest is an example of proceedings becoming active - then nothing can be said that could prejudice a fair trial. That allows the accurate reporting of names, ages, addresses, professions of any adult arrested, the charges if any, and the judges, courts, legal officers directly involved. That's in the interest of Open Justice. Very little else can be reported until Reporting Restrictions are lifted by a court. We really better get back to that principle if we want a good quality judicial system for the reasons this case has made very clear. If those arrested are (very) rich then they have recourse to the wide ranging laws on defamation/libel/slander if appropriate, but for anyone else they are just hung out to dry.

There is some leeway on general discussion, so it's OK to talk about whether the current law framework on drones is strict enough for example, so long as any reference to someone arrested is incidental.
cruisr, Stez, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:31 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
[left]
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

How do you know he was doing it when it was going on? Having read a bit more, it would appear he was spotted the day the drones started (ie., well before Gatwick was closed) - somebody reported seeing him with a drone. However, I guess this could have been mis-reported.

I never said that the arrested person was the reported drone man. It was merely an observation that knowing what was going on at Gatwick it would be common sense not to take out a drone
stuart101 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, CrabAir Blue
Det Ch Supt Jason Tingley said it was "a working assumption" the device could be connected to their investigation, but officers were keeping "an open mind"."We are also going through many reports of sightings of drone activity over the last few days," he said."We are meticulously going through that information to see if that produces any other further lines of inquiry, and also where we may focus our efforts in terms of house-to-house inquiries, CCTV footage, and any other information that will help us work through this investigation."He added there was "always a possibility that there may not have been any genuine drone activity in the first place"

Oh dear. This could get embarrassing for a few people....

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46665615

Last edited by airmanofthequeen; Dec 23, 2018 at 10:03 am Reason: add source
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by airmanofthequeen
Det Ch Supt Jason Tingley said it was "a working assumption" the device could be connected to their investigation, but officers were keeping "an open mind"."We are also going through many reports of sightings of drone activity over the last few days," he said."We are meticulously going through that information to see if that produces any other further lines of inquiry, and also where we may focus our efforts in terms of house-to-house inquiries, CCTV footage, and any other information that will help us work through this investigation."He added there was "always a possibility that there may not have been any genuine drone activity in the first place"

If this turns out to be the case will the CAA’s view on EU261 extraordinary circumstances change?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
He added there was "always a possibility that there may not have been any genuine drone activity in the first place"
Jaw meet floor.
cruisr and Cymro like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: M&S Elite+

Oh dear. Sounds like the [mod: expletive redacted] fairy is taking a break from Westminster.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Dec 23, 2018 at 10:24 am Reason: Remove hidden expletive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.