Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:47 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
LGW closed until 19:00

M
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
The trade policy has just changed to include bookings for tomorrow and now a different agent told me I have to get the ticket changed at the ticket agency. This is BA at their worst again. Obviously they can't do anything about the drones, but they can put policies in place to help rather than hinder their customers.
Well, that is the travel agent's job, they are there to help you in these situations and should make it easier, not more difficult (unless we're talking about online travel agencies, and you know how that goes). Still if you are within 24 hours of travel my understanding is that the airline can take over a booking, though I'm slightly unclear when you would be travelling.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
According to FR24 BY163 (Tui Fly) from LGK Langkawi which isnt due in until 23.10 tonight is already diverted to BOJ (Burgas Bulgaria)
If thats accurate then it seems they arent planning on this being resolved anytime soon.
Flights cancelled all the way up until curfew now as well and into tomorrow already (sorry if already mentioned)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Not that this bears giving too much thought to but given that this now seems to be a sustain disruption attack it makes me wonder why LGW has been targeted rather than LHR? Does LHR have better facilities for countering this?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
Not that this bears giving too much thought to but given that this now seems to be a sustain disruption attack it makes me wonder why LGW has been targeted rather than LHR? Does LHR have better facilities for countering this?
Trial run. Watch what happens next.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
it wouldn’t surprise me if there is a demand/threat of further action at the end of this event.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:04 am

Help getting to Florida!

I was booked on the Tampa flight today (5 of us travelling, 4 on BA Miles and 1 cash in 3 bookings just to complicate matters!). BA have only offered us a flight via Miami to Tampa (from LHR) on 23rd (3 days time).

Looks like there is availability on Aer Lingus to Miami tomorrow (via DUB) but agent refuses to book us on that flight.

Anybody have any ideas or guidance? - We are happy to terminate anywhere in Florida and drive the rest of the way, just dont want to wait until 23rd.

Last edited by travellingowl; Dec 20, 2018 at 8:05 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:06 am

Just announced that LGW wont resume flights before 19:00 today....
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well, that is the travel agent's job, they are there to help you in these situations and should make it easier, not more difficult (unless we're talking about online travel agencies, and you know how that goes). Still if you are within 24 hours of travel my understanding is that the airline can take over a booking, though I'm slightly unclear when you would be travelling.
Well, it's times like this where the FT'er tricks sometimes bite you in the rear. I used a US based TA for this due to POS availability, so I will either need to get them involved or wait until tomorrow. My flight SVQ-LGW is set for tomorrow evening and perhaps still running normally, although ba.com is indeed already showing a delay but with no new time available.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Suspect it is more likely because LGW is in a more isolated & rural location with plenty of fields and countryside around with hiding places for the perpetrators.

Whereas LHR is basically hemmed in by urban development and busy roads.
stewaran likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
What a nightmare. Good luck to everyone with travel plans and as ever, great to see such help from people here.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by travellingowl
Anybody have any ideas or guidance? - We are happy to terminate anywhere in Florida and drive the rest of the way, just dont want to wait until 23rd.
Because it's a large party then I can see the issue. But did you try routing via New York instead? Strictly speaking you are only allowed one involuntary change but if you go for 23 December and then something opens up (they may change aircraft type for example) then you can ask them to give you an earlier flight.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:14 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Could the operator be inside the airport?

M
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Because it's a large party then I can see the issue. But did you try routing via New York instead? Strictly speaking you are only allowed one involuntary change but if you go for 23 December and then something opens up (they may change aircraft type for example) then you can ask them to give you an earlier flight.
My wife is just on the phone with them now.
Agent just trying that now (NYC) but doesnt look like they have availability.

Have also suggested putting us into ATL and we can drive but thats not available either
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:16 am

sussex police twitter a few hours ago: It is believed that the #Gatwick devices used are of an industrial specification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.