Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I think this will, in the longer term, end up like the volcano crisis in 2010. At the time of the eruption of Eyjafjallajökull the aviation regulators (and aircraft makers and engine makers) had no idea how to handle volcanic ash on a wide scale, their only plan was to avoid it entirely.

Today, there is no compromise position for drones, only avoiding them entirely. If drones flying near airports becomes more common, there will have to be a more carefully-analysed compromise situation balancing risks like there now is for volcanic ash.

Unfortunately this does nothing to help the people affected now, they're going to suffer all the consequences of a maximum-risk-avoidance scenario.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Hezu
SEN runway 05/23 is 1,856 meters long, so it is bit short for many airplane types, especially those used on long haul routes, which are the most likely to be diverted. Also it might be easier to divert to an airport where the airline already has some activity as then it doesn't require too much hassle to arrange ground handling etc.
Thank you!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
Seems like a Ryanair flight just departed Dublin for LGW. Surely they must be expecting to be able to land soon?
it’s all a bit strange because DI7096 is actively diverting TO Dublin as we speak

i think all bets are off at this stage!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by flatlander
I think this will, in the longer term, end up like the volcano crisis in 2010. At the time of the eruption of Eyjafjallajökull the aviation regulators (and aircraft makers and engine makers) had no idea how to handle volcanic ash on a wide scale, their only plan was to avoid it entirely.

Today, there is no compromise position for drones, only avoiding them entirely. If drones flying near airports becomes more common, there will have to be a more carefully-analysed compromise situation balancing risks like there now is for volcanic ash.

Unfortunately this does nothing to help the people affected now, they're going to suffer all the consequences of a maximum-risk-avoidance scenario.
The trouble with that is that while ash is largely predictable - in composition and size, a drone could be quite large and contain more unforgiving parts, furthermore used in this sort of way could be carrying something more sinister.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:52 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
LNER are offering free train travel today to anyone who was due to fly and their flights been cancelled between LGW & EDI/ABZ/INV on production of a flight ticket at Kings Cross.

They will also transport GLA passengers.

Last edited by McG; Dec 20, 2018 at 4:55 am Reason: Additional info.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Seems like a Ryanair flight just departed Dublin for LGW. Surely they must be expecting to be able to land soon?
Or with bases at the likes of STN, they have decided that its not too much of an issue to divert on route.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Ryanair taking a gamble, I’d hazard a guess that this will divert or return. From watching an interview on BBC from clearly frustrated Police Superintendent this seems to be a game of cat and mouse as when they get close to re-opening the drone appears over the airport.

Just been questions in the House of Lords regarding this as well.

Feel for all all those whose plans and Christmasses are disrupted.

edited to say airport closed until at least 1600 today.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:53 am

Copied from another website where this is being discussed. Source unknown.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:55 am

Closed until 16:00 UK time, according to BBC News
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by grantsteve

Copied from another website where this is being discussed. Source unknown.
what is this purported to represent?
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Why aren't drones shot down when posing a threat to civil and military aircrafts. Just needs another drone to crash into them no?

Programs: BAEC Gold
Looks like BA have started looking at some of the flights with rolling delays, including some of the longhauls, which are now showing as cancelled:

Longhaul
BA2037 MCO
BA2167 TPA
BA2233 BDA
BA2273 JFK

Other
BA2652 SZG
BA2576 TRN
BA2730 TFA
BA2732 ACE
BA2688 GOA
BA2780 FNC
BA2758 AMS
BA2692 FAO
BA2688 MLA
BA2564 ALG
BA2540 FCO

Need some advice. I have a flight leaving Gatwick (LGW - DXB) on Sunday morning with Emirates. If I purchase another ticket (say a one-way ticket) from Heathrow instead (LHR - DXB) will I be able to use the return portion of my Emirates ticket (departing DXB)? Does this matter if I purchase my new one-way ticket from Emirates vs BA. Does this have to be negotiated with Emirates or can I insist they do not cancel me my return portion of my Emirates ticket? Thank you for your advice.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Closed until 16:00 UK time, according to BBC News
That aligns with the latest update from Eurocontrol
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze Executive Club Member
Oh boy, just seen this. Due to fly back from JFK to LHR, then onwards home in time for Xmas on Sunday. Hopefully they can find these idiots by then. Worryingly it sounds coordinated and intentional.

Teminds me of my flight into LGW back in September where I spotted a drone 10 miles out on approach West to East. Reported it to the captain and didn’t hear anything further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.