Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:10 am

EGKK( Gatwick)
Airfield unavailable due to drones in the area till 1800 UTC.
High delays.

Diversion Capabilities Updates:
Please copy and paste the following link:
https://ext.eurocontrol.int/airport_corner_public/dc_requests/

EGGW (Luton)
Arrival regulation due to Aerodrome capacity
Moderate delays.

Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
As I mentioned earlier, why can't the airport radars be used to track the position, velocity and direction of the drone(s)? With the sky clear from all other aircraft apart from 1-2 authorised helicopters surely anything else in the sky is the drone? See where it takes off from and try and swoop on the perps as someone will be preparing it / changing batteries etc?

Anyone with knowledge of airport radars know? Didn't get an answer last time so presumably no one does...
Most air traffic radar these days is "secondary" which means electronics on the aircraft pick up the radar signal and send back a pulse of information. It relies on the co-operation of the aircraft to figure out where it is. There is still 'primary' radar where the electronic signal is bounced off the structure of the aircraft, but they are not designed to look at drones which are tiny compared to airliners. Gatwick has a 10cm primary radar (well I think it has.. did last time I looked anyhow) but how it works compared to target size, the amount of reflected radar energy and so on is really really complicated, in a nutshell it won't see much below the size of a truck.

Military radar is designed to find un-cooperative targets, but drones are still tiny and really hard to find even with new radars. In addition we (the UK) have ignored our air defence capability for a very long time as we've been in a benign international environment so we don't have much in the way of mobile radar systems. We have cutting edge stuff on ships... but Gatwick is a long way from the coast, we have very few ships and ships are slow.

Of course the real issue is even if you do install a radar capable of spotting a Drone measuring under a meter across... how do you stop it from alerting every time a pigeon wanders past.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:11 am

I would be amazed if any ops happen today. As for the LH LGW programme, recovery of aircraft will be the first priority.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Sigwx
One of our 747s came within 50ft and a 787 300ft of hitting one of these ....... devices over London during the summer. Having seen the AeroMexico incident and research on the effects to helicopters and the windscreens on commercial aircraft I would far rather not take a chance. The problem is one of closing speed. By the time you tend to see these things it is too late. Admittedly if they are lit up like a Christmas tree at night it could be a little easier but even still. I’d imagine this was a ‘plane stupid’ or other tree hugger stunt, but who knows right now. Sadly there is no licensing scheme mandated for having these stupid things.
Having just retired from a large, worldwide helicopter operator serving the oil & gas industry (which also performs SAR work in the UK), this continues to be a very worrisome possibility in the rotorcraft industry, especially should a drone impact the windscreen.

We also worry about bird strikes as well. Several years ago a competitor's helicopter operating in Louisiana had a red tail hawk strike the windscreen of one of their Sikorsky S-76 helicopters while the aircraft was in flight. The hawk came through the windscreen and caused the helicopter to crash. No one survived the impact. A red tail hawk is similar in size and weight to many of the smaller drones.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 20, 2018 at 7:25 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:13 am

Of course the real issue is even if you do install a radar capable of spotting a Drone measuring under a meter across... how do you stop it from alerting every time a pigeon wanders past.
clutter suppression. FOD radars exist at several airfields now including LHR I believe
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:18 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
My SVQ-LGW is already showing as "Delayed - to be confirmed" but BA stubbornly will not let me rebook. "Sorry sir, policy, etc." Now, I understand that rules are rules and until the flight is cancelled they will not do anything.
Having been at LGW this morning, and now waiting to take off at LHR, I'm not sure the message about being able to reticket on still scheduled flights is getting through to those on the ground. I had to show the lounge ticketing agent the advice on the BA Trade website before he'd do anything, so it might be worth you pulling that up.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by high.and.above
I wonder if they thought of rubber bullets, those must be no harm to the airplanes. Right?
wrong. It is only a few mm of aluminium we are talking about. A rubber bullet would leave quite a dent. And as for engine ingestion......well lets not think too hard about it.
high.and.above likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by lfc84
perhaps someone wants to demonstrate what a no deal / no fly brexit looks like
I guess that's not an implausible motive, actually. Although for full effect, they'd have needed to target all major airports at once!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by jowlymonster
I guess that's not an implausible motive, actually. Although for full effect, they'd have needed to target all major airports at once!
Assuming that it's Plane Stupid or a similar group I'm surprised that they didn't target one or more other airports at the same time for maximum effect.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
My SVQ-LGW is already showing as "Delayed - to be confirmed" but BA stubbornly will not let me rebook. "Sorry sir, policy, etc." .
If it is today's fiight then the agent probably hasn't see update 3 which allows for rebooking (update 2 was shorthaul only). However update 5 has just been released which puts the matter beyond question. I'll post that separately. Hang up and call again.
woglet86 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
It's all rather odd. If you were out to make a political statement wouldn't you be taking credit for it on social media for as much press attention as you could muster?

At what point do the drone pilots get bored and go home? They seem to have the crew at LGW on the ropes

Flying out of LHR tomorrow so I'm watching this slightly uneasily, hope all those effected get sorted as quick as is possible
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Ironic that some of the adverts embedded in this thread are for drones.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
At what point do the drone pilots get bored and go home?
If they're making a political and/or environmental protest then I suspect they won't.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Customer Guidelines number 5 (always quote this since information is being revised very frequently at the moment).

Anyone going to or from LGW today or tomorrow (Friday 21 December) - if your flight is operating you can now rebook on to other dates up to and including 5 January. This applies to revenue, trade and redemption (Avios) tickets. Your start and end point must be the same, ditto for any stopovers over 24 hours, but that would still allow a swap between LHR / LCY / LGW and/or EWR/JFK for example.

If your flight is cancelled, you can have the above option, or a rebook at a later date, or a refund.

EDIT: They have turned on Involuntary Refunds in Pegasus, which may allow you to see the refund component on BA.com. Doesn't always work mind.
Stez and woglet86 like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 20, 2018 at 8:16 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Having been at LGW this morning, and now waiting to take off at LHR, I'm not sure the message about being able to reticket on still scheduled flights is getting through to those on the ground. I had to show the lounge ticketing agent the advice on the BA Trade website before he'd do anything, so it might be worth you pulling that up.
The trade policy has just changed to include bookings for tomorrow and now a different agent told me I have to get the ticket changed at the ticket agency. This is BA at their worst again. Obviously they can't do anything about the drones, but they can put policies in place to help rather than hinder their customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.