Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 London Summer DO - Friday 13 July 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoTiersForMe

Venue
Shepherd Hall
St Thomas’ Hospital
Westminster Bridge Road
London
SE1 7EH

Venue thanks to gav0106 and his team at St Thomas’ Hospital. For those of you who are new they are employed directly by the hospital and 100% of any profits we make from events and bar spend goes straight back to the Trust for projects involving patients and staff, so by supporting this event you will be giving back as well.

Google maps
PDF map
Virtual tour of Shepherd Hall

Nearby hotels include: Premier Inn County Hall and York Road, Park Plaza County Hall, Westminster, Riverbank, Hilton Bankside, Doubletree Westminster, Hampton Waterloo, and Marriott County Hall.

Food & Drink
There will be a sofa area and BBQ on the Terrace (as well as seating in the main room). details of food and drink to follow.

The hospital does take credit cards but not Amex due to the charges they impose.

All profits are re-invested into the Trust and the venue is being provided to us completely free of charge.

A trip review of the 2013 DO at the same venue: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1474200-ba-london-do-2013-a.html (though can't promise it'll be quite as extravagant)

Hotels
Current sales
Please highlight any sales which cover Friday night.

Attendees updated to include post 218
Confirmed - 63
aks120, amanx, Barnaby100+1, bigmarley4, Brainless69, Calchas, chris1979, Chris9642, cgtechuk, Cris L, Cymro, DeathSlam, doctoravios, dylanks, Fontana, Fitch, GadgetGal, hsmall, Johnny5a, KARFA, Keep it Riel, LavaJava+1, LYC8737, LondonAndy, Lord Jon, lost_in_translation, MarkedMan, megaloman, Mirp, MrMutton, nick.t.davies, nh1980, NoTiersForMe+1, NWIFlyer+1, onobond, Pandra+1, Physci+1, pjh981+1, PWOZUK, Raffles+1, robertf999, Scallywag72+1, squawk, statsman, S_W_S, s1362083, teledude, TomMM, TPRun+1, wanderingjock, WickedStepMother, Woodbinerich, YacozA

Possible - 13
AStarr, atcer28, Godot, Forever in Seattle, KeaneJohn, MikeP, ringingup+1, Skye1, slickvik, snuffi, visualAd+1
Print Wikipost

The 2018 London Summer DO - Friday 13 July 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:42 am

Ok, that's me confirmed. Looking forward to meeting everyone! Edited wiki to reflect this, and including Mike P as a possible (post #115 ). I think that's up to date?
megaloman likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
..... I am multi purposing this Do to be my own 'soft landing to Silver' party. The shame.
The shame indeed! If you don’t wear a name badge some people might talk to you before they realise you are a social pirhana!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother

The shame indeed! If you don’t wear a name badge some people might talk to you before they realise you are a social pirhana!
Pariah, maybe
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by hsmall
Pariah, maybe
You don’t say! (Why do you think I put a wink next to it?!)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Putting my name down - I had such a lovely time at the 2013 do (praying the weather stays like it's been recently) and looking forward to sipping some fizz with you all again
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: skymiles
a maybe

I'm a lurker on the site but will be in London that day so will try to pass by.
Calchas likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Well, with the anti-Trump protest march just across the river (which I'm sure will remain peaceful ) and now the Piccadilly Line drivers going out on strike, are we DOomed ?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Bah - a wedding up North requires my attendance so I shan't be able to make it.

Out of interest, where in St' Thomas is this terrace? I had no idea there was either a public bar or bookable function rooms there. Or is it something you can book if you work for the NHS?

My son was born there and we spent enough time there in the runup that I Iike to think if there was a bar somewhere around I might have found it.....I am genuinely baffled / curious.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
...and now the Piccadilly Line drivers going out on strike, are we DOomed ?
That’s awkward, even if you’re not going to either - both will increase the pressure on the other lines/modes of transport substantially...
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by Pascoe

Out of interest, where in St' Thomas is this terrace? I had no idea there was either a public bar or bookable function rooms there. Or is it something you can book if you work for the NHS?

My son was born there and we spent enough time there in the runup that I Iike to think if there was a bar somewhere around I might have found it.....I am genuinely baffled / curious.
Well firstly, I hope you were well looked after! The Marquee is at the base of North Wing, so underneath maternity. We do get odd looks pushing trolleys of fizz around the corridors. We do have staff bar, but no public one, but yes anyone can hire our venues and we have a licence!
Pascoe likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe

https://www.disabledgo.com/access-gu...all-restaurant
  • Shepherd Hall Restaurant is/are located on the ground floor of the South Wing.
  • To see the hospital map please click here (opens new tab).
  • Access to Shepherd Hall Restaurant is via the main entrance.
  • On entering the main entrance, turn right and proceed past the shops on the right. Take a left into the North Wing and continue past the North Wing lifts. Continue straight into the South Wing and down the corridor. The Shepherd Hall Restaurant is located on the right.
  • There is step free access to Shepherd Hall Restaurant.
  • Shepherd Hall Restaurant is approximately 207m from the main entrance.
  • There is a/are manual, heavy, double door(s) between the main entrance and the department/service.
  • Wayfinding signage is provided.
  • There is flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
  • There is flooring in corridors which includes patterns or colours which could be confusing or look like steps or holes to some people.
Pascoe likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Well, with the anti-Trump protest march just across the river (which I'm sure will remain peaceful ) and now the Piccadilly Line drivers going out on strike, are we DOomed ?
So who chose Friday the 13th?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by morges1
So who chose Friday the 13th?
We didn't choose Fri 13th... it chose us
MrMutton likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just to give everyone a heads up. Anyone using the Piccadilly Line between LHR & Central London can expect disruption between 11th & 14th.

Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by gav0106
Well firstly, I hope you were well looked after! The Marquee is at the base of North Wing, so underneath maternity. We do get odd looks pushing trolleys of fizz around the corridors. We do have staff bar, but no public one, but yes anyone can hire our venues and we have a licence!
Blimey - well I guess as they say, every day's a school day.

We were fantastically well looked after during what was at times a stressful and complex process (frankly who doesn't come back with a story like that from birth). But after the event I have to say, the ability to take such great pictures from the family room, with the houses of parliament in the background, as the first ones we sent to friends and family, was a real added bonus.

Last year we spent a lot of time looking for a riverside venue for my wife's 40th and thus I am really surprised this never came up.

Maybe for my, ahem, 'next major birthday' I might take a look.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.