Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 SJC Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

787 SJC Cancellations

I know there have been a number of cancellations on this route due to RR engine issues. Many of the cancellations appear to have been on Wednesdays (according to thebasource).

Is it known how BA determine whether to cancel? Is it down to how heavily loaded the flight is? If that is the case can someone tell me how busy BA279 is on Sat 28th April and BA278 on Wednesday 1st May? Trying to work out the likelihood of my flights being disrupted.

Thanks.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA279 28/4 - F3 J6 W6 Y9 - Busy but not full
BA278 1/5 - F2 J9 W9 Y9 - Not busy at all

I'm also on the 279 on Saturday but I'll be OK with a reroute to SFO if it is cancelled.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
BA279 28/4 - F3 J6 W6 Y9 - Busy but not full
BA278 1/5 - F2 J9 W9 Y9 - Not busy at all

I'm also on the 279 on Saturday but I'll be OK with a reroute to SFO if it is cancelled.
Thanks Steve. I'm in 1A on outbound (via GUF1), CW return. I guess if 279 outbound from LHR on Wednesday 1st is busy then they'll probably run the 278 return otherwise the plane will be out of position.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:38 pm

I'm going out on Tuesday 15th, and am a little concerned about the recent cancellations. Is there any way to look up the reason for a cancellation?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GrahamClarke
Thanks Steve. I'm in 1A on outbound (via GUF1), CW return. I guess if 279 outbound from LHR on Wednesday 1st is busy then they'll probably run the 278 return otherwise the plane will be out of position.
I'm subject to a client's travel policy so will not be in F or J unless an OpUp comes along . By the way, Tuesday is the 1st May and the outbound is similarly loaded F3 J9 W9 Y9.

Originally Posted by kittarbitrary
I'm going out on Tuesday 15th, and am a little concerned about the recent cancellations. Is there any way to look up the reason for a cancellation?
The most likely cause for 787 cancellations right now is the Rolls Royce engine problems which will be ongoing for some time to come. In the event of a cancellation, you might be able to reroute to SFO or connect via LAX so there are options, which no doubt is a factor when determining which flights to cancel.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Blue
I have a flight booked in September to SJC in First, is the situation likely to get better or worse by September? Everything I read says RR just don't have the parts supply to fix all the engines and it's going to take years to resolve.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
I'm similarly concerned about a 2-4-1 first redemption from SJC to LHR on 9 July 2018. I appreciate this is a long way off but I also agree with others that this engine problem looks pretty long term. As it happens I would be just as happy about an SFO A380 flight but there weren't the redemption spaces on those flights when I was booking. It would be good to have this sorted before we fly out (to LAS in mid June) but I fear things aren't going to be clear that far ahead.

I guess just have to sit tight and see what happens.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller
I'm similarly concerned about a 2-4-1 first redemption from SJC to LHR on 9 July 2018. I appreciate this is a long way off but I also agree with others that this engine problem looks pretty long term. As it happens I would be just as happy about an SFO A380 flight but there weren't the redemption spaces on those flights when I was booking. It would be good to have this sorted before we fly out (to LAS in mid June) but I fear things aren't going to be clear that far ahead.

If the flight does get cancelled which is a long time away, BA will re-route you to your final destination, if there is no avios availability they would use the lowest booking class - so nothing to worry about
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:21 am

Thanks Steve_ZA. I'm guessing it's the engines too but if it is why can't they schedule the cancellations in advance? I know they will reroute me, but it might not be the same day, I have people who rearrange their schedule to pick me up at the other end, my mum all excited making dinner etc., so some warning would just be the courteous thing for them to do.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by kittarbitrary
Thanks Steve_ZA. I'm guessing it's the engines too but if it is why can't they schedule the cancellations in advance? I know they will reroute me, but it might not be the same day, I have people who rearrange their schedule to pick me up at the other end, my mum all excited making dinner etc., so some warning would just be the courteous thing for them to do.
There are 2 BA engine less B787's at LHR now, and others with flight restrictions I dont know if BA is able to predict in advance which flights will operate. The rumour about 2 B747's returning from the desert is doing the rounds, so I guess this option has been looked at by someone.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:31 am

It's probably me not really understanding the problem. I assumed they had some schedule where they knew which plane was going to fly which routes for the next, I don't know, 10 days or something, but perhaps it's all more short term and haphazard than that.

Still, from a customer point of view being told the same day your flight is cancelled is so far from ideal, even if they will reroute you.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
+1

BA must know which planes are impacted and when as would be based on the plane’s respective service history- just like a car. The more advance notice the better, unless they can guarantee same class and same date of travel- which are the 2 biggest concerns of passengers.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by jrc999
+1

BA must know which planes are impacted and when as would be based on the plane’s respective service history- just like a car.
I don't think it is that simple from what I have understood - hopefully one of the resident experts can comment but from what I understand the aircraft are being grounded or not on the basis of inspection of the turbine blades (the problematic part) and that such inspections are happening much more frequently, possibly even after each return flight - but it's not as simple as "this turbine can do another X hundred hours just fine" or anything like that.

So it might be fine one day yet fail inspection two days later. Or it might pass inspection every time for the next 6 months. I think the problem is BA genuinely don't know when any given engine might fail such an inspection and need to be taken out of service.

And RR have well published difficulties in manufacturing the replacement parts in sufficient numbers, so it's also possible that they don't know exactly when they will be able to return them to service either.

Still very frustrating for passengers of course
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller

Strange... Mine is the exact reverse route

LHR - SJC, home from LAS - LHR in First with a 241... I have a 3 week trip down the coast to san diago via LA, across to momument valley then via grand canyon and zion park to vegas
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:32 pm

So these cancellations are as the result of an inspection? That's not very reassuring at all!

I thought they were rotating planes and they were getting to each one in turn, which is why I was thinking they could do it with more forewarning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.