787 SJC Cancellations

Old Apr 24, 18, 11:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 235
787 SJC Cancellations

I know there have been a number of cancellations on this route due to RR engine issues. Many of the cancellations appear to have been on Wednesdays (according to thebasource).

Is it known how BA determine whether to cancel? Is it down to how heavily loaded the flight is? If that is the case can someone tell me how busy BA279 is on Sat 28th April and BA278 on Wednesday 1st May? Trying to work out the likelihood of my flights being disrupted.

Thanks.
hugolover likes this.
GrahamClarke is offline  
Old Apr 24, 18, 11:57 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,223
BA279 28/4 - F3 J6 W6 Y9 - Busy but not full
BA278 1/5 - F2 J9 W9 Y9 - Not busy at all

I'm also on the 279 on Saturday but I'll be OK with a reroute to SFO if it is cancelled.
Steve_ZA is offline  
Old Apr 24, 18, 12:05 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA View Post
BA279 28/4 - F3 J6 W6 Y9 - Busy but not full
BA278 1/5 - F2 J9 W9 Y9 - Not busy at all

I'm also on the 279 on Saturday but I'll be OK with a reroute to SFO if it is cancelled.
Thanks Steve. I'm in 1A on outbound (via GUF1), CW return. I guess if 279 outbound from LHR on Wednesday 1st is busy then they'll probably run the 278 return otherwise the plane will be out of position.
GrahamClarke is offline  
Old Apr 24, 18, 11:38 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 25
I'm going out on Tuesday 15th, and am a little concerned about the recent cancellations. Is there any way to look up the reason for a cancellation?
kittarbitrary is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 1:08 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,223
Originally Posted by GrahamClarke View Post
Thanks Steve. I'm in 1A on outbound (via GUF1), CW return. I guess if 279 outbound from LHR on Wednesday 1st is busy then they'll probably run the 278 return otherwise the plane will be out of position.
I'm subject to a client's travel policy so will not be in F or J unless an OpUp comes along . By the way, Tuesday is the 1st May and the outbound is similarly loaded F3 J9 W9 Y9.

Originally Posted by kittarbitrary View Post
I'm going out on Tuesday 15th, and am a little concerned about the recent cancellations. Is there any way to look up the reason for a cancellation?
The most likely cause for 787 cancellations right now is the Rolls Royce engine problems which will be ongoing for some time to come. In the event of a cancellation, you might be able to reroute to SFO or connect via LAX so there are options, which no doubt is a factor when determining which flights to cancel.
Steve_ZA is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:54 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: BA Blue
Posts: 84
I have a flight booked in September to SJC in First, is the situation likely to get better or worse by September? Everything I read says RR just don't have the parts supply to fix all the engines and it's going to take years to resolve.
stevemack is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 4:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
Posts: 102
I'm similarly concerned about a 2-4-1 first redemption from SJC to LHR on 9 July 2018. I appreciate this is a long way off but I also agree with others that this engine problem looks pretty long term. As it happens I would be just as happy about an SFO A380 flight but there weren't the redemption spaces on those flights when I was booking. It would be good to have this sorted before we fly out (to LAS in mid June) but I fear things aren't going to be clear that far ahead.

I guess just have to sit tight and see what happens.
LondonTechTraveller is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 5:09 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller View Post
I'm similarly concerned about a 2-4-1 first redemption from SJC to LHR on 9 July 2018. I appreciate this is a long way off but I also agree with others that this engine problem looks pretty long term. As it happens I would be just as happy about an SFO A380 flight but there weren't the redemption spaces on those flights when I was booking. It would be good to have this sorted before we fly out (to LAS in mid June) but I fear things aren't going to be clear that far ahead.

I guess just have to sit tight and see what happens.
If the flight does get cancelled which is a long time away, BA will re-route you to your final destination, if there is no avios availability they would use the lowest booking class - so nothing to worry about
haroon145 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 10:21 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 25
Thanks Steve_ZA. I'm guessing it's the engines too but if it is why can't they schedule the cancellations in advance? I know they will reroute me, but it might not be the same day, I have people who rearrange their schedule to pick me up at the other end, my mum all excited making dinner etc., so some warning would just be the courteous thing for them to do.
kittarbitrary is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 10:29 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,784
Originally Posted by kittarbitrary View Post
Thanks Steve_ZA. I'm guessing it's the engines too but if it is why can't they schedule the cancellations in advance? I know they will reroute me, but it might not be the same day, I have people who rearrange their schedule to pick me up at the other end, my mum all excited making dinner etc., so some warning would just be the courteous thing for them to do.
There are 2 BA engine less B787's at LHR now, and others with flight restrictions I dont know if BA is able to predict in advance which flights will operate. The rumour about 2 B747's returning from the desert is doing the rounds, so I guess this option has been looked at by someone.
rapidex is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:31 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 25
It's probably me not really understanding the problem. I assumed they had some schedule where they knew which plane was going to fly which routes for the next, I don't know, 10 days or something, but perhaps it's all more short term and haphazard than that.

Still, from a customer point of view being told the same day your flight is cancelled is so far from ideal, even if they will reroute you.
kittarbitrary is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 1:54 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
Posts: 120
+1

BA must know which planes are impacted and when as would be based on the plane’s respective service history- just like a car. The more advance notice the better, unless they can guarantee same class and same date of travel- which are the 2 biggest concerns of passengers.
jrc999 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 2:17 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: BA, Hilton
Posts: 1,208
Originally Posted by jrc999 View Post
+1

BA must know which planes are impacted and when as would be based on the plane’s respective service history- just like a car.
I don't think it is that simple from what I have understood - hopefully one of the resident experts can comment but from what I understand the aircraft are being grounded or not on the basis of inspection of the turbine blades (the problematic part) and that such inspections are happening much more frequently, possibly even after each return flight - but it's not as simple as "this turbine can do another X hundred hours just fine" or anything like that.

So it might be fine one day yet fail inspection two days later. Or it might pass inspection every time for the next 6 months. I think the problem is BA genuinely don't know when any given engine might fail such an inspection and need to be taken out of service.

And RR have well published difficulties in manufacturing the replacement parts in sufficient numbers, so it's also possible that they don't know exactly when they will be able to return them to service either.

Still very frustrating for passengers of course
BertieBadger is online now  
Old Apr 25, 18, 2:36 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: BA Blue
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller View Post
I'm similarly concerned about a 2-4-1 first redemption from SJC to LHR on 9 July 2018. I appreciate this is a long way off but I also agree with others that this engine problem looks pretty long term. As it happens I would be just as happy about an SFO A380 flight but there weren't the redemption spaces on those flights when I was booking. It would be good to have this sorted before we fly out (to LAS in mid June) but I fear things aren't going to be clear that far ahead.

I guess just have to sit tight and see what happens.
Strange... Mine is the exact reverse route

LHR - SJC, home from LAS - LHR in First with a 241... I have a 3 week trip down the coast to san diago via LA, across to momument valley then via grand canyon and zion park to vegas
stevemack is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:32 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 25
So these cancellations are as the result of an inspection? That's not very reassuring at all!

I thought they were rotating planes and they were getting to each one in turn, which is why I was thinking they could do it with more forewarning.
kittarbitrary is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: