Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 SJC Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Well, I was on the cancelled Monday flight, I believe I got about 3 days notice.

Now trying to figure out whether to route LAX-SJC or just to SFO. Unfortunately SFO flight lands in the middle of rush hour and my car is parked in SJC.

​​​​​​I'm actually surprised the LAX and SFO flights aren't fully booked with both LAX and SJC cancellations. Maybe Monday loads are light.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I’m booked on a friday flight. Booked with the wife and 18 month old so not going to go down well if we get moved to SFO. Car rental is booked at SJC too,

What would we do if we did get moved? Call hertz to move the booking or just get a taxi from SFO to SJC and bill BA for the taxi? It’s a one way rental too so generally not something every location can do.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by stevemack
I’m booked on a friday flight. Booked with the wife and 18 month old so not going to go down well if we get moved to SFO. Car rental is booked at SJC too,

What would we do if we did get moved? Call hertz to move the booking or just get a taxi from SFO to SJC and bill BA for the taxi? It’s a one way rental too so generally not something every location can do.
If you have to get from SFO to SJC I would suggest either Lyft or Uber (both work well), or Monterey Airbus:

https://www.montereyairbus.com/schedules

(scroll down to the Southbound schedules - SFO pickup, SJC dropoff).

I'm traveling Friday in the other direction. Would be so much easier if they would just announce the cancellations with a bit more notice.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Blue

I'm also interested to know this as we have a BA Holidays flight and car hire to SJC and back booked for August.

Any taxi/alternative transport would need to have a car seat for our 4 year old which I don't think most of them carry. I'm assuming BA would be liable for any cost of us getting to SJC to collect the car?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

I'd try to move the Hertz booking from SJC to SFO. Less hassle than trying to claim back taxi cost from BA who might not even agree to do so. Both Hertz locations at SJC and SFO are pretty big, so I'd be very surprised if SJC was willing to do a one way booking and not SFO.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
I decided go just connect via LAX and grab dinner at the QF first lounge... better than waiting an hour in traffic between SFO-SJC. still, such a pain since I was hoping to get back home at 7.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Starwood, Marriott, HRC
278 on 30 April

We were booked on the Monday flight and notification came in around 4:30-5:30 am (PDT) on Friday. The snag we ran into was an agent insisting that the change was not allowable because our flight would be 381miles longer and it violated some 350mile rule. HUH?? No arguing it. Refused to escalate.

We ended up flying out a day earlier. We are totally bewildered by this obvious error. We took the Sunday flight be ause other travel depends on on our being in place and is not changeable. I’ve only lived in Northern California all my life, so you can imagine my surprise.. most flight mile charts we can find show no more than a mile or two.

We ended up in less-desired seats but it was a good flight, and the first we have had with the new meal service and bedding (Club World). The system was unable to let us preselect meals on Friday but it didnt matter. There was a problem with online checkin at 24 hours, only one of us was able to be checked in, but a phone call verified it was not going to be an issue checking in at the airport.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by cafeirene
We were booked on the Monday flight and notification came in around 4:30-5:30 am (PDT) on Friday. The snag we ran into was an agent insisting that the change was not allowable because our flight would be 381miles longer and it violated some 350mile rule. HUH?? No arguing it. Refused to escalate.
What was the change you requested? Did you change your destination to LAX? They actually proposed LHR-LAX-SJC to me.

​​​​yes the new meal service is nice, as is the bedding. I usually fly American so I was pleasantly surprised by the updates. The hard product still desperately needs an update though.

Last edited by no2chem; Apr 30, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:32 am

Wednesday 02May is cancelled:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...340Z/EGLL/KSJC
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by cafeirene
The mileage suggests they were considering re-routing you through LAX ... but then refused?! Sounds crazy....
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:27 am

One option would be to operate the SJC flight out of SFO or OAK departing and arriving at the same time using a spare 777/767 and offer a complimentary bus to/from SJC or offer a $150 check to use for the transportation cost to/from SFO or OAK. Its about $66 each way on Lyft/Uber from the South Bay to SFO. Another option is to substitute the 787 for a 767/777. Perhaps BA could recoup some money from the RR issue to operate another aircraft even if it has to be leased from Thomas Cook or Virgin Atlantic to operate the flight as scheduled.

This way no cancellations are needed. How about the OAK flights? Thoughts.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:33 am

It would be better to take Lyft or Uber to SFO. What you do is when you return your car walk to the Scheduled Ride area for Lyft/Uber. Its about a 3 minute walk to the Terminal B Pickup/Drop Off then bill BA for the cost. Should be no more than $90 for an SUV a Taxi would be close to $150. I do this all the time in the Bay Area and it works beautifully. I know of some friends who are here for business use Uber/Lyft for Airport to Airport transfers so if their flight arrives at SFO and they are meeting colleagues departing from SJC they use Uber/Lyft for the airport to airport transfer. You may also be able to use your Travelers Insurance Trip Interruption policy to cover the extra cost of Lyft/Uber.

It would cost you more to drop off your car at the SFO Hertz as you are taking the SJC car out of inventory and would have to be taken back to SJC. Its simpler to return the car at SJC as there is no AirTrain to deal with back to the terminal and its an easy walk to the Lyft/Uber area.

What you do is when you are arriving SJC in your car use the "Clock image" to schedule your ride for 20 minutes after you arrive so it will give you time to check the car back in and walk with your luggage to the pickup area. You can ask the Rental Car Agent where to get your Uber/Lyft ride. I hope you will have a car seat if not then your best bet is to return the car to SFO .

I would allow at least 60-75 minutes from SJC and during rush hour a bit more. You may get surge pricing if its during rush hour.

Last edited by danielonn; Apr 30, 2018 at 11:38 am
Old May 10, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm booked BRU-LHR-SJC and back again in June. I've been following the 787 cancellations (and indeed Southerly re-routings over Canada and USA) with interest. I now notice that if one does a dummy booking for LHR-SJC on any flight within +/- three days of my booked itinerary, one gets the error "Sorry, there are no direct flights for this route". It's the same story for both BA.COM and google flights. But my reservation looks fine on MMB. What gives?

Hector B
Old May 10, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by hectorb
I'm booked BRU-LHR-SJC and back again in June. I've been following the 787 cancellations (and indeed Southerly re-routings over Canada and USA) with interest. I now notice that if one does a dummy booking for LHR-SJC on any flight within +/- three days of my booked itinerary, one gets the error "Sorry, there are no direct flights for this route". It's the same story for both BA.COM and google flights. But my reservation looks fine on MMB. What gives?

Hector B
Looking at EF - a lot of dates in June have had the inventory zeroed out, i.e. they can't sell any more seats, but the flights themselves have not been cancelled, hence MMB is still showing your flight as scheduled at present.

Pilot37
Old May 10, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks. Do you think that implies that the flight is at risk of being cancelled, or maybe a different aircraft assigned to that route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.