Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 SJC Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Well, SJC has been victimized..ah...er, randomly chosen for cancellation again. Our 11/27 SJC-LHR wwas cancelled yesterday. This works out well, actually, as I was able to get SFO-LHR/LHR-SFO in J for not much more then the original J/T booking, so we'll get a bunch of Avois back.

Still, seems that SJC are within the cancellation sites...

Cheers.
Days around Thanksgiving are usually prime for cancellations (for UK-US-UK flights) when loads are low, often for business locations like SJC, and especially when there is another location very close (in BA terms) that can carry the load. And yes, SJC probably get's more than its share of cancellations because of the two SFO flights per day.

Glad you found a decent alternative.

rb211.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RB211
Days around Thanksgiving are usually prime for cancellations (for UK-US-UK flights) when loads are low, often for business locations like SJC, and especially when there is another location very close (in BA terms) that can carry the load. And yes, SJC probably get's more than its share of cancellations because of the two SFO flights per day.

Glad you found a decent alternative.

rb211.
Certainly makes sense. We look at this time as extra holiday to use going further, but this is certainly more of a business route

Overall, this works to advantage often. SJC-LHR is often cheaper and may have better upgrade availability. So,we book that. When it cancels, we can move to SFO in the upgraded class at the original cost.

SJC is more convenient to home, but SFO has better lounges

Cheers.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Certainly makes sense. We look at this time as extra holiday to use going further, but this is certainly more of a business route

Overall, this works to advantage often. SJC-LHR is often cheaper and may have better upgrade availability. So,we book that. When it cancels, we can move to SFO in the upgraded class at the original cost.

SJC is more convenient to home, but SFO has better lounges

Cheers.
I'm an SFO repeat offender (putting it mildly) but have never flown from SJC (on BA) yet - I might have to give it a try. However, as I'm near BART in the (North) East Bay, SFO (or OAK when BA flew there, although never tried it) makes more sense. I will have to try SJC one day just for the novelty. What is the BA lounge situation in SJC?

rb211.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RB211
I'm an SFO repeat offender (putting it mildly) but have never flown from SJC (on BA) yet - I might have to give it a try. However, as I'm near BART in the (North) East Bay, SFO (or OAK when BA flew there, although never tried it) makes more sense. I will have to try SJC one day just for the novelty. What is the BA lounge situation in SJC?

rb211.
You mean you'll have to book the SJC-LHR flight. Whether or not you get to try it is a different story
We're near San Jose, so that's why we like SJC when we can.

SJC has a reasonably-nice-for what-it-is lounge, The Lounge at SJC (part of the The Lounge at network). BA, ANA and Priority Pass (mostly PP). We go there whenever we fly out of SJC on AA, AS, WN, DL...and the occasional BA.
Certainly not worth it for extra effort, except that the airport is small and easier to navigate than SFO.

Cheers.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
SJC has a reasonably-nice-for what-it-is lounge, The Lounge at SJC (part of the The Lounge at network). BA, ANA and Priority Pass (mostly PP). We go there whenever we fly out of SJC on AA, AS, WN, DL...and the occasional BA.
Certainly not worth it for extra effort, except that the airport is small and easier to navigate than SFO.

Cheers.
I prefer to fly into SJC and out of SFO.
SJC has the benefit of a Dreamliner flight and if you’re in WTP and above, a quick and easy ride through customs and immigration, and when you collect your luggage you are literally outside the airport after passing through the doors.

SFO has better security wait times (at least on the A380 back to LHR) and the lounge choices far superior, with a shorter walk to the gate. I don’t like the lounge at SJC, it’s crowded, smelly, poor choice of food, the internet is unusable and the alcoholic drinks are only served by a bar tender. SFO BA Lounge and CX First have self pour and in the case of CX First, a lot less crowded, though a few more minutes walk away from the gate but right by security. That said, boarding is better enforced at SJC than SFO, which is a free for all I have only ever experienced elsewhere in Italian airports.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by avon75
That said, boarding is better enforced at SJC than SFO, which is a free for all I have only ever experienced elsewhere in Italian airports.
Boarding for the A380 at SFO is only ever a scrum! It isn't pretty! Other BA planes (744 and 772) usually use gate A4 or A6 so one can board directly from the lounge and avoid all that unpleasantness.

rb211.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avon75

I prefer to fly into SJC and out of SFO.
SJC has the benefit of a Dreamliner flight and if you’re in WTP and above, a quick and easy ride through customs and immigration, and when you collect your luggage you are literally outside the airport after passing through the doors.

SFO has better security wait times (at least on the A380 back to LHR) and the lounge choices far superior, with a shorter walk to the gate. I don’t like the lounge at SJC, it’s crowded, smelly, poor choice of food, the internet is unusable and the alcoholic drinks are only served by a bar tender. SFO BA Lounge and CX First have self pour and in the case of CX First, a lot less crowded, though a few more minutes walk away from the gate but right by security. That said, boarding is better enforced at SJC than SFO, which is a free for all I have only ever experienced elsewhere in Italian airports.
Comparing lounges at SFO and SJC is like comparing apples and sawdust. The SJC lounge is better than no lounge, but that's about it.Walk from SJC lounge to the typical BA gate (usually something like 18) is not far at all, though.

As to the rest, now that BA participate in Pre-Check, I would expect this to be quite fast. We use Pre-Check at SCJ regularly and rarely wait more than 2-3 minutes. Also, suggest you use Terminal A as WN are Terminal B. This is provided you don't need to see the BA desk, of course. We have GE, Customs is fast for us at any airport and then, yes, I agree that being out of the airport so easily at SJC is great. Access to parking shuttle or Uber/Lyft.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.