Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA cancellations LHR-SAN Nov 25-29, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
BA cancellations LHR-SAN Nov 25-29, 2019

BA has cancelled all direct flights between LHR & SAN on five consecutive days, Nov 25-29, 2019. Does anyone know the reason, please? Neither the YouFirst nor Gold lines could give an explanation.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:38 pm

That is the period of thanksgiving, therefore you can assume that overall demand (especially premium demand) is lower. It may not make financial sense to operate some flights.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
There’s always cancellations over Thanksgiving due to low actual or predicted demand
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:59 pm

As rossmacd points out, thanksgiving holiday.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:16 pm

Just had my flight to LAX cancelled during this period as well, again thanksgiving I would imagine
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Thanksgiving wouldn't account for cancelling five consecutive days of the ONLY daily direct flight Heathrow to San Diego. At the very least they would have kept one every other day. As it is, traffic has been shunted to the day before this cancellation period (Nov 24) or the day after (Nov 30), and premium passengers have been squashed into what availability is left. In our case this meant being shunted out of our preferred seats (1A/K) and put in two random seats at the back of F, not even together although we're on the same PNR and are both Gold.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There’s plenty of other F reroutes to west coast. Did you explore all options before making choice? Flexibility is normally excellent in these situations - I would’ve gone through LAX on an A380
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, United MP member, Marriott Reward Silver member, IHG, KimptonKarma
Thanksgiving is Thurs 28th this year. Hope there are no changes to direct flights earlier in Nov when we are travelling. Already changed to mid J from high J and T5 to T3
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I would’ve gone through LAX on an A380
I agree that the A380 would always be my preferred aircraft; however, going through LAX entails, not only dealing with LAX (!) rather than SAN immigration which is a breeze, but taking a puddle jumper down to San Diego, which in turn means having to transfer to the old commuter terminal via bus adding three hours or more to the total travel time since the flights are less frequent than they used to be when Skywest were responsible for AA Eagle flights.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Full Score
I agree that the A380 would always be my preferred aircraft; however, going through LAX entails, not only dealing with LAX (!) rather than SAN immigration which is a breeze, but taking a puddle jumper down to San Diego, which in turn means having to transfer to the old commuter terminal via bus adding three hours or more to the total travel time since the flights are less frequent than they used to be when Skywest were responsible for AA Eagle flights.
Hi,

PHX might be a possible alternative ( easy immigration) but switches from a 744 to a 787-9 at the start of the winter timetable.

Regards

TBS
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Full Score
Thanksgiving wouldn't account for cancelling five consecutive days of the ONLY daily direct flight Heathrow to San Diego. At the very least they would have kept one every other day. As it is, traffic has been shunted to the day before this cancellation period (Nov 24) or the day after (Nov 30), and premium passengers have been squashed into what availability is left. In our case this meant being shunted out of our preferred seats (1A/K) and put in two random seats at the back of F, not even together although we're on the same PNR and are both Gold.
There really isn’t going to be the demand. There will be hardly any business travel in that week as everybody wants to get back home to be with their families by Wednesday evening and with the sales and the four day weekend there’s not going to be much traffic until the following Monday.

BA will no doubt reduce frequency to other US destinations over the same period. They do each year.

Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
...PHX might be a possible alternative (easy immigration) but switches from a 744 to a 787-9 at the start of the winter timetable.
Before the LHR-SAN direct service, I used to do LHR-PHX-SAN a lot. You're right, immigration is easy, particularly with Global Entry, but there's a long walk between terminals and the BA Lounge is horrible (or at least it was five years ago). Is baggage interlining easier now that the old USAirways service has become AA?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
AA has already slashed many flights to Europe during this time, ORD had all flights cancelled to LHR Nov 29th for instance, same for LAX as an example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.