Wiki Posts
Search

UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by allturnleft
...BEAC...
After also reading your now closed thread the OCD part of me is encouraging me to say:

BAEC! BAEC! BAEC!
allturnleft likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Morland
I've just got the personal email, which says that I don't have a BAEC account so one will be opened for me. This is surprising given I've moved Avios between BAEC and Avios before. I don't see any way to advise Avios that I have a BAEC account. Maybe I have to wait and then merge the accounts after the new one has been opened, but I don't see any guidance on this.
I only have 50 avios in the travel awards programme. The email says they will create a new Exec Club account for me. If I end up with two, with tier point expiry dates around 6 months apart, it could prove useful. I guess they'll end up being merged though.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I may have missed it while looking at other points (no pun intended...), but does this change mean that transfers between IB, Avios, BA, etc (which has been necessary to move points from IB to BA HHA via Avios.com) will no longer be possible? Being able to do move them around to redeem for whatever each has available is a different thing to Avios.com no longer offering certain travel redemptions.
I'm also interested in this. I have a stash of 220k Iberia Avios because I didn't want them to be part of my BA HHA. If I don't send them over before 20 May, will they be stuck there forever?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by BA6501
I'm also interested in this. I have a stash of 220k Iberia Avios because I didn't want them to be part of my BA HHA. If I don't send them over before 20 May, will they be stuck there forever?
+1 ... my stash is in Avios.com or IB never BAEC for exactly the same reason. My Avios account was set up purely to collect Flybe miles so I’m assuming I’ll end up with a Flybe aligned Avios.com account eventually. If that can transfer seamlessly to and from BAEC, then great.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:03 pm

None of this replies has dealt with the key question - will I still be able to to get in store avios at cafe Nero?!

It’s an alarmingly effective (and eye opening) way to earn avios.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by allturnleft
How wull the flybe scheme work?
I am going to guess it's going to be a bit like Vueling or Aer Lingus' scheme. So that involves having an email address and username combination unique to Flybe, so you end up with a new Avios.com account, and a rather long Avios membership number. That number will be used by Flybe to earn on their flights, though as you say that due to limitations on their MMB equivalent is very clunky from a customer perspective. Then the redemptions will look similar to Avios.com today but with relatively few ways of earning additional Avios within that scheme apart from via Flybe. The one merit it may have is that it could preserve the swapping of Avios between the various partners with the benefit of an Avios.com start point.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by BA6501
Reading each line of the FAQ again I found this:

Once your British Airways Executive Club account is set up, you can move your Avios across to AerClub, Vueling Club, or Flybe programme to spend your Avios as you wish.
As far as I can tell:
  • AerClub and Vueling credit direct to Avios.com, who will continue to provide this service (no talk of them setting up a new programmes)
  • Flybe are creating a new programme
So it looks like there will continue to be a web of connections to allow Avios transfer. If Avios.com continues "as is" for those two airlines maybe that will become the way to deal with the HHA challenge, or maybe it will become impossible.

One thing I don't understand is whey there is no reference to Iberia in the FAQ, etc. Wouldn't that be a sensible new "home" for some current Avios.com members ?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lizban
None of this replies has dealt with the key question - will I still be able to to get in store avios at cafe Nero?!

It’s an alarmingly effective (and eye opening) way to earn avios.
+1, this, absolutely. I've made many thousands of Avios from Nero in-store spend (as well as the occasional credit from Prezzo or Pizza Express). It's the only reason I have a separate Avios account.

That combined with the 5-7% that I also get back from my AmEx on Nero spend, plus the fact they have the best coffee of the 'big' chains, makes it a very attractive proposition.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Reading each line of the FAQ again I found this:

As far as I can tell:
  • AerClub and Vueling credit direct to Avios.com, who will continue to provide this service (no talk of them setting up a new programmes)
  • Flybe are creating a new programme
So it looks like there will continue to be a web of connections to allow Avios transfer. If Avios.com continues "as is" for those two airlines maybe that will become the way to deal with the HHA challenge, or maybe it will become impossible.

One thing I don't understand is whey there is no reference to Iberia in the FAQ, etc. Wouldn't that be a sensible new "home" for some current Avios.com members ?
The IAG presentation provided some insight about how the loyalty platform is expected to be structured with the ATRP, AerClub, FlyBe, kulula, and Vueling accounts configured on a single database. This allows for customers belonging to any one, or more than one of the above programmes to collect and redeem through a single balance. This already appears to be happening for customers who belong to both AerClub and ATRP, as with the ATRP element removed this week, the combined balance is now (or should be) showing when they log into their AerClub accounts.

The legacy BAEC, IB Plus, and Meridiana Club databases remain on standalone platforms but will be migrated to the main platform.

I don't fully understand the anatomy and inner workings but I think this is the gist of it.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Prospero
The IAG presentation provided some insight about how the loyalty platform is expected to be structured with the ATRP, AerClub, FlyBe, kulula, and Vueling accounts configured on a single database. This allows for customers belonging to any one, or more than one of the above programmes to collect and redeem through a single balance. This already appears to be happening for customers who belong to both AerClub and ATRP, as with the ATRP element removed this week, the combined balance is now (or should be) showing when they log into their AerClub accounts.

The legacy BAEC, IB Plus, and Meridiana Club databases remain on standalone platforms but will be migrated to the main platform.

I don't fully understand the anatomy and inner workings but I think this is the gist of it.
This means all the accounts will use the avios.com databases and IT, so essentially what is removed are the earning and spending partners unique to avios.com, and the ability to double-dip during promotions...
I really hope they change the rules a bit and allow transfer from Iberia to BAEC HHA, this is a very peculiar arrangement at the moment without any real sense.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm still confused over Flybe. If some Avios members are being told their Avios account/ points will convert to a flybe account, what will happen between May 20 and whenever the Flybe programme opens?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Clan Loganair, BAEC (Blue4life), AMEX
I've read and reread the FAQ on avios.com, am I correct on the following?

- The ability to earn (via the e-store) and store points in a centralised pot on avios.com is being removed
- Everyone is being migrated to BAEC and may run the risk to two accounts if you don't proactively move points to BA
- Now have to use the BA e-store to earn points via hotels/online shopping etc which I believe has fewer partners
- Tesco Clubcard automatic collection will move to BAEC
- We can move avios from program to program, so there will be no orphaned points
- The whole thing will mess up in ways we cannot comprehend

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
I'm still confused over Flybe. If some Avios members are being told their Avios account/ points will convert to a flybe account, what will happen between May 20 and whenever the Flybe programme opens?
I'm always confused by Flybe!
I would also like to know as ~75% of my avios earning flying is with them. I think the plan of attack is to continue as normal and hope for the best!
Hopefully if there are changes, it will be something straight forward such as there will be a temporary avios.com pool for flybe avios with the option to move points out. Once/if the flybe system is up and running it should hopefully act as pot for flybe avios with the ability to easily transfer out. It would be good if we could transfer automatically to BAEC but I doubt that will happen

One thing I want to know is, if I have pending avios will they transfer to BAEC or the mythical flybe program?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something that is quite annoying is the loss of the Avios redemptions map search constrained by date.

Quite often you just want to go somewhere sunny / cultural / far away but you are restricted by date. No one else offers a broad search like that.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Help to save 51,819 Avios from extinction.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, but please bear with me.

My SiL and BiL have 51,819 Avios in their BAEC HHA ... these are about to expire, and it is unlikely they will ever get to use them due to age/health issues. SiL asked if they could transfer them to our BAEC accounts.

Having logged in to BAEC, that should be simple - as a BAEC Gold I can do that free, as they are part of my Friends and Family grouping. However, using her log-in as a Blue, it is clear they would each have to pay £140 [for up to 24,400], which makes their Avios a rather expensive purchase for me. I don't see that as good value, and the Avios aren't really needed anyway - I just hate waste!

So I wondered about transferring their Avios to new accounts at avios.com, and then getting them re-directed from there to my BAEC account. However, the changes discussed here seem to suggest that this is about to become a bit of a PITA - if not impossible.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how THEIR Avios with BAEC could get transferred to OUR BAEC accounts without paying £280?

I repeat, they have no foreseeable use for over 51k Avios, and simply want to get them to us.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by T8191
Does anyone have a suggestion of how THEIR Avios with BAEC could get transferred to OUR BAEC accounts without paying £280?
Add them to your own HHA and spend them?

If they're expiring soonish, you may need to make, and then cancel, a redemption booking so that there's activity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.