Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:37 am

Sorry didn't see this posted, just received from Avios.

In the coming months, the UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme will close but Avios, the currency, will remain. We’re doing this to simplify the programme and further improve collection and spending opportunities. You’ll still be able to collect and spend Avios with many of the partners you do today, you’ll just have a new home to do it all from.Don't worry, we'll sort out everything for you
Your Avios balance is secure and any existing bookings and pending transactions are safe. All your Avios will be automatically transferred to your linked British Airways Executive Club account.

<with correct linked BAEC account number>
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by TheVengefulTraveller
For me the biggest loss here will be from Hilton reservations made through the avios.com estore.

At the moment all of my current reservations have tracked and show as pending so I should be ok according to the FAQ but I've taken screenshots and saved the data to a spreadsheet just in case.
This is of particular concern to those with pending Hilton reservations many months ahead from now and where the credit isn't due until another 90-120 days after the stay in completed.

At 6 Avios per £1, there could be a considerable number of Avios at stake
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
This is of particular concern to those with pending Hilton reservations many months ahead from now and where the credit isn't due until another 90-120 days after the stay in completed.

At 6 Avios per £1, there could be a considerable number of Avios at stake
To be honest I struggle to see how anyone actually qualifies for miles now. As all Hilton Honors / Membership rates are now blocked from earning, and those tend to be noticeably cheaper than the public rates, why would you be booking a qualifying rate?

It is as weird as TopCashback. You get 5% cashback if you not a HH member and 1% if you are - BUT, during the booking process, you are encouraged to join HH in order to see the cheapest rates!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Morland
I've just got the personal email, which says that I don't have a BAEC account so one will be opened for me. This is surprising given I've moved Avios between BAEC and Avios before. I don't see any way to advise Avios that I have a BAEC account. Maybe I have to wait and then merge the accounts after the new one has been opened, but I don't see any guidance on this.
The next paragraph should tell you: "If you already have a British Airways Executive Club account, to avoid another one being opened you can simply transfer your Avios across by 20 May 2018 at avios.com/travelrewards".
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
The next paragraph should tell you: "If you already have a British Airways Executive Club account, to avoid another one being opened you can simply transfer your Avios across by 20 May 2018 at avios.com/travelrewards".
Yes, I read that, and I have transferred my Avios at this stage, but there's a chance that Lloyds or another provider could credit Avios on 19 May, thus giving a balance on my Avios account - presumably in that case given a balance on Avios they will go ahead and create a new BAEC account. So I guess I need to diarise a check on 20 May itself, as transferring now does not guarantee a zero balance at the cutover point.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Thanks to the heads up here and at H4P I immediately transferred my 11,000 or so Avios from avios.com into my BAEC account without any problem whatsoever. I then received an information email about the changes, which appeared about the same time I completed the transfer, telling me that I would be enrolled in the new Flybe scheme based on my accrual profile, or whatever. I'm glad I transferred them over to BAEC, because Flybe does not interest me in the slightest.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have an Avios account in my own name, and am a member of a BAEC household account. It's not possible to transfer my Avios points to the household account. According to the details of the Avios closure, anyone who doesn't have a BAEC account will have one opened for them. This will leave me with two BAEC accounts, which is against the rules. I can't find any information on how I should proceed - do I wait until the second BAEC account is opened and then merge them?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:23 pm

I've still not received an e-mail, perhaps it will come one day ......

Originally Posted by SilverSkier
I have an Avios account in my own name, and am a member of a BAEC household account. It's not possible to transfer my Avios points to the household account. According to the details of the Avios closure, anyone who doesn't have a BAEC account will have one opened for them. This will leave me with two BAEC accounts, which is against the rules. I can't find any information on how I should proceed - do I wait until the second BAEC account is opened and then merge them?
Are you sure? Avios.com is usually the best way to get Avios into a HHA, especially if trying to move across miles from IB.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by flashware

Are you sure? Avios.com is usually the best way to get Avios into a HHA, especially if trying to move across miles from IB.
My mistake - I'd misunderstood the rules. Many thanks for posting - I'll have another go at transferring.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
Thanks to the heads up here and at H4P I immediately transferred my 11,000 or so Avios from avios.com into my BAEC account without any problem whatsoever. I then received an information email about the changes, which appeared about the same time I completed the transfer, telling me that I would be enrolled in the new Flybe scheme based on my accrual profile, or whatever. I'm glad I transferred them over to BAEC, because Flybe does not interest me in the slightest.
Interesting that the Flybe scheme will be up and running by May 20th.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
My mistake - I'd misunderstood the rules. Many thanks for posting - I'll have another go at transferring.
That transfer should work fine for you. I just used the IB-Avios-BA:HHA shuffle to move what had accumulated in IB across with no trouble.

In case it helps, I tend to do it from the Avios side. ISTR having more of a problem if doing it from IB (certainly) or BA (possibly).

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Apr 13, 2018 at 1:38 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:58 am

I have an Avios account in my own name, and am a member of a BAEC household account.
I may have missed it while looking at other points (no pun intended...), but does this change mean that transfers between IB, Avios, BA, etc (which has been necessary to move points from IB to BA HHA via Avios.com) will no longer be possible? Being able to do move them around to redeem for whatever each has available is a different thing to Avios.com no longer offering certain travel redemptions.

Presumably this from the FAQ:

Can I move my Avios between airline loyalty programme accounts?

Yes, you will able to move your Avios between accounts in order to spend them where you wish.
Is intended to refer to just the AerClub, Vueling Club or Flybe set. Is anything happening on the Iberia side?

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Apr 13, 2018 at 1:05 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:08 am

Is this assumed to be a part of the shift to dynamic redemption charges for BA, and implies that the others (staying aligned to Avios.com) aren't doing that?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Interesting that the Flybe scheme will be up and running by May 20th.
It won't. Avios told me 'late 2018' on Monday.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
How wull the flybe scheme work?

do we transfer sll ot our avios out of avios.com earnt via flybe for the tome being?

have always thought flybe would gain by direct cedit to the BEAC ; their current system is pants!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.