Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by chongcao
@lightyear40 ...while maintain the same level of service and commercial contracts!!
Maybe they simplified it by deciding not to?
ajamieson likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Interesting...did we see this coming?
I'm undecided on whether it fits What was mentioned at the last shareholder presentation, or an evolution of what was on their minds then.

I'd anticipated all Avios based accounts being merged to remove the need to shuffle points around, although that might present problems with differing long running partner agreements.

My recent thread about Avios agents at BA was along those lines, but now looks like they'll be going the other way.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Maybe they simplified it by deciding not to?
Yes that could be the reason. Then their 'nothing will change' promise is a false statement... I am going to wait until August to have my own verdict. But judging from @Raffles 's earlier contribution to the thread, I am pessimistic.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:27 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gms
There is currently a technical issue affecting the transfer of points from Avios to BA. I just tried. The points left my Avios account (now 0 balance) but I got a message saying they could not be credited to my BA account and that I needed to contact Avios to have them credited back to my Avios account! I did that, but the agent said:

"There is currently a problem with the transfer function. It has been reported to the BA and Avios online teams who are working on it. If points have left your account they will roll back within 24 hours."

So be cautious about trying to transfer points until this problem is fixed. It is apparently "being investigated as high priority". But this is BA IT we're talking about, so that could mean anything!
Just a quick update. My Avios didn't "roll back" within 24 hours. But a web chat with an agent got them recredited. They also confirmed the problems with transfers have been fixed and I was just able to successfully transfer my Avios over.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:17 am

Darn it. I was prepping to start a household account with a "family member" (friend) that has 500,000 or so amex points hes giving me. The plan was to both open avios accounts, join as household, wait a few months, then split the household back up using the mail in form, with me getting all the points. I would then move the points from avios to BAEC. When exactly are they closing down?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by metoo1
Darn it. I was prepping to start a household account with a "family member" (friend) that has 500,000 or so amex points hes giving me. The plan was to both open avios accounts, join as household, wait a few months, then split the household back up using the mail in form, with me getting all the points. I would then move the points from avios to BAEC. When exactly are they closing down?
Have you read the FAQ?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:48 am

Twice (just skimmed it again looking for a drop dead date). All it says is I will receive a letter or email by the 20th May and if I don't, I'm to call. I don't take that to mean they are closing it down on the 20th though. It also says there will be a 6 month period where avios can be transfered. From when? The 20th?

If there is a drop dead date (i.e., "Avios will close August 1st, please have everything moved by then or you will lose your avios on that date") I missed. Apologies if that is the case!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
Originally Posted by ringingup
It is explained in the FAQs on this page:

With the Booking.com bookings, the Avios dont show as pending until the stay (At least for me anyway)

I have a whole load of hotel bookings over the next 8 months with Booking.com, all of which have my Avios membership number against them. but none of which are showing in my pending avios at present.
Im guessing this is because they are cancel-able bookings.

Any thoughts as to how this would work?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by holloway1000
With the Booking.com bookings, the Avios dont show as pending until the stay (At least for me anyway)

I have a whole load of hotel bookings over the next 8 months with Booking.com, all of which have my Avios membership number against them. but none of which are showing in my pending avios at present.
Im guessing this is because they are cancel-able bookings.

Any thoughts as to how this would work?
Transactions should track and appear as pending within a few days from making the booking. They will then be confirmed after the stay.

I’m not sure what you mean with the booking having the Avios number in them? Are we not talking about the estore here?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by chistery
Quieter here than I expected. Having this as a sticky is good, but it also probably means a lot of people miss it as they skip past the stuck posts and go to the discussions.
I missed initially, so I certainly agree there ^.
headingwest likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
Originally Posted by ringingup

Transactions should track and appear as pending within a few days from making the booking. They will then be confirmed after the stay.

I’m not sure what you mean with the booking having the Avios number in them? Are we not talking about the estore here?

The conformation emails from Booking.com list the stay details along with my Avios membership number and the expected amount of Avios i will receive.

These dont show as pending on the Avios Estore pending transactions.

I have 10 bookings, all showing my Avios number in the email conformation, none of the upcoming ones are showing as pending,

I have just finished a stay a couple of weeks ago, and this one is showing as pending in the Avios EStore.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by metoo1
If there is a drop dead date (i.e., "Avios will close August 1st, please have everything moved by then or you will lose your avios on that date") I missed. Apologies if that is the case!
Anyway, you'll not lose them even if you miss the deadline, they say the Avios will be transferred to your BAEC account. I think 1 month is ok to do your exercise with the household account, just start now, create all the accounts, merge, wait a little, not a few months and so on...
But you can do a similar thing with BAEC only, form a HHA and use your friend's avios for flights. They'll not be entirely yours though, he may quit for example.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by neuromancer
Anyway, you'll not lose them even if you miss the deadline, they say the Avios will be transferred to your BAEC account.
No, metoo1 is asking about if you opt out from the transfer to BAEC. In that case you would have six months to spend them within the Avios platform or (I suppose) transfer them manually, failing which they will presumably be lost.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:30 pm

For me the biggest loss here will be from Hilton reservations made through the avios.com estore.

At the moment all of my current reservations have tracked and show as pending so I should be ok according to the FAQ but I've taken screenshots and saved the data to a spreadsheet just in case.

Not sure if / where I can make up for that earning stream in the future as Hilton will not be a partner of the BAEC store and going through one of the third party hotel sites will nuetralise Hhonors status benefits.

In the meantime I've cleared out my Avios.com balance over to BAEC but my Iberia balance is stuck due to me falling foul of the Spanish second surname issue. Will call iberia tomorrow.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
I've just got the personal email, which says that I don't have a BAEC account so one will be opened for me. This is surprising given I've moved Avios between BAEC and Avios before. I don't see any way to advise Avios that I have a BAEC account. Maybe I have to wait and then merge the accounts after the new one has been opened, but I don't see any guidance on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.