Wiki Posts
Search

UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:02 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme Changes

Just to let you know today Avios Group (AGL) Limited have announced that it is closing the UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme in the coming months. All Avios Travel Rewards Programme Members, who don’t currently belong to another qualifying airline loyalty programme, will be welcomed into the British Airways Executive Club. Executive Club Members who are not also part of the UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme are not affected.For more information go to avios.com/travelrewards
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
hi,

thanks for that, british airways executive club.

guess I will be transferring my avios to my baec account

regards

tbs
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:38 am
Suspended

JUST IN: Avios Travel Rewards programme to be transfered to BA Executive Club

As per Business Traveller article
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Or their website: https://www.avios.com/gb/en_gb/about...me-is-changing

You may have heard the news. In the coming months, the UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme will close, but Avios, the currency, will remain. As part of the closure, some of our customers will be moving to the British Airways Executive Club. You’ll still be able to collect and spend your Avios in many of the same ways, plus there’ll be lots of exciting new benefits coming your way.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting...did we see this coming?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:42 am
Suspended

Can not edit my original post. Here I am quoting Business Traveller for some details:

Originally Posted by Business Traveller
According to a press release “New British Airways Executive Club accounts will begin to be set up for customers from early summer 2018 (unless they already have one, in which case they can chose to transfer their Avios across now) and the British Airways Executive Club will be in touch with customers’ new account details and how to activate it”.

Balances held at avios.com will then be moved across to Executive Club accounts by the end of July.

Members can opt out of transferring Avios, but they must do so by May 20, and will then have six months to spend their balance.

Note that the loyalty programmes of Vueling and Aer Lingus use the Avios platform, and will continue to do so after the closure of the UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme.

So what does this mean for the individual customers? Well, Avios says that Travel Rewards Programme members will gain 11 additional collection / redemption airline partners, as well as “60,000 additional partner hotels” and “50,000 additional sightseeing experiences” when their accounts are moved over to the Executive Club.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think there's are lot to come that we haven't seen yet!

This might have interesting implications for those of us who can't earn Avios in various ways because we're not residing in the UK.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well I think there was some speculation, though it may have reached into darker areas of the collective thought process.

In terms of commentary, it may be best to hang on a bit, I suspect some more announcements / official communications are going to be made today.

In the mean time, there is an FAQ on the Avios site (same link as above) about the changes, including "exciting new partners". One side effect is that Flybe is getting an Avios.com mini site like Aer Lingus and Vueling.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 9, 2018 at 1:52 am Reason: fast moving morning!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
This might have interesting implications for those of us who can't earn Avios in various ways because we're not residing in the UK.
Or they just cut ties with UK partners/limit accrual to UK residents. Difficult to say at this point.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:53 am

Interesting. First thought: will this end up creating lots of duplicate BAEC accounts? E.g. I currently route my transfers through IB as Avios.com won't let me transfer directly to BAEC. As such am I likely to find myself with a new pointless BAEC account set up by Avios because their IT doesn't see my existing one?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:57 am
Suspended

I had a look at BA eStore compare with Avios eStore. I think I will be pissed off.

1, In Avios.com eStore, I can click and book hotels with IHG, Hilton, Best Western and others to accumulate Avios based on spending as well as hotel points as it is booked direct. A nice double dip. In BA.com eStore the travel section is poor and this path will be closed if BA.com does not improve its offering.
2, Some interesting eStore on Avios.com is not available on BA.com. For example HolidayTaxis and Royal Caribbean.

I have to say unless BA.com eStore improve its offering by July this is definitely an enhancement (Downgrade).
ajamieson likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Interesting. First thought: will this end up creating lots of duplicate BAEC accounts? E.g. I currently route my transfers through IB as Avios.com won't let me transfer directly to BAEC. As such am I likely to find myself with a new pointless BAEC account set up by Avios because their IT doesn't see my existing one?
I'm in exactly the same boat. I can some 'orphan' Avios in Avios.com, which I cannot seem to get out, unfortunately.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:10 am

This will make problems for me unless I get rid of our household account. I will have no way of getting my Iberia Avios to my BAEC account without Avios.com.
Jetstreamer, boutela and hungry like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
If an Avios.com account with recent activity is merged into a BAEC account that has points expiring shortly, will the transfer reset the expiry date? Normally transfers don't effect expiry dates, but in this case the arriving points would have kept the Avios.com account valid for another 2 years plus.
(Older family member's account, so asking them to buy something from eStore isn't going to work. The plan was to transfer from BAEC to Avios.com, but that won't be possible)
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:16 am

Looks like no more Avios for train travel as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.