Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Why can’t they give a drink to everyone ? Sounds unfair to me.
hugolover and headingwest like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Whoop-de-doo! A free hot beverage to enjoy in a cramped seat, won’t change my mind not to renew Silver this year.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:50 pm

To be fair there were so many posts on here saying 'why can't they at least give a free tea or coffee to Golds?' Now they are actually trialling this it is surprising to see the scathing response!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
A while back, when I just moved up from Silver to Gold, I was offered a free drink from the CE bar (while seated in ET) during both my outbound and inbound leg of my flight to LIS from LHR.

While I indeed appreciated very much the gesture, I would not find this easy to execute on busy business trips for all BAEC premium members. There are routes (like FRA, for instance) where Silvers/Golds are a huge proportion of the passengers and it would be somehow embarrassing for FA to give out freebies to some, while asking money to others.

Just give everyone free coffee or tea and provide food/alcohol for a fee.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I love the idea that a good tactic to improve the NPS is to offer a nice cup of tea to passengers. There's something quintessentially British about that.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
To be fair there were so many posts on here saying 'why can't they at least give a free tea or coffee to Golds?' Now they are actually trialling this it is surprising to see the scathing response!
My thoughts exactly.

I personally (and I mean personally with my own money) chose to fly CE so that I can avoid BoB. That’s my choice.

Free tea or coffee if you can’t or chose not to do that sounds fair enough.
ttama and thebigben like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 5, 2018 at 2:04 am Reason: Remove remark that triggered a diversionary discussion
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Easiest way is to send a scannable voucher as part of check in procedure to each Silver, Gold end Economy Flex passengers with an amount to be used on BoB. Otherwise, the barcode could be used by those passengers to buy an item for free from BoB. That way cabin crew wouldn‘t worry about who‘s eligible or not.
shefgab and kennynik like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by godsavethepoints
from what I've heard internally, that's specifically why it was chosen. One of the highest elite yielding routes, with short flight time. If it can be done there, it can be done anywhere. Apparently crew are less than thrilled...
Originally Posted by nivsy
Why are crew less than thrilled? Because they have to work doing good or drink serving or because they oteferwalking down the aisle waving a Bob card in front of everyone?
Because they will lose some of the commission from what would have previously been sales?

The fact that this makes their job more complicated?

The fact that they will have to deal with the grief from passengers who wonder why they have to pay but another doesn't.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by makin'miles
At the BA event in Tel Aviv this fall, Cruz mentioned that they were looking at providing some sort of free offering to status passengers travelling short-haul in economy. He was well aware that oneworld partners treated BA status travellers down the back better than BA. Presumably this stems from that review.
Indeed I remember discussing it with him there, and the fact that AA offer it.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:50 pm

tea and coffee is a start, but a G&T is what we really want. The idea of silver and gold members getting a scannable voucher for a free drink is a nice idea and way not to make it awkward for passengers and crew.
godsavethepoints likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:30 pm

No one cares about tea or coffee, where are the lemon biscuits?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Originally Posted by Calum
No one cares about tea or coffee, where are the lemon biscuits?
​​​​​​​The day I realised I could actually buy a box of these biscuits in my local supermarket was a good day.
Calum likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Or you could go to Seychelles.

HIDDY, Skipcool3, florens and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Fantastic to hear about this initiative, a cup of tea goes a long way in my world when it comes to loyalty (or patience/forgiveness when part of the trip might not have gone entirely smoothly)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Or you could go to Seychelles.
That does not sound like a cost-effective way to acquire 2 biscuits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.