Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Wow. So they take away all free drinks and free snacks. Then they give us back a free tea or coffee on one route, for some flights and we're meant to come flocking back in gratitude?

Pathetic.
Nope: the flocking back in gratitude is something you have made up, to post here, and then get offended at. Flyer Talk never fails to amaze me.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:26 pm

Just to clarify, this runs out tomorrow, on selected LHR-GVA flights that have less than a certain number of card holders in traveller. All BAEC Prem, GGL, Gold, and Silver card holders and one travelling companion will be offered a complimentary drink from the M&S range (excluding champagne).

Sounds good so far. Bear in mind no extra stock is being loaded on, so we have been running out of items irritating both those being offered a free item, and those wanting to pay. The process to record the complimentary items on the ipad is a faff, slowing the service down, meaning that there have been numerous reports of the BOB trolley not reaching the back of the cabin before the seatbelt signs being switched on. And as for time for duty free sales....... The rumours are that this is a trial to be rolled out network wide. Hopefully some soy chai latte sipping manager will listen to the feedback and streamline the whole service. We're still fighting with ipads that lose connection to the payment terminals and printers several times during the flight necessitating a hard reset. All we need is the tools to do the job we're asked to do.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Why can’t they give a drink to everyone ? Sounds unfair to me.
Agree. They should give everyone tea, coffee and water. They can keep BoB for the other offerings.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:17 pm

But other than that, it's perfect BWA Flyer?
bwaflyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bwaflyer
We're still fighting with ipads that lose connection to the payment terminals and printers several times during the flight necessitating a hard reset. All we need is the tools to do the job we're asked to do.
They still haven't fixed problems experienced since day 1? Frankly that is rubbish.
florens likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
bwaflyer (#62) paints a revealing picture as to what is actually happening at the coalface (insufficient stocks loaded .... primitive methods for recording complimentary drinks ... continued payment processing issues ...... time constraints) ; all from the perspective of crew whose prime interest is in getting the job done effciently & professionally, whilst providing a good service to their customers.

In stark contrast, Sr. Cruz has (on more than one occasion, I’m fairly sure) declared BoB to be a great success ; all from the perspective of a CEO whose prime interest is to count his savings, and of course the extra money coming in from ET pax.

It’s a little depressing that 15 months from launch, these issues have still not been addressed.

Last edited by subject2load; Apr 3, 2018 at 11:39 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by subject2load
all from the perspective of a CEO whose prime interest is to count his savings
And his pay packet...
florens, Dover2Golf and Pack like this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Or you could go to Seychelles.
Originally Posted by Calum
That does not sound like a cost-effective way to acquire 2 biscuits.
No, not remotely so.

But it sure is a profitable way for BA to provide 2 biscuits.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by BA6948
Thanks for the report and keep us posted...
Originally Posted by bwaflyer
Just to clarify, this runs out tomorrow, on selected LHR-GVA flights that have less than a certain number of card holders in traveller. All BAEC Prem, GGL, Gold, and Silver card holders and one travelling companion will be offered a complimentary drink from the M&S range (excluding champagne).
Flew back GVA-LHR on BA729 this afternoon. No free drinks for GCH / SCH and the crew had no idea what we were talking about. Flight was busy, with 10 full rows of CE and not a spare seat in sight. Shame - it was good whilst it lasted...
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by lorath

Elites know it’s coming, so a “Mr. Lorath, what can I get you” in AA speak means this is for free.

As oppose to an occasional CSM gold greeting along the lines of .... anything I can do to make your flight more comfortable....(is he offering me a kir royale from CW or not?)
Originally Posted by florian
From my experience they thank the passenger for their loyalty and then ask if they would want something complimentary from the bar.
This makes it somewhat obvious to other passengers that the freebie relates to the loyalty of the passenger.
I find I have to ask for it about half of the time. They then have a quick look at their iPad, or take my word for it.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:07 pm

On Australia’s Jetstar*- which I sometimes use for a particular route not covered by Qantas - certain fare types (Maxi and/or Flex, think they’re called ....) include an “in-flight voucher” to be applied against the cost of food & drink from the trolley. You can also pay separately for such vouchers, at time of booking, if you’ve selected the very cheapest fare type.

IIRC the voucher entitlement is mentioned within the BP, but I soon discovered that you don’t actually need to present it onboard, simply because the FA’s are very adept at identifying eligible pax from seat numbers ; and then pro-actively offering a choice of F&B items. Works well, and means you don’t have to fiddle around for cash/cards.

(*am talking about their domestic network ... never used them for international, so no idea what happens there)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by subject2load
On Australia’s Jetstar*- which I sometimes use for a particular route not covered by Qantas - certain fare types (Maxi and/or Flex, think they’re called ....) include an “in-flight voucher” to be applied against the cost of food & drink from the trolley. You can also pay separately for such vouchers, at time of booking, if you’ve selected the very cheapest fare type.

IIRC the voucher entitlement is mentioned within the BP, but I soon discovered that you don’t actually need to present it onboard, simply because the FA’s are very adept at identifying eligible pax from seat numbers ; and then pro-actively offering a choice of F&B items. Works well, and means you don’t have to fiddle around for cash/cards.

(*am talking about their domestic network ... never used them for international, so no idea what happens there)
indeed, that is very easily sorted out on most airlines. Air Asia does the same (and most Asian low cost). If you booked a fare that includes a meal/drink or purchased one in advance, you are on the crew list , when they arrive at your seat, they may ask to check your boarding pass or your identity and will then give you your freebies. I believe that nowadays NZ does the same on trans-tasman flights. On AA, AY, SK, etc your status is listed on the crew ipad or if you are missed you can show them your card and they will give you what you are entitled to and make a note.

Quite frankly, the argument of technical difficulties/implementation is a complete non-starter, if there is will there is a way, and I hope that BA will confirm that there is a will.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
A little interesting comparison last week:

Flew Finnair LHR HEL return Economy HBO fare:

As a OWE allowed one check in bag.

Pre seat selection as per BA

Pro actively offered newspapers from business class on both sectors.

Personal greeting on both flights.

All Economy passengers get tea / coffee/ water/ bilberry juice. Emeralds proactively offered any other beverage from BOB menu including bottles of champagne normally charged at 15 euros as complimentary; appears on their ipads.

Even offered a second one on return flight.

Delightful crew.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
I've been offered a complementary drink on today's BA949, although it was presented as part of a 'Easter promotion' - did not go terribly well with the passenger next to me, who apparently was not included in the promotion and had just paid for her (identical) tea... a very nice gesture nonetheless, and it made me somewhat nostalgic about the good ol'times (read: free double G&Ts) ...
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Last few flights to Helsinki/LHR on BA I have been offered any free drink and given a bottle of water on the BA0799. One time I asked for a bottle of water and when asked to pay the £1.80 reacted baffled and was given it after I explained that drinks had been complimentary on previous flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.