Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Finavia
. One time I asked for a bottle of water and when asked to pay the £1.80 reacted baffled and was given it after I explained that drinks had been complimentary on previous flights.
Which neatly encapsulates the problem with this "trial". By being unadvertised we are not aware of when it starts/ends, and unlike with occasional travellers, it's just possible that a Gold cardholder may do more than one flight a month. And even remember what happen on the previous sector. I'm sure we can all cope with promotions coming and going once we have been lovingly told by that nice Mr. Hillier, but not mysterious gifts arriving at random times.
Finavia likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Last few flights to Helsinki/LHR on BA I have been offered any free drink and given a bottle of water on the BA0799. One time I asked for a bottle of water and when asked to pay the £1.80 reacted baffled and was given it after I explained that drinks had been complimentary on previous flights.
Huh? Have BA been informally trialling this on HEL flights then? Or have you just had a mysterious charm with every crew (bar one)? How long ago were these flights where you got free drinks?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BA
We are also doing it on other select routes, i'll keep it a secret for now to avoid disappointment. It's only for BA golds and silvers and is from the BOB stock including tea, coffee, alcoholic and soft drinks. It includes a drink for a companion travelling together. The only side note is that it does not include champagne.

Last edited by BABenchley; Apr 5, 2018 at 9:16 am
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Originally Posted by Deltus
Huh? Have BA been informally trialling this on HEL flights then? Or have you just had a mysterious charm with every crew (bar one)? How long ago were these flights where you got free drinks?
25 Feb BA798- Champagne for myself and companion and offered a 2nd drink. 13 March BA795- given a bottle of water and offered anything else. 24 March BA 795- greeting and drink offers. Seems to be hit and miss though as have flown more of the HEL routes but offered nothing. Travelling BA799 tomorrow and then to Budapest Saturday, I shall report back but it seems to me that the HEL route may have been doing this for a while.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BA

25 Feb BA798- Champagne for myself and companion and offered a 2nd drink. 13 March BA795- given a bottle of water and offered anything else. 24 March BA 795- greeting and drink offers. Seems to be hit and miss though as have flown more of the HEL routes but offered nothing. Travelling BA799 tomorrow and then to Budapest Saturday, I shall report back but it seems to me that the HEL route may have been doing this for a while.

I think that's just a crew member being nice looking after you, I don't think it's related to this trial.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by BABenchley
I think that's just a crew member being nice looking after you, I don't think it's related to this trial.
Must be the mysterious charm I seem to have that was referred to, as it’s been several crew members. 😜
BABenchley likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BABenchley
We are also doing it on other select routes, i'll keep it a secret for now to avoid disappointment. It's only for BA golds and silvers and is from the BOB stock including tea, coffee, alcoholic and soft drinks. It includes a drink for a companion travelling together. The only side note is that it does not include champagne.
Well, am flying my most usual route tomorrow, with the family. We are all Silver and above so it'll be pretty clear whether that route is included or not

Pre-this trial, I've a few times ordered and paid for my tea or coffee, only for the SCCM to come down the aisle once the trolley has departed my row, asking if I need anything. By this time my fresh (paid for) cup of tea is sitting on my table so it kind of makes the kind offer somewhat mis-timed.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:21 pm

If selected route/flights/aircraft are being selected to trial these initiatives, you can bet that they will be conducting sampling analysis from customer scores when they come back. Therefore, if anyone has received this and liked it, definitely send in your comments, either in standalone feedback or ideally in the full survey if you're sent it. The more positive noise made about it, the more likely it is to be made permanent.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
If selected route/flights/aircraft are being selected to trial these initiatives, you can bet that they will be conducting sampling analysis from customer scores when they come back. Therefore, if anyone has received this and liked it, definitely send in your comments, either in standalone feedback or ideally in the full survey if you're sent it. The more positive noise made about it, the more likely it is to be made permanent.
Feedback is always useful.

But here’s the thing : would it not make sense - certainly from a customer perspective (albeit maybe not for BA’s bottom line, in the short-term) - to simply make it permanent without further ado ? Is it really necessary to validate the attraction of this gesture by “conducting sampling analysis from customer scores ....” ??

If my local pub ever decided to make a similar gesture, I’m pretty sure I already know what the answer to any associated survey* would be.

*(We have been trialling a special arrangement whereby free drinks are provided to our best customers. Please let us know whether

a) you are happy about this OR

b you would prefer to pay instead)

Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Well CPH appears not to be one of the trial routes. All 4 of family TT1F (all appropriately shiny) roundly ignored by CC today. In fact the SCCM didn’t even show his face beyond the cabin divider curtain for the entire flight.4 soft drinks and I’m over £10 down on the deal 😢😩
TPRun likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Spoiler alert

They were doing it on LHR-GLA tonight. It definitely seemed to be any drink rather than just water/tea/coffee, and for you plus your travelling companion, but I opted for water and was on my own so I don't know for sure. I thought it was great and I hope it continues.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:55 pm

Not on the HEL route. Was happily acknowledged during the BOB run and asked for 2 coffees. Was charged for both despite only 3 of us gold in ET. I knew this as I saw the names of the three of us with seat numbers scribbled on a piece of paper whilst waiting for the lavatory. Plane was also delayed nearly 1 hour. Well done BA, you really know how not to look after your most loyal customers!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Is BA getting worried as Lufthansa showed no interest of following the BOB trend?

I always insist free coffee, tea and water for everyone is the better way.

Oh well time will tell.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:29 pm

So now if we order a tea or coffee we dont know whether we must pay for it or not. Do the cabin Crew make an announcement this is a free drinks flight for Gold and Silver or do we need to ask them before we order?

Are the ticket prices on the free drinks routes going to be Higher? Can BA get any more confusing?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by florian
From my experience they thank the passenger for their loyalty and then ask if they would want something complimentary from the bar.
This makes it somewhat obvious to other passengers that the freebie relates to the loyalty of the passenger.
Added to which is the fact that AA still give all passengers a non-alocoholic drink and small snack so the offer of an alcoholic drink and more substantial snack to EXP's isn't as apparent to others as it would be on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.