Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
It would probably make sense for short-haul avios economy tickets to have no baggage allowance attached to them. No matter the elite status of the traveller(s). This is the case for short-haul AA avios-made bookings isn't it?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by AdBoy
It would probably make sense for short-haul avios economy tickets to have no baggage allowance attached to them. No matter the elite status of the traveller(s). This is the case for short-haul AA avios-made bookings isn't it?
Nope - oneworld elites get carry-on from memory Least I hope for my flights in November anyway
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by teledude
Nope - oneworld elites get carry-on from memory Least I hope for my flights in November anyway
checked*
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
My personal contribution to the speculation:

(a) Gaining and retaining status
CCR qualification 7500 TPs, no minimum flight criteria
CCR re-qualification 7500 TPs, no minimum flight criteria
GGL qualification 5000 TPs, 8 eligible flights
GGL re-qualification 5000 TPs, 8 eligible flights
Gold qualification 2500 TPs, 6 eligible flights
Gold re-qualification 1500 TPs, 6 eligible flights
Silver qualification 1000 TPs, 4 eligible flights
Silver re-qualification 600 TPs, 4 eligible flights
Bronze qualification 500 TPs, 2 eligible flights
Bronze re-qualification 300 TPs, 2 eligible flights

(b) Selling class earning rates
All BA flights earn at current rates
I and R-class sectors on other OW carriers: earning rate reduced by 25% (from 160 / 140 / 80 / 40 to 120 / 105 / 60 / 30)

(c) Downgrading
No more soft landing from current Tier - your status next year relies on your earnings this year.

(d) Guesting
Numbers of guests unchanged but they must be travelling on an eligible OW flight which departs with 90 minutes of your own

(e) Avios Earning and Burning
Earning rates unchanged but dynamic pricing introduced - peak/off-peak calendar refined (a la AAdvantage) to allow multiple charging levels

I don't know a single soul at BA, so the above is completely out of my head... but it's what I would do if the brief I was given was:

(1) Throttle count of qualifications and re-qualifications into each Tier by x%
(2) Drive customer carrier choice away from other OW and towards BA
(3) Drive customer fare purchasing behaviour up the value chain (e.g. from non-flex to more flex, from Econ -> Prem Econ -> Club -> First)
(4) Drive down the F&B costs in BA-owned lounges by y%
(5) Devalue the un-redeemed Avios liability by z%
If I had to make similar guesses, my ticket would go something like this:

CCR&GGL qualification & renewal 6000 TPs, at least 2500 TPs from BA marketed flights
Gold qualification & renewal 2000 TPs, 6 eligible flights
Silver qualification & renewal 600 TPs, 4 eligible flights
Bronze qualification & renewal 300 TPs, 2 eligible flights

(b) Selling class earning rates
All BA flights earn at current rates for TPs
Avios earning on BA AT 5/7/9/11 (Blue/Bronze/Silver/Gold) Avios/£
Avios on partner flights as currently based on flight distance and selling class

(c) Downgrading
No Change.

(d) Guesting
Numbers of guests unchanged but for BA card holders guest must be on the same flight.
Partner OW S/E holders rules as per oneworld (1 guest, no same flight req.)

(e) Avios Burning
Dynamic pricing introduced - You can still redeem at current rates if availability in Avios exists, if not you can redeem at dynamic rate as per segment cost.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:56 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Grace B
Well yes, and I tend to believe what our learned members are saying. But we'll see...
Originally Posted by Grace B
You're right, but there doesn't seem to be much doubt that there will be changes, which will likely disadvantage BAEC members.
This is a forum board. There has been plenty of "stuff will happen and I know this because XXX told me" thread that lead to no changes or no announcements. Skepticism is healthy here.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
If I had to make similar guesses, my ticket would go something like this:

CCR&GGL qualification & renewal 6000 TPs, at least 2500 TPs from BA marketed flights
Gold qualification & renewal 2000 TPs, 6 eligible flights
Silver qualification & renewal 600 TPs, 4 eligible flights
Bronze qualification & renewal 300 TPs, 2 eligible flights
So at the approximate and previously referenced 5000 GGL's and 500 CCR's, this would at a stroke reduce the combined total to say 300?..... a 94% reduction? Seems harsh,
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
My money's on a combined GGL/CCR membership level which requires 5,000 TPs for entry and annual renewal. Probably branded "Concorde".
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Lolbert
My money's on a combined GGL/CCR membership level which requires 5,000 TPs for entry and annual renewal. Probably branded "Concorde".
that is very likely in my opinion too, whether it’s at current 5k or more or with BA proportion requirement hangs in the balance...
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Agreed, but with a raised BA flight count
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Which could potentially work out well for me if I pushed to get CCR this year and then fell to Gold next year rather than Silver
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
Agreed. I've been saying to expect this for months now. It also wouldn't surprise me if the number of BA flights required for this level was increased. As it stands, with around 7k GGL members and 300-500 CCR card holders, a change to 5,000 tier points for GGL would reduce the number in that tier massively, aligning with BA's plans to provide a more focused service on higher spending customers. My bigger concern is what will happen to Avios earning and spend rates.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Agreed. I've been saying to expect this for months now. It also wouldn't surprise me if the number of BA flights required for this level was increased. As it stands, with around 7k GGL members and 300-500 CCR card holders, a change to 5,000 tier points for GGL would reduce the number in that tier massively, aligning with BA's plans to provide a more focused service on higher spending customers. My bigger concern is what will happen to Avios earning and spend rates.
I actually wouldn't be that bothered if the GGL/CCR thresholds were combined at 5K per annum however I would expect a significant increase in service levels on the ground in response to this. As others noted above, having had GGL/CCR for 2yrs (with a significant amount of flying on BA ) I have yet to have any interaction with anybody on the ground that would have made my ground experience a little more enjoyable. Key times when recognition would have been appreciated include T3-T5 transfers when flying in F (although AA have offered this to me!) and T5A to T5C transfers while on crutches as the CCR staff offered a wheelchair but laughed at the idea of SS perhaps locating a car for a one off transfer. Sadly, I expect the thresholds to increase and the minimal interaction to continue regardless of how 'elite' they make GGL/CCR.

Pilot37
fin_dg likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
The GGL numbers are going ebb over the next few years, with those who have pushed the boat out to hang in there since the AA tier point realignment not all prepared, or able, to do so year after year, and with the consequence of missing the 3,000 tier point renewal that then requires 5,000 to re-qualify. I'd have thought dumping circa 6,500 GGL members down to Gold may have a cost in bruised egos, and, Polynesian tier point runners aside, this is a valuable customer group. The less valuable can be weeded out with minimum spend and/or BA metal requirements, although I don't see the value in the latter unless limited to long-haul sectors.

GGL is in any event a pseudo tier, with some useful but not stunning benefits, so another option would be to leave GGL as is, or with some tweaks, and create a new tier combined with Premier that would align with CK, and possibly a new OW status, with reciprocal benefits.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL
My feeling as well on this, hope they don't raise the requirement past 6,000 TP's . They could remove CCR and just call it GGL, make it 5000 TP's to attain.

Last edited by baflyer123; Mar 9, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
This may be relevant to this post. I have just received an e-mail from Lufthansa Miles and More that they are changing to a revenue based system for their points. This will be starting on 12 March. "From that date your miles will be allocated based on the fare".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.