Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just realised that I've flown on Titan Airways before. Quite a few years ago, but the cabin seems the same. It was from BCN to LON - a private charter with a few Formula 1 teams.

EVERYBODY had hand luggage with them. But these were travel veterans. Never before or since have I experienced a faster disembarkation. That there was enough room for everybody's Team issued cabin cases would have helped.

Feel less apprehensive about the coming flights now!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LapLap
Will these Titan A320 be able to cope with the huge amounts of carry on we can expect on these summer routes?
Yes, their holds are plenty big enough for everyone's bag to be gate-tagged
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Yes, their holds are plenty big enough for everyone's bag to be gate-tagged
I'm fine with that. The apprehension is when there's no room on board. I've been on a Norwegian flight from ALC to the UK and it got really, REALLY ugly
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Just wondering if anyone has any news/rumours regarding increased frequencies/new routes since first batch was announced a few days ago. Having had a quick look at the schedules I estimate that maybe about half of the extra 150 flights a week have been allocated. With more 787s being delivered next year I hope this frees up another couple of 777s for Gatwick. Regarding the use of Titan and CityFlyer, I believe that this will continue to about September. By then new A320 family deliveries will allow extra A319 and I believe the sharklet A320s to be gradually moved to Gatwick. Incidentally I have flown Titan on a BA service and found them very acceptable. Thanks in advance for any news you able to report.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:01 am

As well as sourcing new aircraft, BA needs to train new pilots. Before the plebs can be trained, (no disrespect to the esteemed members here), the new trainers need to be trained. That process is now underway ready for a decent recruitment and training season. No doubt matters will be sorted in plenty of time for KARFA's annual simulator bash.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:34 am
Suspended

I won't be surprised if LGW-LPA appears as a winter 18/19 route to replace Iberia Express LPA-LHR route.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
BA Flight Training doesn't let the public play with the electric jet simulators, we only get steam-powered Boeings.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Maybe I'm spoiled by the T5 First Wing experience, but every time I've been through Gatwick South since the move from North, the experience has been anything but decent. (Better than North was with no lounge, mind you, but still a long way off T5/T3)

My biggest gripe is "premium security". They always seem to insist on feeding 75% non-premium customers in the queue from round the side, which means there's always a wait, always too many trays trying to get through, and importantly always loads of non-regular travellers who don't know + don't listen to the rules. Every time one of my trays is selected for secondary inspection, which means a 20+ minute wait because there's so many waiting to be scanned. Last time, my tray with coat + ipad + laptop had been bumped a lot waiting to get through the x-ray, and my coat had ended up partly covered the ipad. Apparently that was enough to mean it got sent to secondary and a very long wait and a re-scan! In general through, bags which routinely get through all Heathrow terminals (any many other EU airports) without problems are pulled for secondary at Gatwick, and somehow the Gatwick staff make the T5 security staff seem friendly and efficient...

Add in the late opening of the First lounge at LGW, to my ever raised blood pressure when dealing with LGW "premium" security, and you'll see why I pick LHR over LGW when Heathrow is anything up to 50 quid more, and why the other half prefers Heathrow to nearer a hundred quid price difference!
I could not agree with you less. I have never had a problem at LGW, and I have no problems with people being put through when there are few Premium Lane passengers around. I find the staff more than pleasant, rather than the Po-faced miserable lot at T5. Just the other day I had to have both my pieces of hand luggage examined. It took a maximum of 10 minutes, although I was not standing there timing them. I usually allow lots of time to go through airports, although this can be thwarted by problems when traveling to the airport.

As for the Gold Lounge in LGW - I have no problem with this at all. It is usually quieter than T5 and I for one prefer it.has it been a while since you were there?
ajamieson and SussexFly like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I could not agree with you less. I have never had a problem at LGW, and I have no problems with people being put through when there are few Premium Lane passengers around. I find the staff more than pleasant, rather than the Po-faced miserable lot at T5. Just the other day I had to have both my pieces of hand luggage examined. It took a maximum of 10 minutes, although I was not standing there timing them. I usually allow lots of time to go through airports, although this can be thwarted by problems when traveling to the airport.

As for the Gold Lounge in LGW - I have no problem with this at all. It is usually quieter than T5 and I for one prefer it.has it been a while since you were there?
Last in LGW a week ago! That was mid afternoon, and wasn't too bad - they didn't seem to be funneling too many non-premium passengers through premium security, not too many bags waiting for secondary, and thankfully while my bag got sucked back into the X-Ray machine it didn't get spat out to secondary.

The previous two times (IIRC December and October) were both fairly early morning, both had loads of non-premium passengers being put through premium security, waits for security because of that, secondary so full it was blocking other bags coming through, and one of my trays pulled each time. Oh, and then finally making it to the lounge to find that the First Lounge wouldn't open until just before my flight left. (That's my LGW GF complaint)

I still much prefer the BAEC Gold experience at Heathrow (T3 or T5, though T5's better), I'd rate mid-afternoon at LGW not far off T3, and early morning LGW as a noticably worse experience than Chennai (MAA) domestic on a busy Sunday or Bengaluru (BLR) domestic on a Friday night. About the only experience recently I'd say that is worse than LGW early morning is Goa on a Sunday night...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I had what my policeman husband called "a right barny" in LGW North security before the move. My husband has had a hip replacement (it hasn't made him any more hip but that's probably because he had it done in France) and so always triggers off the alram and has to have secondary screening. No big deal. The problem was that when he got to the end of the conveyor bringing stuff out of the bag scanner - his bag had gone. I had not seen him emerge but had spotted one of the guards moving his bag onto the tables behind. By the time that I got to HI, he was somewhat concerned. The attitude and the indifference of the people made me furious (one made the mistake of shrugging his shoulders and just walking away when I tried to speak to him). I went straight to the office and a Manager came out. He was actually very pleasant and very apologetic. What I learned was this

1) The reason that they move people between is to try and get people through as fast as they can. This is LGW management policy. They insist that the people be processed as fast as possible

2) The reason that the bag was moved as it was holding up the stuff coming out of the scanner and so was threatening complying with the above

3) That room (and I imagine others) is , he said, festooned with`CCTV and if anyone walked off with your bag they'd know who it was at once.

I'm sharing that as your point Gagravarr my love, is most valid. The Lounge, I understand as well. It's happened to me and I've been booted out (in the nicest possible way) as it closed before my ALC left, and some of those ALC flights used to leave at hours when a respectable woman should still be tucked up in her bed whilst her husband made her morning tea.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
BA Flight Training doesn't let the public play with the electric jet simulators, we only get steam-powered Boeings.
Which are also going to be busy for a while, as a number of new Captains shift over from the Airbus fleet.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
3) That room (and I imagine others) is , he said, festooned with`CCTV and if anyone walked off with your bag they'd know who it was at once.
Aaarghhh, that's such an annoying statement for these security setups that don't keep all your trays together (Hello Edinburgh, I'm looking at you in particular, grrrr)
So if a bag or items do go missing, they can identify the culprit?
That would be fine, if there wasn't for a getaway plane, and by the time you realise something isn't in the right place, too late...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Can anyone fathom out the logic in sending the sharklet A320s from LHR to LGW?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
Can anyone fathom out the logic in sending the sharklet A320s from LHR to LGW?
The new A320/321 neo's will go to LHR leaving the A320 sharklets to go to LGW. There are a number of longer services from LGW with the new slots,and I suppose the better fuel economy with the sharklet aircraft will help with the thin LGW margins. Just a guess though.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club

Ted to Toe.
My answer to your question would be, why not? LHR gets the neo A320/A321. Nothing wrong with Gatwick having some more recent aircraft. Rapidex I agree there are more frequent longer services from Gatwick. Furthermore the aircraft seem to be used more intensively.
As an aside it looks as though most LGW aircraft will retain the current seating standard. There will be outcries from the LHR elite to think the peasants of Gatwick maybe having a better time of it!!
Seriously though, some of the attitudes expressed by a few here towards Gatwick always make me smile. Personally I always find it just fine! The airport has really moved on.
The newer lounges, use of South Terminal, refurbished 777s, more A319/A320 aircraft and more destinations are all making the BA Gatwick experience more and more attractive.
SussexFly likes this.

Last edited by vectismanpaul; Jan 14, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.