Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BA6948
There are still many unallocated Monarch slots for this summer. When is BA going to announce new routes and increases?
We need NCL and MAN back
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Can one cancel if they change the operator this far out? Do they notify you or try to sneak it through?
You can move flight to another, BA operated, service and BA do send out emails (see the Aer Lingus thread). I don't think they offer a cancellation however.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Think GIB is back on the BA radar ex LGW - still a hard choice though between them and EZY - x2 low costs battling it out...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can move flight to another, BA operated, service and BA do send out emails (see the Aer Lingus thread). I don't think they offer a cancellation however.
That would be absolutely fine by me, and that is really what I meant. Could they turn around and say "there are no seats left in your class of fare"? I'm just curious as one wants to know what one's rights are given such a circumstance. Titan are one thing, an Italian charter carrier is quite another matter.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That would be absolutely fine by me, and that is really what I meant. Could they turn around and say "there are no seats left in your class of fare"? I'm just curious as one wants to know what one's rights are given such a circumstance. Titan are one thing, an Italian charter carrier is quite another matter.
No, but there would need to be space in the cabin, so CE/ET as applicable. From what I understand, the airline is aware that some people are nervous flyers, specifically select BA operated services and that changing operators can result in considerable difficulties. So they simply allow rebooking in this circumstance. One would need to call the Contact Centre to make the necessary arrangements. It's probably not going to work every time since if it's a one a day flight and the next day is also Germania then what? On the other hand some flights I doubt will be given to third parties (e.g. GIB and FNC).
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: British Airways Exec, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by florens
This will be BA's leased Titan A320 operation:
A few GIB flights are also Titan.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Working in aviation as long as I have now I’ve had the unfortunate pleasure to deal with some really dodgy chartered in airlines, in the intetest of professionalism I won’t name names but what I can say as I’ve dealt with Neos, who are the Italian version of what we know as Thomson or TUI over here. Titan, who are probably one of the biggest and best charter companies and Germania, who I’ve only dealt with a couple of times by the crew were spot on, lots of them were ex EZY and SAS, their ground ops guys are spot on too. We had them in twice over the space of a year and they still sent an auditor to visit us.
On the other hand I’ve seen some incredibly poor CRM, complete disregard for safety and utter contempt for ground and cabin crew from airlines that I know BA would never use, although other UK carriers have done and currently are using.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Titan are now flying the Porto service on a number of days. With only 1 flight per day there is nothing to change to
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird92A
Working in aviation as long as I have now I’ve had the unfortunate pleasure to deal with some really dodgy chartered in airlines, in the intetest of professionalism I won’t name names but what I can say as I’ve dealt with Neos, who are the Italian version of what we know as Thomson or TUI over here. Titan, who are probably one of the biggest and best charter companies and Germania, who I’ve only dealt with a couple of times by the crew were spot on, lots of them were ex EZY and SAS, their ground ops guys are spot on too. We had them in twice over the space of a year and they still sent an auditor to visit us.
On the other hand I’ve seen some incredibly poor CRM, complete disregard for safety and utter contempt for ground and cabin crew from airlines that I know BA would never use, although other UK carriers have done and currently are using.
Germania had a large ACMI operation with Air Berlin, with some 20 aircraft running quite satisfactorily for a number of years. Titan have hoovered up a number of experienced ex Monarch crews, and I have fond memories of Neos. I know the operation quite well, and the Flight ops side is very professional. They used to run their B737s to Mombasa, Brazil and the USA regularly, with suitable tech stops.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:05 am

Qatar is adding double daily LGW-DOH flights from May 2018. While not mentioned in the article, I strongly suspect this is a nice cosy deal to make use of a couple of the Monarch slots which IAG is clearly struggling to fill...

Article here (more details to come later today apparently): https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ondon-gatwick/

Keep an eye out for award space!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Qatar is adding double daily LGW-DOH flights from May 2018. While not mentioned in the article, I strongly suspect this is a nice cosy deal to make use of a couple of the Monarch slots which IAG is clearly struggling to fill...

Article here (more details to come later today apparently): https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ondon-gatwick/

Interesting! That would be an option to get from LGW to MLE, Maldives, during the low season when BA is not operating. The flights have not been loaded yet. Currently the LGW to MLE flights start of with a trip on the National Express bus to LHR.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Exec, Skywards, Qatar Priv Club
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

I'm seeing 3x daily on QatarAirways.com . Hoping the route does well - good news for those connecting onto some BA LGW leisure routes.

lfc84 and BlackSkyuk like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Darzifa
I'm seeing 3x daily on QatarAirways.com . Hoping the route does well - good news for those connecting onto some BA LGW leisure routes.
thank you Darzifa! Had another look and have now found the flights.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I believe to use the word 'struggling' to fill the slots at Gatwick gives the wrong impression. I am sure BA have ample ideas and plans. However aircraft and crews have to be put in place too and this takes time. The slots became available rather quickly. The Qatar slots may be leased from BA or they may not. At certain times of the day slots are easier to come by.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
I believe to use the word 'struggling' to fill the slots at Gatwick gives the wrong impression. I am sure BA have ample ideas and plans. However aircraft and crews have to be put in place too and this takes time. The slots became available rather quickly. The Qatar slots may be leased from BA or they may not. At certain times of the day slots are easier to come by.
What impression do you think 'not having aircraft and crew' gives, if not one of struggling to fill those slots?

Long term they will work it out. But short term - especially Summer 18 - they are struggling.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Mar 7, 2018 at 10:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.