FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1886226-ba-announces-biggest-gatwick-summer-schedule-10-years.html)

Boyfrombiot Jan 4, 2018 5:31 am

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

British Airways has announced its biggest Gatwick summer schedule in almost 10 years, after acquiring lucrative take-off and landing slots left free by the demise of Monarch.

In summer 2017 the airline operated around 1,000 flights a week at its peak out of Gatwick.

More than 150 additional weekly flights have been added from the airport for summer 2018.

Weekly flights to Malaga will be boosted from 27 to 35, Alicante from 14 to 22 and Faro from 17 to 21, while the airline's summer flights to Tenerife will increase from six per week to 13.

Madeira will be bolstered from six to nine per week and Lanzarote will rise from three to five flights per week.

BA chairman and CEO Alex Cruz said: "We are delighted to be able to further grow our presence at Gatwick by adding extra frequencies and improving our timetable.

"We are also introducing several new destinations to the Gatwick programme, including Palma (Majorca), Mahon (Menorca) and Gibraltar.

"We've also increased the number of routes we serve by more than 50 per cent; in 2012 we flew to 48 different destinations, whereas now we serve 74. This undoubtedly highlights our commitment and focus to growing our Gatwick operation."

UNQUOTE
Didnt see this mentioned anywhere on the forum.

Cheers
Steve

Globaliser Jan 4, 2018 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Boyfrombiot (Post 29248453)
Didnt see this mentioned anywhere on the forum.

For reference, the speculation thread is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ing-slots.html

It will be interesting to see where the aircraft come from.

cornishsimon Jan 4, 2018 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29248460)
For reference, the speculation thread is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ing-slots.html

think titan will be providing some lift for BA. Plus speculation that CFE will be showing up at crawley international.

Either way it’s nice to see a decent BA presence at gatters and great to see GIB back. I look forward to seeing the full Schulz when published.

cs

scottishpoet Jan 4, 2018 5:42 am

From other threads I read on here I understood that the A320-NEOs go to Heathrow and Heathrow 319s (and maybe some 320s) move to Gatters

but with a delay on some airframes there is speculation that the QR aircraft might be coming in to fill

Deltus Jan 4, 2018 5:45 am

The Monday rotations of LGW-MAH (Menorca) and Sundays of LGW-GIB flights are shown as "Operated by Titan Airways" on an A320.

Interestingly, they appear to be selling Club Europe on MAH, but all economy on GIB, unless they haven't loaded the fares yet...

EDIT: ah no, I can see CE to GIB as an option on BA.com, Google Flights hasn't caught up yet...

Globaliser Jan 4, 2018 5:48 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 29248487)
but with a delay on some airframes there is speculation that the QR aircraft might be coming in to fill

Although there was a report that that idea had been shelved: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29239123-post1918.html

Swissroll Jan 4, 2018 5:54 am

All that remains now is for BA to have Gatwick South burnt down and rebuilt into something fit for purpose

corporate-wage-slave Jan 4, 2018 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Swissroll (Post 29248530)
All that remains now is for BA to have Gatwick South burnt down and rebuilt into something fit for purpose

When did you last use LGW South on a BA service?

Castle25 Jan 4, 2018 6:07 am

so the new BA lounge is not too your taste then?
For those without lounge access there are far more catering options at LGW South than LHR T5/T3

Deltus Jan 4, 2018 6:07 am

With the exception of the boarding experience, LGW S is pretty good IMO. Proximity to the rail station, check-in experience and lounge are all as good as LHR T5, if not better.

rockflyertalk Jan 4, 2018 6:09 am

I may have imagined things but I thought BA already flew to GIB?

Great to see more AGP flights, although I assume this just covers the Monarch numbers as these pax will look to BA, FR, U2 on this route?

simons1 Jan 4, 2018 6:12 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 29248583)
I may have imagined things but I thought BA already flew to GIB?

From Heathrow.

The new routes are mostly bucket and spade stuff I would say.

IAMORGAN Jan 4, 2018 6:12 am

So Gatwick shorthaul is not being densified?! TBH LGW might be better than LHR now - if you get an ex-LHR 319 with flip down screens then seating will be better, fablounge at South Terminal, great groundstaff and some really good cabin crew as well.

Does BA still have an MD for Gatwick (I remember they brought in Silla Maizey a while ago, who I think is long gone, but someone has done well here).

tigertanaka Jan 4, 2018 6:14 am

This is the BA press release

British Airways - BIGGEST SUMMER SCHEDULE IN A DECADE AT GATWICK

rockflyertalk Jan 4, 2018 6:16 am

You can be off the train and in the very lovely new lounge all within 8-10mins at LGW S. It’s a pretty decent experience now. Some nice restaurants too if you don’t have lounge access. I did prefer the building structure at North airside to South but I rarely use check-in as a HBO traveller, so just a minor mute point really.

Once the 777s are refitted, CW gets new bedding, Do&Co catering and CE catering updated. LGW becomes a very good BA experience. (Just avoid short haul BoB, still not a fan of this overall but that’s my opinion and for another thread.)