Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Maybe I'm spoiled by the T5 First Wing experience, but every time I've been through Gatwick South since the move from North, the experience has been anything but decent. (Better than North was with no lounge, mind you, but still a long way off T5/T3)

My biggest gripe is "premium security". They always seem to insist on feeding 75% non-premium customers in the queue from round the side, which means there's always a wait, always too many trays trying to get through, and importantly always loads of non-regular travellers who don't know + don't listen to the rules. Every time one of my trays is selected for secondary inspection, which means a 20+ minute wait because there's so many waiting to be scanned. Last time, my tray with coat + ipad + laptop had been bumped a lot waiting to get through the x-ray, and my coat had ended up partly covered the ipad. Apparently that was enough to mean it got sent to secondary and a very long wait and a re-scan! In general through, bags which routinely get through all Heathrow terminals (any many other EU airports) without problems are pulled for secondary at Gatwick, and somehow the Gatwick staff make the T5 security staff seem friendly and efficient...

Add in the late opening of the First lounge at LGW, to my ever raised blood pressure when dealing with LGW "premium" security, and you'll see why I pick LHR over LGW when Heathrow is anything up to 50 quid more, and why the other half prefers Heathrow to nearer a hundred quid price difference!
Do you live near LGW?

I have not experienced this. As I said earlier unless you’re flying in July or August then you can get through most security etc in 10 mins. Sure, it can vary but with status or cabin it’s pretty speedy.

I find the LHR premium lanes worse as it’s just Premium. Whereas premium security mixed with general will work slightly better as the staff are congregated to keep everything moving. It’s a shame if this is your experience.

As for getting to LGW, the argument is the same, if travelling to LHR its a nightmare from southeast or Kent. So this is rather just a debate on how transport can be or will improved to connect Greater London. If you have ever tried to move from Kent to Surrey on TFL. It’s a bloody nightmare. Anyway I didn’t want to discuss all this as we are discussing LGW summer schedule.

So. LGW is looking a lot brighter in the future with all the changes to come. JER to LHR would be great to help the Ex-JER...
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:13 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
The biggest complainant when it was canned was Virgin Atlantic, whose crews used it to shuttle up and down (at staff rates). Some weeks, they were the biggest 'customer'.
If BA expand there would be more flights to feed int. I’ve got to LH and one MH out of LGW this year and I’m dreading the five to six hour drive from Manchester
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by tigertanaka

I think you are spot on with the idea of an E90 (for NCL too), guess BA hasn’t had to think about using small planes at LHR/LGW for a while (apart from when LCY is closed).
Think theres also an internal BA policy that prevents the use of CFE aircraft at LHR & LGW for scheduled routes which is why in the past on the odd occasion when they have been used it was set up as a wet lease from CFE to BA

cs
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

If BA expand there would be more flights to feed int. I’ve got to LH and one MH out of LGW this year and I’m dreading the five to six hour drive from Manchester
Are those to destinations not served by Virgin, Tui, TC or other operators from MAN?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
I am happy to be corrected but I believe there is an agreement with pilots in place that doesn't allow BA City Flyer to operate flights on a regular basis from London Gatwick or London Heathrow.
I also believe that is the reason why BA E190s operate with only 98 seats.
I think you're right re the agreement but thought that the 98 seats was more about crew numbers?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:20 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Are those to destinations not served by Virgin, Tui, TC or other operators from MAN?
They are but but BGI is in first and others are club. I’ve had terrible experiences with VS plus the MCO is a freebie paid by our son. Surely BA could run smaller aircraft like Iberia do with Air Nostrum to feed the two main hubs.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Do you live near LGW?

I have not experienced this. As I said earlier unless you’re flying in July or August then you can get through most security etc in 10 mins. Sure, it can vary but with status or cabin it’s pretty speedy.

I find the LHR premium lanes worse as it’s just Premium. Whereas premium security mixed with general will work slightly better as the staff are congregated to keep everything moving. It’s a shame if this is your experience.

As for getting to LGW, the argument is the same, if travelling to LHR its a nightmare from southeast or Kent. So this is rather just a debate on how transport can be or will improved to connect Greater London. If you have ever tried to move from Kent to Surrey on TFL. It’s a bloody nightmare. Anyway I didn’t want to discuss all this as we are discussing LGW summer schedule.

So. LGW is looking a lot brighter in the future with all the changes to come. JER to LHR would be great to help the Ex-JER...
As I've said above, there are times when LGW is really quick and easy. But I do sympathise with these complaints about fast track security. I've seen other queues being directed across to the premium line. And on one occasion I ended up being asked to take my phone out of my jacket pocket and put the phone in a tray all on its own which was then selected for secondary screening but was stuck on the secondary screening ramp because it was full of trays and so I had to wait a good - say - 7 minutes for them to apologise to me and say that it was someone new on screening who was a bit trigger happy. But 7 minutes more in the queue is 7 minutes less in the lounge drinking fizz so it feels more like 7 hours!

I wonder if overall there is still an image and status problem that Gatwick hasn't really overcome under its new ownership. In the old BAA days it was simply second placed to Heathrow. In recent years Heathrow has invested so that now only Terminal 3 looks like the Gatwick terminals. But Gatwick's new team market themselves as the local, friendly, tourist airport and not the fashionable, fast or business-oriented airport. So it just feels somehow suburban and sub-optimal. But the fact is that it is easy to get to and fast to get through if you know what you're doing (and have a fair wind through security).
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wondered why BA had come up as an attractive option for direct flights to Alicante this summer. I'm all booked now, but it's been way more than a decade since I last flew with BA on this route (without a detour through Madrid)
I live a 15 minute walk from Kings Cross/St Pancras so I LOVE using Gatwick. I hope the new Cambridge Service means that there will be even more Thameslink trains.
My parents actually prefer FR/U2 - they didn't like the BA flight times and prefer using Stansted or Southend. I am coming back alone with my travel hardened 8 year old on a BA flight arriving LGW at 2am (it's like going back to the old days - middle of the night flights to and from ALC with Dan Air.)
My parents are free from the School Term dates, so they decided on an FR flight departing at 10:30am or so.

Anyway, I'm glad that BA are finally a feasible choice again.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
This will be BA's leased Titan A320 operation:

British Airways in summer 2018 season is leasing Titan Airways A320 aircraft to support its operation at London Gatwick, operating on short-haul routes between late-May and late-September 2018. Following routes will see a mix of British Airways and Titan Airways A320 operations.

London Gatwick – Alicante
London Gatwick – Bari
London Gatwick – Dalaman
London Gatwick – Dubrovnik
London Gatwick – Faro
London Gatwick – Funchal
London Gatwick – Lanzarote
London Gatwick – Larnaca
London Gatwick – Malaga
London Gatwick – Paphos
London Gatwick – Rhodes
London Gatwick – Tenerife South
London Gatwick – Thessaloniki
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by florens
This will be BA's leased Titan A320 operation:
Will these Titan A320 be able to cope with the huge amounts of carry on we can expect on these summer routes?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC, Silver
Originally Posted by LapLap

Will these Titan A320 be able to cope with the huge amounts of carry on we can expect on these summer routes?
why wouldn’t they cope?

On some of these routes cabin baggage shouldn’t be an issue anyway as it’s all holiday makers (SKG, RHO, TFS).
the weekend break type destinations (ALC, BRI) may still be a problem . . .
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SussexFly

why wouldn’t they cope?

On some of these routes cabin baggage shouldn’t be an issue anyway as it’s all holiday makers (SKG, RHO, TFS).
the weekend break type destinations (ALC, BRI) may still be a problem . . .
London - Alicante is a main route for me (my mother is Spanish) and, as I said, I haven't flown BA there for many years.

With FR/U2 the LON-ALC flights can barely cope with the amount of hand luggage - and that's with the old 1 piece only rules which demand smaller cases than BAs.

FR are getting around this by changing their rules so that only those who pay for priority boarding get to take their main cabin bags in the cabin with them - although a smaller bag is now also allowed.

Am not familiar with the Titan Airways cabins - am wondering if they can cope with the BA policies that now encourage people (like me) to use their maximum entitlement of cabin baggage (rather than pay an additional £30 + €40 for hold luggage).

My parents will have cabin luggage only for a 6 week stay, my daughter for a month stay, and me for a three week stay. We're not unusual!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, Silver
Originally Posted by LapLap

London - Alicante is a main route for me (my mother is Spanish) and, as I said, I haven't flown BA there for many years.

With FR/U2 the LON-ALC flights can barely cope with the amount of hand luggage - and that's with the old 1 piece only rules which demand smaller cases than BAs.

FR are getting around this by changing their rules so that only those who pay for priority boarding get to take their main cabin bags in the cabin with them - although a smaller bag is now also allowed.

Am not familiar with the Titan Airways cabins - am wondering if they can cope with the BA policies that now encourage people (like me) to use their maximum entitlement of cabin baggage (rather than pay an additional £30 + €40 for hold luggage).

My parents will have cabin luggage only for a 6 week stay, my daughter for a month stay, and me for a three week stay. We're not unusual!
Ahh LON-ALC. All too familiar with the nightmare of hand baggage!

From what I’ve heard Titan have larger overhead lockers and the crew are pro-active - however I haven’t flown with Titan so can’t confirm this.

You pack well to fit all that in cabin baggage!
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The Titan aircraft are a bit like stepping back in time with seat depth measure in inches rather than millimetres. The amount of storage space per passenger is generous, if they are the same aircraft used a year or two back. Moreover the gap between you and the seat in front means that even if the bag does go under the seat, it may not be much of an issue. In any case LGW is usually easier than LHR, in this respect.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brilliant! Good to know!

(Alough, on this route, stepping back in time would have its downsides. I remember seats that faced fellow passengers that shared a typical tight seat pitch floor gap. We had to sit facing other people with our legs literally interlaced between each others'. Ah, the "good ole days"!)

Hot weather, packing cubes and plenty of determination. And cheers, BA! You're letting me take my Züca this summer. ¡Qué bien!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.