Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Seems quite harsh. Whenever I travel with my army backback, which when tested is obviously positive, I never really have a problem being let through anyway (after the backpack has been searched.). I never thought these tests are enough basis to actually have yourself been put in handcuffs as there are so many reasons why this test can be positive. A small logical explanation normally suffizes.
Same here, I regularly test positive due to stuff my suitcase picks up at work but have never had anything more unpleasant than a 5 minute wait while they search the bag.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not my photo, just spotted on Twitter:

Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Snap! ... Well, two feet instead of one, but my culprit reached higher!!
Attached Images  
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:44 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Classy
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Classy
You wouldn't get that on EK...

*Just people washing their feet in the sinks
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Quite well polished toe caps though.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Nice. Dark shoes, Dark jeans and WHITE Socks!!!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Boarding QF923 CNS-SYD during the last week.
I noticed a guy a couple of places ahead of me in the business line with two large rollers and a sizeable backpack each piece sporting a BA gold tag. The lady heading the boarding is someone who if you are familiar with CNS and I say she exudes don't mess with me you'll know who I mean.
I know exactly who you are talking about. It sounds like he got off lightly! Of all the people to try it on with
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold

I’ll see your shoes in CE, and raise to socks in F......
Steve_ZA likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Not my photo, just spotted on Twitter:
I have to say, the angle is quite impressive. Always wonder whether these positions are actually comfortable though?!
Steve_ZA and ben1991 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8633261.html

Not BA but perhaps the ultimate DYKWIA incident....although she didn't mention any FF status...

Originally Posted by xPositor
Every backpack sold should come with an instruction card as to when to carry it by hand rather than on the back. DYKYAWABP (Do you know you are wearing a back pack).
Quite some time ago flying AA during disembarkation I was almost knocked in the face by a guy with a backpack as he slung it over his shoulder. He should have known better given his AA EXP tag had a 28MM indicator on it. Unfortunately he was too busy trying to impress the young ladies in front of him about the airlines he'd flown lately to notice his amateur mistake. My reaction:

(AA used to count all miles earned towards lifetime status so whilst he hadn't flown 28 million miles he should have better backpack technique)
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Fraser
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8633261.html

Not BA but perhaps the ultimate DYKWIA incident....although she didn't mention any FF status...
I've seen plenty of DYKIAL (Did You Know I'm A Lawyer) and plenty of DYKWIA, but rarely the two combined. Thanks for this.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by mattyw
Quite well polished toe caps though.
I was just thinking that, they would pass muster. Though he’s still wearing a pair of those awful quarter brogue oxfords!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Seems quite harsh. Whenever I travel with my army backback, which when tested is obviously positive, I never really have a problem being let through anyway (after the backpack has been searched.). I never thought these tests are enough basis to actually have yourself been put in handcuffs as there are so many reasons why this test can be positive. A small logical explanation normally suffizes.
Well, that's what happened, albeit it wasn't long before the cuffs came off. But everyone was quite alarmed as they found the cutters and after the explosives test. Cops mentioned something about procedures.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Strange thing I saw on a flight today.

Boarding process is ongoing.

A man is talking on the phone on earphones/microphone while stowing his baggage and doing it extremely slowly, creating a queue down the aisle because no-one can get past. He completely obliviously continues to yap on the phone and faffs around with his baggage.

I am safely seated in a window seat, watching the process.

The lady behind him who had been blocked by this mobile-phone-talking-slow-baggage-stowage chap eventually said to him, "Would you mind, as you are slowing down the boarding process and holding people up?"

His response? "Oh it's OK! It won't leave without any of you!" in a really chirpy way, and carried on faffing about and talking on the phone

The lady looked rather shocked by this rather blasé response but said, "Um... I guess that is true... I guess... Um... I guess... "

At which point I could only look towards the window and try not to laugh out loud at this man's brazen attitude, innocence, cheek, or whatever... or maybe DYKWIA. No idea which!

Anyway, that was one of the more weird interactions I have seen on board.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.